Digitally altering an image

Sorry, I though it was here, must have been referred to in another thread. It was about what American papers and competitions will and won't accept, some of which was contrast manipulation and old-fashioned burning in.

I suspect that 'unwanted items' may need further clarification here Charly. A crisp packet or cigarette end removed is not, to my mind, manipulation, but if a bus stop or car was 'unwanted' that I would say is. If the wind can blow it away or it moves anyway (bird in the sky) then I don't think that is loss of integrity or manipulation. 

Maybe not here in Europe for most uses, But it would definit*ly get you sacked as a PJ in the US.

That is why you have to declare those things. You can always explain: cigarette removed from Paul's hand ;-). Or removed my own shadow.

I removed some and the Reuters guidelines are for Editorial News, not all Editorial use. One site says use of Levels is alteration. But I think in the essence of this all, it's adding or removing something or creating a false impression. Still impossible to define easily. Links are interesting and Reuters was caught a number of times with their photographers altering and enhancing news images, which made them even stricter. I would think that creating signs and handing them to subjects at a protest would be wring also, or markers and cardboard. But before I diverge too far off the intended path...

You used Reuters guidelines and said in the US one would be sacked. But Reuters is in London? Did I miss something?

I have my own limits. I remove or add almost nothing, except spots and birds (which will get a rejection here as spots in the sky). The content of the image remains true. That's why I would also defend cigarette butt removal and errant waste paper, but not rubbish cans, signs, trees or wires. Hard to define a line, isn't it?

Which leads me to the conclusion. It's based on personal opinion and image integrity. A specific definition of every possible item, example or situation is impossible. Levels? Improper, really? Or misuse of the tool is improper?

Sorry, an error has occurred. Your post contains the following suspected spam word,  (someone fix this please! Can't use the word to "relate or explain like a story or identification, Begins with T and has an E and two L's) And worse I didn't use it, it was in the quoted part about "definit*ly"

Sorry, an error has occurred. Your post contains the following suspected spam word,  (someone fix this please! Can't use the word to "relate or explain like a story or identification, Begins with T and has an E and two L's) And worse I didn't use it, it was in the quoted part about "definit*ly"

Weird that.

Because it went through the first time. Lets try it again: definitely

If this board does accept mine, but not yours, you may have to start worrying ;-)

wim

I would think that desaturation was digital altering, same as color changing, like making a blue sky orange, or major color alterations of anything.

It's a tricky subject to have any solid definitions of what we can do and can't.

Sorry, an error has occurred. Your post contains the following suspected spam word, (someone fix this please! Can't use the word to "relate or explain like a story or identification, Begins with T and has an E and two L's) And worse I didn't use it, it was in the quoted part about "definit*ly"

Weird that.

Because it went through the first time. Lets try it again: definitely

If this board does accept mine, but not yours, you may have to start worrying ;-)

wim

Bleedin' heck, hope no one asks about photos of cheap kitchens

dd

BOT . . . I used to think removing cig butts was the sort of thing that would always be acceptable . . . until I got into a discussion with fellow contributor Ed Rooney about Singpaore Singapore . . .

I have pics of many streetscapes around the world and probably wouldn't hesitate to remove cig butts from them because that wouldn't really be changing anything important . . . but . . . I have one particular image of Singapore that has lots of cig butts and small pieces of litter . . . to remove them from that photo totally changes the underlying significance of the image given Singapore's carefully cultivated myth re: absence of litter. A small point assuredly, but in context one which makes me much more aware of nuance when it comes to removing "small" stuff like cig butts etc.

Which is a long-winded way of saying "it depends . . . even for otherwise insignificant cig butts" :-)

dd

I would think that desaturation was digital altering, same as color changing, like making a blue sky orange, or major color alterations of anything.

It's a tricky subject to have any solid definitions of what we can do and can't.

I've run across these images via the Alamy facebook page and many seem to be post-processed with clear colour alterations and so on, yet any I've clicked on say NO to being digitally altered.  So I'm finding this a bit confusing.

http://www.alamy.com/lightbox/viewlightbox.aspx?LB=1139910

I've run across these images via the Alamy facebook page and many seem to be post-processed with clear colour alterations and so on, yet any I've clicked on say NO to being digitally altered.  So I'm finding this a bit confusing.

You'll also find here on Alamy images with hundreds of people, performers and audience, at large outdoor events, with YES for model releases. Could be a genuine error, but when it happens several times ...

You'll also find here on Alamy images with hundreds of people, performers and audience, at large outdoor events, with YES for model releases. Could be a genuine error, but when it happens several times ...

Could that not be events that have clauses in the ticket that state you may be photographed etc, and full terms and conditions that basically include the release of images to the promoter/event organiser?

That way, everyone present has agreed to photograhpy, and the release of images etc?

Archived