Portfolio critique

OK, great critique! I'll start by not editing photos with a laptop in a train, where tunnels alternate with sunlight etc... Work on monitor, start shooting RAW (from today on!), check all the settings everywhere, brighten up the selection of existing photos I have already chosen for the next upload and keep on practicing to control the light conditions better...

Really glad that I started the thread, I've gotten loads of very valuable information and I'm already looking at my photos with a different eye myself :). It's terribly kind of you all to take the time! Merci beaucoup!

I rarely comment on Portfolio critiques as I believe that there are many more here far more qualified to comment than I, but...don't forget that (when you have time!) you can also revisit some old pictures that you're unhappy with.  Once they are reprocessed and have passed QC, add the old image reference number to the comprehensive keywords of the improved image (just in case someone has noted that down as a potential licence), then remove all keywords, captions etc. from the old image, add some gibberish to the required fields so that it won't be found again, then permanently delete the old image.

My own 'hall of shame' :wacko: Forget subject matter for now (!), but improved image is brighter, punchier, cleaner & clearer.  Pity about the grey sky :D. Now...I must revisit my old news images...

yy-cpee59.jpg sticker-on-post-advising-dog-owners-to-u

:blink: B.t.w. is it spring already? :huh:

A quick look out of my window to see snow falling quite thickly says "No". Not in Yorkshire anyway.

Alan

I thought that was indicative of summer in Yorkshire? :P:D

I don't know why people are editing in a dark room. I do mine in my office with the curtains open sitting side on to the windows and screen at right angles to the windows too. I can see the images clearly on my 27" iMac screen.

When the sun comes round I close the thin blinds which keep me cool but still let the light in.

So long as the light is fairly constant there is no problem.

Allan

I use the same machine as you (not literally) and I edit in a darkened room. The reason is eye strain.  If it's bright in the room and I have reflections on the screen that reduces the amount of time I can edit significantly (I have regular eye checks). I bought black out material from Amazon and that reduces the light enough to help.

A quick look out of my window to see snow falling quite thickly says "No". Not in Yorkshire anyway.

Alan

My life is synchronized with that of the groundhog. When they come out, I come out. When they hibernate, I edit for auntie A.BETTY, PAULETTE, any sign of groundhogs yet?

Cheers,

Philippe

I've seen no groundhogs! Not sure we have them in Oklahoma. But we do have Prairie Dogs in the countryside, and they are breeding like bunnies! We are well into the severe storm and tornado season.

Alan

My life is synchronized with that of the groundhog. When they come out, I come out. When they hibernate, I edit for auntie A.BETTY, PAULETTE, any sign of groundhogs yet?

Cheers,

Philippe

I've seen no groundhogs! Not sure we have them in Oklahoma. But we do have Prairie Dogs in the countryside, and they are breeding like bunnies! We are well into the severe storm and tornado season.

The only New York groundhog I know is Staten Island Chuck. He makes his appearance on Groundhog Day and this is the news of his latest appearance....New York can be a tough place...

"Staten Island Chuck appeared before an excited crowd on Tuesday morning and did not see his shadow, leading to the prediction of an early spring.

There was something else — or someone, to be more precise — Chuck did not see: Mayor Bill de Blasio.

Swirling around those gathered for the Groundhog Day ceremony were whispers that the mayor had purposely avoided the event, given his troubled history with the groundhog: his 2014 fumbling of Chuck — and the creature’s subsequent death — followed by allegations of a cover-up by zoo officials."

Paulette

OK.. I don't really want to ask... but do people think that I am also suffering from "images too dark" syndrome?

I have two monitors on my desk at work and I have just "calibrated" them both.. an on one my pictures now look OK and the other.. not as good :-(

Overall, they're spot on, Matt.  A couple are a 1/3rd stop under, but whatever, like!

Archived