Hello everyone,

My questions may seem they come from a noob because in reality, they do. I often see a lot of people talking about CTR and Zooms, what are those and where can I check my stats?

I have 66 pictures uploaded and on sale (I understand that's nothing), but my question is, how many pictures did you guys have before the first sale popped up? I have less than half of that on other sites and have had a few sales, though not many to be honest.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks everyone.

David

Edit - I've found out what CTR and Zooms are since creating this post hence I edited the post.

Hi David,

I had my first sale after 3 months on Alamy, with somewhere between 2-400 pictures uploaded (can't remember exactly), and have had at least one sale every month since, while steadily increasing numbers of images. But I guess really it all depends on what people are searching for!

You've got some great pictures! I'm sure it won't be long  :) You might want to add more keywords though, as it is the keywords that will get your pictures seen. E.g. the Rock of Cashel ones, you might want to add castle (dunno if it is a castle but looks like one to me!), county, irish, etc. Or the museum one you could add sign, entrance etc. Plus your chap blowing the bubble, you haven't got 'man' or 'male' in there. And you could add bearded, sweets, candy,confectionary etc.

Also look at All of Alamy for what customers have searched before. 

I'm a relative noob too though really - Almost coming up to a year on Alamy so I'm sure some more experienced folk will have some other advice. But hope you find this helpful in the meantime.

Good luck  :)

You've got some great pictures! I'm sure it won't be long  :) You might want to add more keywords though, as it is the keywords that will get your pictures seen. E.g. the Rock of Cashel ones, you might want to add castle (dunno if it is a castle but looks like one to me!), county, irish, etc. Or the museum one you could add sign, entrance etc. Plus your chap blowing the bubble, you haven't got 'man' or 'male' in there. And you could add bearded, sweets, candy,confectionary etc.

Also look at All of Alamy for what customers have searched before.

That makes perfect sense, if the pictures cannot be found, they won't be sold. I'll try to add more keywords, thanks for the tip, and for the kind comments.

Thanks to everyone else that replied, nice to see a friendly community. First impressions count :)

David

Helo Baco,

Just to clarify....

I see that you write that you made already few sales on other sites. I am almost sure that your are talking about microstock. Just to let you know that you can not compare the way how Alamy works with them. You can make on a microstock site in 6 months for example 30 sales with 50 images for a net total of 30 dollars. But then on the 6th month you can get theoretically the first sale on Alamy that nets you 35 dollars. Alamy you get less sales but the net revenue will be on 90 percent of the times much higher. So dont look yet at the quantity of sales.

Good luck by the way!!!! ;)

Mirco

But then on the 6th month you can get theoretically the first sale on Alamy that nets you 35 dollars. Alamy you get less sales but the net revenue will be on 90 percent of the times much higher. So dont look yet at the quantity of sales.

Good luck by the way!!!! ;)

Mirco

I've noticed Alamy is different in many aspects, just wanted to get an idea of how it worked in terms of sales, not comparing it to microstock sites specifically. Thanks Mirco.

I got sales right away, but then again I started with about 15,000 images (in the good ol' days). That way I could maintain my medium rank (newbies start with a medium rank), improve it over time and now I have several sales per day.

In fact it's a virtuous circle: regular sales >> good ranking >> good visibility >> regular sales. As I said, you start with a medium rank. It's up to you to hold on to it  -_-

Cheers,

Philippe

Very interesying Philippe, cheers.

I joined in October, 2012, uploaded 50 in November and had my first sale on December 9th, 2012. I've had 213 sales so far if I include my Stockimo IPhone photos for sale on Alamy.

You should ad the keywords ,copy space, to your bubble gum photos. Use the commas to keep it as a set of words. Don't write ,copy, space, instead use ,copy space, . I also add US, USA, UK, etc. as keywords to my photos. Alamy claims dog and cat photos are their most searched for keywords year after year. I like your Grinch cat idea. If you own a cat or a dog you could add a Santa hat, Halloween costumes, Happy New Year crown, Birthday cupcake, pets with a glass of champagne and confetti, Valentine's Day heart, etc. Best of luck to you!

I think the main word in stock photography is "S T O C K" ;) Question is "at which point do photographers have sufficient images to call it stock?". 20? 150? 500? 1000? 3000? 10,000?

Just my two cents, but most jump in this business way too soon (to make it worthwhile, rewarding and motivating). Just a general observation.

Cheers,

Philippe

STOCK =   Stock photography takes Time, Observation, Concentration and Knowledge.

You read it here first folks.

Allan

It took several months, 150 images, but that was back in 2009. Different time. 

I have had such a wide assortment of images sell here for prices all the way up to $400 (last year), so as Mirco says, one good sale can top what you make in a month or so on other sites. 

Archived