chrumu

"Personal Use" as option when buying an image

I have 26 images with artistic things done to them that was on my POD site that I thought I'd try here.  Keywords were calendars, greeting cards, posters, etc.  I listed them as RF.  Because of the RF designation, I couldn't go in and restrict personal use.  I don't want these images sold for $14.99 when somebody decides to cheat and to make a batch of calendars, posters or whatever and sell them commercially, nor do I want to compete with myself on my POD site, considering I can get a lot more for them than $14.99 for wall art. These are images that I've put a lot of myself into and spent a lot of time doing the artistic work.  

I stripped all the keywords and put nonsense letters in the "have to" fields a couple of days ago, and today put them up for deletion.  A shame I feel forced into it.

... but indications are -- in this thread anyway -- that these types of images aren't selling as personal use.

Maybe not yet, John, until people who shop on POD sites discover it. I would expect that might take awhile. I'm getting out ahead of it.

• Upvote 3

Maybe not yet, John, until people who shop on POD sites discover it. I would expect that might take awhile. I'm getting out ahead of it.

I think its only a matter of time.  Alamy has only been available in Google search for a few months.  I'm sure that is where a lot of people do their searches for personal images.  Be interesting to see over the next year.

Jill

• Upvote 1

If you upload the same images here that is on a POD site, use RM, because you can restrict personal use. I found only one or two of mine were RM, the rest RF. That's why I have them up for deletion. If I decide to upload them again, they'll be RM, since none of them have sold here.

Sale appeared today $10.68. Why would someone want this for personal use?

the-bottom-of-an-empty-margarine-tub-f3c

Regards

Craig

• Upvote 2

Regards

Craig

Of course, if they want a Rothko, why not this one?

I bet it was Saatchi.

wim

• Upvote 3

Alamy??

Anything to say?

Edited by Arletta
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

"Personally, I rarely kick furniture for fear of stubbing my toe."

I won't be kicking furniture either, since I have a broken little toe after stubbing it on a doorframe. Sounded like a small caliber gun going off. (Squirm) I'm 6 weeks out, now, and I'm finally thinking about trying regular shoes after all this time wearing flip-flops.

Regards

Craig

Well, it is a colourful abstract design, and there's no telling what someone might want to hang next to the fridge. But, yeah, it's not a subject you'd typically expect for personal use, However, it would make an effective "good to the very last scrape" image for a butter or margarine ad, which might be what you had in mind.

Edited by John Mitchell

Regards

Craig

Well, it is a colourful abstract design, and there's no telling what someone might want to hang next to the fridge. But, yeah, it's not a subject you'd typically expect for personal use, However, it would make an effective "good to the very last scrape" image for a butter or margarine ad, which might be what you had in mind.

The mind boggles John but I like your thinking.

Regards

Craig

"Personally, I rarely kick furniture for fear of stubbing my toe."

I won't be kicking furniture either, since I have a broken little toe after stubbing it on a doorframe. Sounded like a small caliber gun going off. (Squirm) I'm 6 weeks out, now, and I'm finally thinking about trying regular shoes after all this time wearing flip-flops.

Steel-toe-cap-flip-flops is what you need ;) 

Cheers,

Philippe

Lol. I was actually barefoot when I stubbed it on a 3 am run to the bathroom.

The flip flops are he only shoes I can wear while healing.

OK so we have Personal Use. Why not do a deal with a picture framing printing company and incorporate it into Alamy and then advertise it. Most people want a picture to hang on the wall if it is for Personall use. You get a fee for the image and  a  cut of the printing. Do'n't Getty do this?

• Upvote 1

OK so we have Personal Use. Why not do a deal with a picture framing printing company and incorporate it into Alamy and then advertise it. Most people want a picture to hang on the wall if it is for Personall use. You get a fee for the image and  a  cut of the printing. Do'n't Getty do this?

In principle, an excellent idea - but in practice, if the model of that big g-agency whose name we shouldn't mention is followed, we might be better off financially with the status quo! 

• Upvote 1

This "Personal Use" popped into my sales today......I would love to see how this is used for a personal reason.

usa-virginia-mclean-va--hilton-worldwide

• Upvote 1

This "Personal Use" popped into my sales today......I would love to see how this is used for a personal reason.

Uh-oh!

P.S. it would have made sense as "presentation" use, though. I had an image of an upscale Vancouver hotel lease for presentation.

Edited by John Mitchell

We may have doubts about these usages, but they could  be legitimate. I've had a personal use licence for the logo of a major UK Financial Institution. Perhaps someone was leaving and they used it in a leaving card?

Are Alamy following up in investigating a sample of these licences to find out, in more detail, what they are being used for? They may be legitimate use, it may be that the licence description isn't clear to the buyers or it may be that people are just taking advantage of the lowest cost licence.

Any action or reassurance to contributors needs to be based on facts, not speculation, so let's hope that Alamy are actively trying to establish those facts.

• Upvote 5

In the case of Michael's image, I suppose that someone who works for Hilton might want to make a print to hang on an office wall. However, unless the office was in the person's home, wouldn't that be internal business use or something similar?

Edited by John Mitchell

In the case of Michael's image, I suppose that someone who works for Hilton might want to make a print to hang on an office wall. However, unless the office was in the person's home, wouldn't that be internal business use or something similar?

That's what I wonder too. Is it that the licence terms are not clear or are they, in fact, covered by a personal use licence for that type of usage?

If I were buying a print to hang in my office, I might well take the view that it was for personal use. Maybe "Internal Business Usage" would cover it, but I could quickly convince myself that a licence costing hundreds of pounds was clearly not the right one.

That's what I wonder too. Is it that the licence terms are not clear or are they, in fact, covered by a personal use licence for that type of usage?

If I were buying a print to hang in my office, I might well take the view that it was for personal use. Maybe "Internal Business Usage" would cover it, but I could quickly convince myself that a licence costing hundreds of pounds was clearly not the right one.

Yes, I could see easily talking myself into the less expensive option if I were a buyer. It's a slippery slope offering personal use unless the restrictions are clearly defined -- e.g. in the case of prints, "not to be displayed in a business environment." 

• Upvote 1

I could easily see small businesses (or large ones too, I suppose) getting prints made for their wall decor. Such as a Thai restaurant getting really good photos of Thailand for their decor.

I could easily see small businesses (or large ones too, I suppose) getting prints made for their wall decor. Such as a Thai restaurant getting really good photos of Thailand for their decor.

But wouldn't that still be "indoor display"? I would think that "personal use" would mean in-home use, either in the buyer's home(s) or someone else's in the case of a gift, not display in a commercial / business environment

Or am I missing something? What exactly is the "indoor display" option in the price calculator?

Edited by John Mitchell

Two "Personal Use" sales just came in for what I consider to be quite acceptable for on the wall.

Both for $14.25 each. :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Allan

My biggest-ever sale was for "internal business usage/internal poster/decor (1 usage only)". I'd hate anyone to get that for $14 now.

• Upvote 1

So what is the problem about putting a restriction on Personal Use? I know people don't want to put restrictions on their images as it is said to put customers off but it is very clear that the restriction is just on Personal Use if you do it. I've put a PU restriction on almost all of my images for now and I'll see how this plays out. 

• Upvote 2

I've done it on my newly-scanned archival stuff, but since I haven't had any of these sales yet I'll be sitting it out.