"Personal Use" as option when buying an image

Two "Personal Use" sales just came in for what I consider to be quite acceptable for on the wall.

Both for $14.25 each. :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Allan

$14.25! And two of them. You're the lucky one. I've just had a $5.71 'Editorial Website' sale come through!! Let's hope it's not being used to create a print to hang on the wall. 

So what is the problem about putting a restriction on Personal Use? I know people don't want to put restrictions on their images as it is said to put customers off but it is very clear that the restriction is just on Personal Use if you do it. I've put a PU restriction on almost all of my images for now and I'll see how this plays out. 

I have already looked into this but when I tried it it appeared that I was placing a wider gamut of restrictions on the images as well as the personal use.

Maybe I was doing it wrong. Do you have a step by step guide?

Allan

So what is the problem about putting a restriction on Personal Use? I know people don't want to put restrictions on their images as it is said to put customers off but it is very clear that the restriction is just on Personal Use if you do it. I've put a PU restriction on almost all of my images for now and I'll see how this plays out.

Images with restrictions are not available for sale to distributors.

Jill

Is that correct Jill?

Just had another: -

Usage: Personal use, Personal prints, cards and gifts. Non-commercial use only, not for resale.

Media: Non-commercial, one time, personal/home use

Start: 05 May 2016

End: 05 May 2021

of Lindsay Wagner at Comic Con,$14.99, my last one was $20.24?? 

Another question, is why is it 5 years for personal use, when you can have?

Usage: iQ sale: Magazine, Editorial website use.Any size.Any Placement.One time use only.

Industry sector: Media, design & publishing

Start: 10 March 2016

End: 10 April 2016

Doesn't make sense to me?

Has Alamy got back to anyone with regards to opting out on the new website?

Perhaps she ordered it herself, although you'd think she'd have enough of herself. Or a fan wants it and his phonepix aren't too hot.

I just had one of those sales and I'm not overly thrilled, it way undercut my price for the same print on FAA. The subject is one that will likely be passed around and reprinted numerous times. I wish there was a way to opt out.

Suddenly personal use is starting to look good. This was a direct Alamy sale that showed up today:

Usage: Editorial
Media: Editorial website
Image Size: Any size
Start: 06 May 2016
End: 06 May 2021
Editorial web use, multiple placement; rights granted in line with customer agreement which may vary from invoice details above.

$10.00 (yup, you read it right)

I had this sale this morning. Very typical fine art (ID of image below). Actually I fear cards be found in racks all over soon. I am going to delete relevant keywords and delete this image. About $7 in it for me.

Image ID:  EYG2WE

Usage: Personal use, Personal prints, cards and gifts. Non-commercial use only, not for resale.
Media: Non-commercial, one time, personal/home use

Edited: I better set restrictions - perhaps delete relevant keywords - and leave it as evidence for later infringement cases.

Perhaps she ordered it herself, although you'd think she'd have enough of herself. Or a fan wants it and his phonepix aren't too hot.

Yeah, I'd presume a fan, but you never know, maybe she keeps a record? All three of my "personal use" sales have been celebrity driven, musicians, cyclist & now an actor, which I'd rather came off my website.

Obviously as John Mitchell has said, some editorial are pretty naff, I had one in The Guardian that was a similar price, but we need an easier opt out and it's annoying if it means we miss out on other sales.

From Alamy's point of view it's great, lots of additional £5-£10 income coming in

CC

Been having another think.  When I had images on POD sites I never had a sale through them although there were some individuals who kept coming back for another look and another look and so on.  These people were probably so called "artists" who were copying my work as their own.  Those are the reasons I pulled my images from those sites.

So if I can achieve some "personal" sales here, well, hey, it is extra income and, be it small it all adds up.

Maybe I will run with it for the time being.

Allan

Had one of those myself this morning:

Start: 01 April 2016
End: 01 April 2021

Gross value:   $11.03

Images with restrictions are not available for sale to distributors.

Jill

Is that correct Jill?

Yes, fotoDogue pointed it out to me in an earlier post.

Quote from the Contract:

Distribution {participating in distribution is optional}

1. If you agree to your images being licensed to end user customers through any third party appointed by Alamy ('a Distributor'), in territories to which you have given your agreement then all of your images will be available for sale by distributors in the territories specified. You confirm your agreement through the Alamy website or by e-mail
  2. Images which have any restrictions in place will be excluded from the distribution scheme.

Jill

Had one of those myself this morning:

Start: 01 April 2016

End: 01 April 2021

Gross value:   $11.03

Yes, same here......but what I don't understand is the "any size" part. I had one of these licence to an Italian website not long ago and it is on their website at full resolution....quite why a full resolution file is needed on a website for anyone to "borrow"......

Suddenly personal use is starting to look good. This was a direct Alamy sale that showed up today:

Editorial web use, multiple placement; rights granted in line with customer agreement which may vary from invoice details above.

$10.00 (yup, you read it right)

To quote myself, what I find disturbing about this sale is that it's a direct (non-distributor) sale. I'm used to low distributor sales and expect them. However, this one looks like a quick and simple, five-year, worldwide  Web use license. Hopefully $10 isn't going to be the new $39.95. Anyway, sorry to veer away from the personal use discussion. Was just taken aback a bit...

had a personal/home use pop in. Packets of flower seeds. Really!!

Seems like there are too many questions over these licences for them all to be genuine, especially looking at the content. maybe the "buyer" should have to fill in on the purchase the actual use they intend and then have to follow up with photographic evidence of such use OR maybe the licence should have a term and condition that states that usage other than home/personal carries a surcharge of £1000 if discovered. maybe this would put off many scammers

kevin

Price-wise I am receiving more for personal use than I am for some editorial licences on the newspaper scheme, BUT I would love to see a photograph of this image hanging on somebodies wall :-)

stacked-refrigerated-containers-at-a-con

had a personal/home use pop in. Packets of flower seeds. Really!!

Seems like there are too many questions over these licences for them all to be genuine, especially looking at the content. maybe the "buyer" should have to fill in on the purchase the actual use they intend and then have to follow up with photographic evidence of such use OR maybe the licence should have a term and condition that states that usage other than home/personal carries a surcharge of £1000 if discovered. maybe this would put off many scammers

kevin

Alamy doesn't care. 

Cheers,

Philippe

Sorry to read this given our response back a few pages ago.

We've been letting this run but the thread has now run it's course. 

We have processes in place to follow up on personal use licences but if you are concerned about any specific licences you sell then please email memberservices@alamy.com and they'll be happy to investigate.

Thanks

Alamy

Archived