Upload news images - how long?

Morning all!

As I have access to the News Upload in My Images I'm hoping to take advantage of it today.

If I upload something, how long does it take to get up online? I ask as The Tour de France arrives in my city today for the finish and I'd like to take advantage of that fact to get something up if I can.

Any help is appreciated.

Jools

Morning Jools. Once uploaded via News (I use the ftp upload) images are usually online in 2-3 minutes. What will hold them up is incorrect labelling, so make sure you follow the guidelines.

I tend to upload an initial batch of 6 images to get things started then upload the remaining shots in batches if I have a large shoot. All the remaining shots in the batch will be attached to the initial images.

"All the remaining shots in the batch will be attached to the initial images."

If, and only if, you have entered identical text in the 'headline' field in the IPTC. I do news all the time, and still i sometimes forget to enter the info in the blimmin headline

km

Enjoy Le Tour (wave to TV camera, I’m watching it today). I shot the finish at our local village of Bourg St Maurice a couple or three years ago and also the Paris last day around 2 years ago. Get there sufficiently early to photograph Le Caravanne which comes into town in front of the competitors, usually very colourful. Take a fast lens!

Thanks Malcolm. I've got an f2.8 28-70L for my Canon so that will definitely be fast enough. And it is also nice weather right now so the light should be strong enough. I think it gets here around 5PM. The finish is about 1.5 miles away from home and it'll mean a swift walk to get there and wade through the crowds.

Best of luck Jools, I'll look out for your shots.  It's such an interesting sport to watch and photograph.  I've been to Paris for the final stage the last couple of years - last year I uploaded some photos to the news feed and although nothing came of it initially, once the photos entered the stock archive they've generated a lot of zooms and so far one decent sale (CMD69G).

Cool! That's what I want to hear Neville :D

What I'm wondering is the time delay factor. I believe the finalist should arrive around 5PM ish. If I was able to get back within an 1 hour or so is this too late? As well, the tour starts here tomorrow. Is it worth getting some general shots of the riders and will they be able accepted on the news feed?

I think every minute counts so the sooner the better, but an hour after the event is better than 2 hours or never... And yes I believe rider shots before tomorrow's stage would also be accepted into the news feed - I've successfully submitted these sorts of photos for a recent cycle event in London.  I think there's a healthy market for "behind the scenes" shots, just look at the great work people like Sky's Scott Mitchell produce.

I’ve sold several Tour shots from the finish at Bourg St Maurice and also the final lap in Paris. Unless you have an official press pass and upload facilities on-site then the official shooters will have images on the wires almost immediately. The Bourg finish was an alpine stage so tail-enders were coming in around 40 minutes after the front sprinters. The crowds at Bourg, which is a relatively sleepy alpine village/town, were immense so difficult to move around near the finish line. Bourg was also a start the next day and it was easy to get up close to a number of the competitors prior to the race start, so worth getting out quite early again tomorrow

I would try and focus on the unusual and stay away from the standard rider shots. The 'official' media will have it covered. They have photographers on bikes and they will be positioned on the finish line.

You, however, have the ability to focus on the crowd, banners, sponsors etc to get a good selection of atmosphere shots.

Interesting, thanks Andrew. But would they still be eligible for the news feed? 

I'm being cautious as I've never used it. Since I have it, i don't want to lose the right to it through stupidity.

Oh, and i remember the riders. Ignorant at that! Two years ago, I nabbed a place in a village to get the riders. What happens? A rider comes along and stands right in front of me! Completely balls'ed up what I wanted.

Interesting, thanks Andrew. But would they still be eligible for the news feed? 

Yes, there is always the need for GV (General View) shots. It helps to illustrate an article with more than just rider shots. For example, have a look at this article;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-2359055/Tour-France-Mark-Cavendish-insists-Tom-Veelers-stage-10-crash-fault.html

The shots of the riders across the field, the photo of Santa as the riders flash by.

Have a look at the Guardian / Telegraph / Mail website as they all have good coverage.

"If I was able to get back within an 1 hour or so is this too late?"

for 'hot' news of the winners, yes - the agencies will have wired them off within seconds...

for gv's, possibly not

km

That is what I thought. Still, I'll make an effort to get out!

Don't forget that the newspapers have deadlines for next morning's editions. Most are around 17:30 - 18:00 the previous evening so you really have to hit those times to give yourself the best chance of a sale.

OK? I got something!!!

Can anyone tell me if this caption is OK in terms of news: The front runners in the 12th stage of the Tour de France 2013 in Tours, France, on Thursday July 11th, 2013.

Headline is: The 12th stage of the Tours de France 2013 in Tours.

OK? I got something!!!

Can anyone tell me if this caption is OK in terms of news: The front runners in the 12th stage of the Tour de France 2013 in Tours, France, on Thursday July 11th, 2013.

Headline is: The 12th stage of the Tours de France 2013 in Tours.

Is it not the "Tour De France" ?

If you look on the live news feed, you will see other TDF pictures - see how the others have done it.

Archived