2 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

Conventionally 'Description' is always the Caption, I'd be surprised if they'd departed from that. Not sure if you do News but it seems that there is no Headline Field which is required for that.

That's what I figure. I might give Xpiks a try for Alamy (not for MS).

On 16/06/2017 at 11:47, DDoug said:

I'd like to have something that, for instance, when I put in the common name of a plant or animal it gives me common names in other languages plus Latin. Or it gives alternatives, such as I put in California State Route 1 and it gives me Great Highway, SR 1, Pacific Coast Highway, PCH, Cabrillo Highway, Shoreline Highway, Coast Highway, etc.

Once you find your synonyms, you can set up keyword hierarchies in LR so the next time you type PCH, it will automatically add California State Route 1, Great Highway, SR 1, Pacific Coast Highway, Cabrillo Highway, Shoreline Highway, Coast Highway so you only have to do the research once. It's a great time saver for those pesky British/American English terms that come up often, and for flowers, trees, and other plants that I photograph regularly, as well as for locations I shoot often; coupled with keyword sets it's a great time saver. 

• Like 2

On 26/05/2016 at 05:47, Ilanphoto said:

Hi All

I have just upgraded to windows 10 which has finally killed my legacy keywording workflow

I am looking for a tool that can help me:

1. easily sort individual keywords

2. remove duplicates 

3. if it can also suggest additional keywords that would be great

4. if it could correct or warn about my atrocious spelling - even better  

Some of you oldtimers will be able to recognize this as the now, completely dead (not mostly dead), ImageKeyworder 

Thanks for any and all pointers and suggestions 

I'm in a similar boat as I  am in the process of setting up a new Win 10 machine and have discovered that I will no longer be able to use my old version of Photo Mechanic (that worked fine on Win 7) to rename files plus add captions and keywords. Hence I need to find an alternative for Alamy. One option I've been reading about is FastPhoto Tagger. It looks as if it might do the job, and it's free. Does anyone have any experience with this program?

Edited by John Mitchell

3 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I'm in a similar boat as I  am in the process of setting up a new Win 10 machine and have discovered that I will no longer be able to use my old version of Photo Mechanic (that worked fine on Win 7) to rename files plus add captions and keywords. Hence I need to find an alternative for Alamy. One option I've been reading about is FastPhoto Tagger. It looks as if it might do the job, and it's free. Does anyone have any experience with this program?

Is your Photo Mechanic older than ver 5?

camera bits PM site shows both PM 5 & 6 versions compatible with Win 7, 8, 10

https://home.camerabits.com/downloads/

30 minutes ago, Phil said:

Is your Photo Mechanic older than ver 5?

camera bits PM site shows both PM 5 & 6 versions compatible with Win 7, 8, 10

https://home.camerabits.com/downloads/

Yes, it's version 4.6.9. I contacted camera bits and they explained that v4 is no longer available. Unfortunately, my activation key won't work for v5. I've still got v4 on my W7 machine, but going back and forth between two computers will be a real pain. I can download a trial version of v6 that is good for 30 days. However, I'm not sure I want to cough up $139 US for a new licence. I like Photo Mechanic, but it's really overkill for me as I use it only for renaming, captioning and keywording. Have never used all the other features. Still, I'm going to miss it...

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

Yes, it's version 4.6.9. I contacted camera bits and they explained that v4 is no longer available. Unfortunately, my activation key won't work for v5. I've still got v4 on my W7 machine, but going back and forth between two computers will be a real pain. I can download a trial version of v6 that is good for 30 days. However, I'm not sure I want to cough up $139 US for a new licence. I like Photo Mechanic, but it's really overkill for me as I use it only for renaming, captioning and keywording. Have never used all the other features. Still, I'm going to miss it...

Sounds like they didn't offer you a reduced cost new license to upgrade to PM 5 or 6.     Considering you already were a PM 4 licensee that's a bummer.

On 22/01/2020 at 18:59, Marianne said:

Once you find your synonyms, you can set up keyword hierarchies in LR so the next time you type PCH, it will automatically add California State Route 1, Great Highway, SR 1, Pacific Coast Highway, Cabrillo Highway, Shoreline Highway, Coast Highway so you only have to do the research once. It's a great time saver for those pesky British/American English terms that come up often, and for flowers, trees, and other plants that I photograph regularly, as well as for locations I shoot often; coupled with keyword sets it's a great time saver. 

Great tip, thanks!

On 22/01/2020 at 16:00, Phil said:

Sounds like they didn't offer you a reduced cost new license to upgrade to PM 5 or 6.     Considering you already were a PM 4 licensee that's a bummer.

Just by way of a quick update, I checked an old laptop that I had installed Photo Mechanic on, and I found the setup file in the computer's downloads folder. Luckily, I hadn't deleted it. I copied it onto a thumb drive and then successfully installed the software on my new computer. Version 4 works fine with Windows 10, plus it has all the features I'll ever need. So I'm back in business. 😁

• Like 2

On 25/01/2020 at 11:24, John Mitchell said:

Just by way of a quick update, I checked an old laptop that I had installed Photo Mechanic on, and I found the setup file in the computer's downloads folder. Luckily, I hadn't deleted it. I copied it onto a thumb drive and then successfully installed the software on my new computer. Version 4 works fine with Windows 10, plus it has all the features I'll ever need. So I'm back in business. 😁

Good that you kept that setup file!

On 26/05/2016 at 07:47, Ilanphoto said:

I am looking for a tool that can help me:

1. easily sort individual keywords

2. remove duplicates 

3. if it can also suggest additional keywords that would be great

4. if it could correct or warn about my atrocious spelling - even better  

Recently I came across a couple of additional interesting keyword tools that could be helpful.

IMS Keyworder  https://imstocker.com/en/keyworder

Duplicate/repeated keyword tool   https://www.tracemyip.org/tools/remove-duplicate-words-in-text/

Also - I use Photo Mechanic to enter Captions and keywords into my image's metadata.  I recently discovered that Photo Mechanic's "Edit Keywords" tool will remove duplicate keywords that might occur from pasting keywords from different sources into PM's keyword field.

Edited by Phil

53 minutes ago, Phil said:

Recently I came across a couple of additional interesting keyword tools that could be helpful.

IMS Keyworder  https://imstocker.com/en/keyworder

Duplicate/repeated keyword tool   https://www.tracemyip.org/tools/remove-duplicate-words-in-text/

Also - I use Photo Mechanic to enter Captions and keywords into my image's metadata.  I recently discovered that Photo Mechanic's "Edit Keywords" tool will remove duplicate keywords that might occur from pasting keywords from different sources into PM's keyword field.

Thank you for the tool to remove duplicates. I have lots of those from the days of three different boxes for keywords. I found the instructions for dealing with commas didn't work but I used TextEdit to replace them with spaces and that worked. I don't think I have the patience to go through all my old images but I may do some.

Paulette

4 hours ago, NYCat said:

Thank you for the tool to remove duplicates. I have lots of those from the days of three different boxes for keywords. I found the instructions for dealing with commas didn't work but I used TextEdit to replace them with spaces and that worked. I don't think I have the patience to go through all my old images but I may do some.

Paulette

I did 5,000 and it drove me batty. Great sense of satisfaction at the end, though.

• 3 weeks later...

Talking about bringing back the dead 😀
Since 2016 when I started this topic I have been using Keywording Made Easy (KME) developed by me and programmed by Milan in Hungary 
The simple browser based tool can be found here: https://gum.co/Jbwmq 
And just for bringing this up again I have cut 30% the price until the end of the month
If you do download the tool, please let me know your thoughts