Street photography in France

RedSnapper

Winding down in Paris, brief comments:

(Yankee point-of-view)

took 1200+ public photos, only waved off a few times;

need "smoking" photos?  almost everyone in Paris does it;

[snip]

this explains to me why Euro stock shooter don't get in close

on strangers -- its exhausting to find those who OK it...

Looking forward to camera-friendly Beijing & Hong Kong!

Jeff... I think you had an easier time than Paris than you realise. Yourself, (and Julian I believe), chose to visit Paris in August... which is the month many, if not most, Parisians choose to leave their city for their maisons secondaires in the sud-Touraine, seaside, mountains, etc. Had you visited during any other month, "le look froid" would have been more apparent! However, your French phrase was/is a good one to remember as I, un etranger, also find street photography difficult after residing here for more than a decade!

Ed Buziak.

Yikes! Article 9 has been in place for 23 years now? I thought it was a lot more recent. That means I've been in Paris street-shooting people twice since that law was passed. And so aggressive I was. This butcher did a fake attack on me with a cleaver held high. I didn't move an inch. But I wonder what I would have done had I been aware I was breaking the law. 

Winding down in Paris, brief comments:

(Yankee point-of-view)

took 1200+ public photos, only waved off a few times;

need "smoking" photos?  almost everyone in Paris does it;

[snip]

this explains to me why Euro stock shooter don't get in close

on strangers -- its exhausting to find those who OK it...

Looking forward to camera-friendly Beijing & Hong Kong!

Jeff... I think you had an easier time than Paris than you realise. Yourself, (and Julian I believe), chose to visit Paris in August... which is the month many, if not most, Parisians choose to leave their city for their maisons secondaires in the sud-Touraine, seaside, mountains, etc. Had you visited during any other month, "le look froid" would have been more apparent! However, your French phrase was/is a good one to remember as I, un etranger, also find street photography difficult after residing here for more than a decade!

Ed Buziak.

And I'm back again tomorrow :D

Last week, I set up a tripod to take a photo of a café near to Notre Dame. There were around 3 or 4 people sat outside. i got some looks but I tried not make eye contact. I made out that I was photographing the café itself and not the people when I was doing exactly that.

Tomorrow, it's a non-photographic trip as i'll be showing my dad around. however, I will have my gear and will be going for people shots in Montmartre.

If I had known you were so close Jeff and I'd been visiting Paris on my own I'd have asked to meet up. I'm a pretty good french speaker and so may have been able to get you a little further.

No worries Jeff! We'll probably pass somewhere this morning without knowing it. Just look for someone with a camera rucksack and big manfrotto tripod ;)

Can I ask how you ask the question of "can I take your photo?" Normally, the first reaction I get is "what's it for? why?"

Yep, Ed I only live 1 hour away from Paris by TGV :D

My dad is over here with us for a holiday. He loves going to Paris and so less than a week later I was back again.

I'm back again next week but only to take him to the airport. Jeff, note that you can get a hefty fine if shooting at french airports. And I believe that this especially applies to the exterior.

EDIT: Whoops! Didn't see Ed was responding to Jeff :wacko:

Archived