Sign in to follow this  
kay

how to decide which infringements are worth reporting to Alamy?

One of my favourite photos appeared a while ago in the Telegraph picture of the day section :)  It was almost immediately copied on numerous websites around the world - in Arabic, Russian etc.  Lots refer to the original article, but not all do.  My initial thought is that it wouldn't be worth the time reporting these to Alamy but I just wondered what your thoughts and experiences on this were?  Thanks

It can also pay to pursue the infringer yourself, but blogs and most eastern and other countries may not be worthwhile, but not to say without having a closer look at the particular site.

Always best to contact Alamy to be sure you ought to go ahead yourself. (May also be the question of an unreported sale).

Ask member services to send you the infringement form, if you don't have it already. Should be filled in/out for each infringement (though sometimes some can be combined in my opinion). Remember to save screenshots, links, etc. as evidence as soon as possible - the image may be taken down. Alamy have the following terms for pursuing / chasing:

1. The images shouldn’t be sold via any other agencies or by yourself. As there are chances that we chase up the infringer and finally end up in knowing that this was properly licensed via a different agency to which you had supplied.

2. We won’t be chasing private Blog usages. You can flag Blogs for a reviewing panel to look at by filing a DMCA complaint here: http://www.google.co...ogger_dmca.html

3. We can chase usages only if it falls in the territories Germany UK, US, Canada or France.

4. We won’t be chasing usages on social media websites like Facebook, Twitter etc.

Alamy also requires an e-mail address or contact form or a way to contact the infringer on the site. (So will you. You can sometimes find a contact address by tracing the owner of the domain. But if you have to do that it probably won't be worthwhile as the owner most probably won't take responsibility)....

Edited by Niels Quist
  • Upvote 1

I had an image published in an article in the Daily Mail, which was then lifted and reproduced across multiple sites. I'm in a similar position, considering whether to chase these infringements or not. I'll probably put together a standard form e-mail, send it out and see what happens from there.    

It can also pay to pursue the infringer yourself, but blogs and most eastern and other countries may not be worthwhile, but not to say without having a closer look at the particular site.

Always best to contact Alamy to be sure you ought to go ahead yourself. (May also be the question of an unreported sale).

Ask member services to send you the infringement form, if you don't have it already. Should be filled in/out for each infringement (though sometimes some can be combined in my opinion). Remember to save screenshots, links, etc. as evidence as soon as possible - the image may be taken down. Alamy have the following terms for pursuing / chasing:

1. The images shouldn’t be sold via any other agencies or by yourself. As there are chances that we chase up the infringer and finally end up in knowing that this was properly licensed via a different agency to which you had supplied.

2. We won’t be chasing private Blog usages. You can flag Blogs for a reviewing panel to look at by filing a DMCA complaint here: http://www.google.co...ogger_dmca.html

3. We can chase usages only if it falls in the territories Germany UK, US, Canada or France.

4. We won’t be chasing usages on social media websites like Facebook, Twitter etc.

Alamy also requires an e-mail address or contact form or a way to contact the infringer on the site. (So will you. You can sometimes find a contact address by tracing the owner of the domain. But if you have to do that it probably won't be worthwhile as the owner most probably won't take responsibility)....

Thanks Niels for your helpful reply, just what I needed to know :)    I'd completely missed any reference on Alamy about which territories they covered when chasing infringements.  

Kay

• Upvote 1