"Personal Use" as option when buying an image

Maybe you are right, but... Alamy forum is open for everyone and I believe it should be in Alamy's highest interest to make their contributors happy - it's us, photographers who support Alamy with our images, right? People who read the forum can find out what is happening here and be encouraged or discouraged to join/ upload/ support the agency. I like Alamy, I treat them seriously and I hope that their bad decisions will not make me stop trusting them for future. We all know how very important it is to trust each other, we already have excellent examples of what happens with agencies who are not fair with their photogs ;)

Ps. Anyone else has problem with posting today?

I totally agree, I would much prefer for them to respond here, I think we all have a right to know what is going on. But so far we don't have much info from them - that is why I think it best to email them and perhaps if they get enough complaints they will take some action. They will probably only respond to specific enquiries resulting from a sale to the seller anyway, not openly on a forum - that seller can report back here if they wish.

Yes I like Alamy too, although I am a little down on them just now because of the poor sales figures recently - low distributor sales, etc. But I do hope it will improve and I totally agree it is in all our best interests to work together. But I am spending today on video production, not images.

At Chris M - no I didn't opt out, along with the appallingly bad distributor sales I have had good ones, some excellent ones.

Too bad the people complaining about low distributor sales didn't take the opportunity to opt out last month.  And I wonder how many of them are the same people who have stated that "any sale is better than nothing".  

To give Alamy its due, it is the only agency I know of that will allow contributors to opt out of distributor sales.  

Chris (opted out to all but a handful of distributor countries)

Then you don't know much ;) There are other agencies (and I'm not talking about micros) that allow us to opt out and even to choose which one opt out ;)

And as Callie says, there are nice sales through distribs., so not really worth to opt out here. The other thing is the flood of cheap prices may annoy a lot.

• Upvote 1

Too bad the people complaining about low distributor sales didn't take the opportunity to opt out last month.  

Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought April was the opt-out month. I opted out of several Eastern European distributors earlier this month. I was surprised nobody has started a thread on this.

Looking over the Contributor pages it seems images which carry restrictions are automatically opted out from distribution. I presume this means all of my images where I've added No Personal Use will only be available directly through Alamy. (so confusing)

http://www.alamy.com/terms/contributor.asp#Distribution

Edited by fotoDogue
  • Upvote 3

Too bad the people complaining about low distributor sales didn't take the opportunity to opt out last month.  

Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought April was the opt-out month. I opted out of several Eastern European distributors earlier this month. I was surprised nobody has started a thread on this.

Looking over the Contributor pages it seems images which carry restrictions are automatically opted out from distribution. I presume this means all of my images where I've added No Personal Use will only be available directly through Alamy. (so confusing)

http://www.alamy.com/terms/contributor.asp#Distribution

That's how I read it.  Any restrictions and those images will not be available through distributors.  I wonder why?  I've had a few low sales via distributors, but a few good dollar ones as well.  So does this mean I have to decide between allowing personal use or distribution?  There must be a reason for this.

Jill

Same here Jill. I had some good sales in Japan so I don't want to opt-out of that. I wish there was a way to prevent low cost print sales and still participate in the distribution network. I also wish there was a way to search for restrictions if I decide I want to remove the Personal Use restriction.

• Upvote 4

Take a look at the Twitter feed. There is a Vlog about the difference between Personal Use and Presentation. In that video Personal Use does not show on the preview page. You have to go down into "Or choose another Rights-managed image". Here in the USA Personal Use is still right on top.

Paulette

Take a look at the Twitter feed. There is a Vlog about the difference between Personal Use and Presentation. In that video Personal Use does not show on the preview page. You have to go down into "Or choose another Rights-managed image". Here in the USA Personal Use is still right on top.

Paulette

It's easy to see where the fault lies: "and it's already highlighted" = it's the default.

wim

... Here in the USA Personal Use is still right on top.

Paulette

From my computer (in Canada), Personal Use is on top as well (and highlighted), and it's a third less the cost than as shown in the video (9.99 pounds for both presentation & personal use).

You notice she says  "Oh, I'd like to have that in my house"  making it sound like its okay to purchase and make a large print of the image to hang on a wall.  Does not mention its for small use such as greeting cards.  

She is very specific on the presentation use, but not  the personal use.

Jill

Edited by Jill Morgan

It doesn't look as if the quick and simple "personal use" option is going to disappear any time soon, so hopefully Alamy will have success tracking down abusers.

Re competing with one's images on POD sites, my guess is that most people will continue to prefer POD sites for prints because they provide convenient one-stop shopping -- i.e. printing and framing.

Personal and presentation uses strike me as being a lot like the distributor plan in that they won't be big revenue earners, but they should have secondary benefits such as improved CTR, ranking, etc.

Just trying look on the brighter side...

Edited by John Mitchell

You notice she says  "Oh, I'd like to have that in my house"  making it sound like its okay to purchase and make a large print of the image to hang on a wall.  Does not mention its for small use such as greeting cards.  

She is very specific on the presentation use, but not  the personal use.

Jill

But Jill, the personal use license IS for prints, cards and gifts which is why Alamy allows full size downloads and is the reason why people are unhappy as it competes with POD.  Also there is nothing to stop the purchaser making umpteen prints.

Pearl

• Upvote 1

I'l just add one thing - this is the situation which convinces me that I took the good steps and choose all my new work as RM only. Will be easier to track usages (unpaid licenses). Even more that my new stuff is only here.

Though, still expecting to see Alamy's feedback on the case.

It doesn't look as if the quick and simple "personal use" option is going to disappear any time soon, so hopefully Alamy will have success tracking down abusers.

Re competing with one's images on POD sites, my guess is that most people will continue to prefer POD sites for prints because they provide convenient one-stop shopping -- i.e. printing and framing.

Personal and presentation uses strike me as being a lot like the distributor plan in that they won't be big revenue earners, but they should have secondary benefits such as improved CTR, ranking, etc.

Now that Alamy's catalogue is in Google search images, I think you will see more and more people buying the digital image for wall prints.  I just did a simple check on a 24x36 canvas print.  If I order one of mine from Fine Art America, it is $227US plus shipping and then the taxes when it hits the border.

If I buy the digital image from Alamy, its $15US and then I can take it to Staples and it costs me $100CDN plus taxes to get it done.  And I still have the digital image if I want to use it for something else.

Big big savings.

Jill 

• Upvote 2

Now that Alamy's catalogue is in Google search images, I think you will see more and more people buying the digital image for wall prints.  I just did a simple check on a 24x36 canvas print.  If I order one of mine from Fine Art America, it is $227US plus shipping and then the taxes when it hits the border.

If I buy the digital image from Alamy, its $15US and then I can take it to Staples and it costs me $100CDN plus taxes to get it done.  And I still have the digital image if I want to use it for something else.

Big big savings.

Jill 

Yes, huge savings. I agree with just about everything that others have said regarding the pitfalls of a big agency like Alamy offering low-priced images for personal use.

Thing is, personal use ain't gonna go away, not with over 75 million images now sitting in the database. Best we can hope for is that Alamy will listen to some of our suggestions and do whatever they can to police usage

Edited by John Mitchell

I just wonder how many "normal souls" - people who are not in the professional photography / editing business - have ever heard of Alamy?  :rolleyes:

Just ask your friends - who are not specifically into photography - to name just ONE stock agency............ What? Surprised they can't name any? Then who buys all those "Personal Use" licenses? Now suddenly they seem to appear like earthworms surfacing after a summer's rain shower.  :blink: Isn't that strange?  :huh:

There's a Dutch saying: "De kat bij de melk zetten" (In English: "Don't put the cat with the milk") Wink, wink, nudge, nudge. Say no more!  ;)

Cheers,

Philippe

Most people that I know don't even know what a stock photo agency is. Even after I explain it to them, they look at me blankly.

And you're correct, Belgians are intelligent. After all, they invented the saxophone.

Edited by John Mitchell

I just wonder how many "normal souls" - people who are not in the professional photography / editing business - have ever heard of Alamy?  :rolleyes:

Just ask your friends - who are not specifically into photography - to name just ONE stock agency............ What? Surprised they can't name any? Then who buys all those "Personal Use" licenses? Now suddenly they seem to appear like earthworms surfacing after a summer's rain shower.  :blink: Isn't that strange?  :huh:

There's a Dutch saying: "De kat bij de melk zetten" (In English: "Don't put the cat with the milk") Wink, wink, nudge, nudge. Say no more!  ;)

Cheers,

Philippe

Most people that I know don't even know what a stock photo agency is. Even after I explain it to them, they look at me blankly.

And you're correct, Belgians are intelligent. After all, they invented the saxophone.

..... and don't forget the French fries we invented in 1680 -_-. All Belgians are still very angry at the evil garlic smelling French who ran off with the credit. It should be BELGIAN fries  :angry:

Cheers,

Philippe  ^_^

Mon Dieu! Non! Non! It should be "FREEDOM fries."

Cheers,

Philippe

And the duffel coat and bag!

Edited by Martin P Wilson

Big big savings.

Jill 

This cost/benefit factor now another thing to consider when deciding whether to submit if you have other channels open. I know in the past week I have not sent a number of images in because I dont want to shoot myself in the foot.

BTW it has been suggested that by opting out of the low paid schemes rank will be hit due to lower number of sales. With the details of the algorythms unknown (and possibly changing) this might not be the case. Fewer higher income sales may possibly be better than lots of low paid ones. Since I opted out my rank has gone up. Although admittedly that is just my particular case and there may be other factors in play, e.g, a dramatic reduction of the number of images. There is also the psychological effect. If every time you get one of these sales one goes around kicking the furniture, then its possibly a good idea for you and the furniture not to be opted in.

BTW part deux. There is an alamynopoly on "vlaams friet" :ph34r:   However before Alamy contributors start buying transatlantic flights to get a shot of chips and mayo, its probably worth mentioning that its not exactly been a life changing Alamynopoly.

I'm not sure that there is any workable strategy for avoiding personal use licenses, including not uploading certain images. Judging from posts on this thread, the types of images being chosen for personal use aren't ones that are typically associated with POD sites --  i.e.they aren't ones that immediately bring "prints, cards and gifts" to mind. It seems that anything from cans of coconut oil to walkers are fair game.

Personally, I rarely kick furniture for fear of stubbing my toe. B)

Edited by John Mitchell

Big big savings.

Jill 

This cost/benefit factor now another thing to consider when deciding whether to submit if you have other channels open. I know in the past week I have not sent a number of images in because I dont want to shoot myself in the foot.

BTW it has been suggested that by opting out of the low paid schemes rank will be hit due to lower number of sales. With the details of the algorythms unknown (and possibly changing) this might not be the case. Fewer higher income sales may possibly be better than lots of low paid ones. Since I opted out my rank has gone up. Although admittedly that is just my particular case and there may be other factors in play, e.g, a dramatic reduction of the number of images. There is also the psychological effect. If every time you get one of these sales one goes around kicking the furniture, then its possibly a good idea for you and the furniture not to be opted in.

BTW part deux. There is an alamynopoly on "vlaams friet" :ph34r:   However before Alamy contributors start buying transatlantic flights to get a shot of chips and mayo, its probably worth mentioning that its not exactly been a life changing Alamynopoly.

I'm not sure that there is any workable strategy for avoiding personal use licenses, including not uploading certain images. Judging from posts on this thread, the types of images being chosen for personal use aren't ones that are typically associated with POD sites --  i.e.they aren't ones that immediately bring "prints, cards and gifts" to mind. It seems that anything from cans of coconut oil to walkers are fair game.

I think that the only workable strategy for contributors at the moment is to not make the digital files available for any images that you are selling on a POD site.

Looking at my limited licences, and the cases where my images have been used elsewhere, the biggest problem for me appears to be leakage of images from legitimate usage - e.g. use in newspaper publications for a licence fee often less than the Personal Use fee.   

Big big savings.

Jill 

I think that the only workable strategy for contributors at the moment is to not make the digital files available for any images that you are selling on a POD site.

Looking at my limited licences, and the cases where my images have been used elsewhere, the biggest problem for me appears to be leakage of images from legitimate usage - e.g. use in newspaper publications for a licence fee often less than the Personal Use fee.   

That strategy wouldn't work for me. I have images that have sold (and continue to sell) quite well on both Alamy and a certain POD site.

Regarding leakage of images, I don't think that this is possible to stop in the digital world. The Web is a leaky boat by design.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Upvote 1

Big big savings.

Jill 

That strategy wouldn't work for me. I have images that have sold (and continue to sell) quite well on both Alamy and a certain POD site.

Regarding leakage of images, I don't think that this is possible to stop in the digital world. The Web is a leaky boat by design.

Agree with John, 

But would not dare to place this one on a POD site. However, for somebody it made a nice card or wall poster.  :blink:

(Good news: it was the first sale I ever had in the weekend)

building-paris-madrid-with-huge-advertis

Edited by Perry

I have 26 images with artistic things done to them that was on my POD site that I thought I'd try here.  Keywords were calendars, greeting cards, posters, etc.  I listed them as RF.  Because of the RF designation, I couldn't go in and restrict personal use.  I don't want these images sold for $14.99 when somebody decides to cheat and to make a batch of calendars, posters or whatever and sell them commercially, nor do I want to compete with myself on my POD site, considering I can get a lot more for them than $14.99 for wall art. These are images that I've put a lot of myself into and spent a lot of time doing the artistic work.  

I stripped all the keywords and put nonsense letters in the "have to" fields a couple of days ago, and today put them up for deletion.  A shame I feel forced into it.

• Upvote 8