"Personal Use" as option when buying an image

15 images for personal use, is someone wallpapering their room with them?

Sorry to say Callie, More likely selling as prints at the local street markets for a few dollars,  i am sure you have already thought along those lines.

Alamy we have problem!

yes, hardly personal use is it, if they are being re-sold

My best seller at a POD in Germany is also a best seller on A for newspaper use etc. If it starts getting sold here for personal use too, I will certainly remove it, the POD site brings in a much better return.

I too had a personal use sale drop in yesterday (yes Sunday) and it's this

elderly-senior-woman-wearing-a-purple-ba

"Personal use, Personal prints, cards and gifts. Non-commercial use only, not for resale."  REALLY???? or am I just totally lacking in imagination as to why any individual would want this as a print, card or gift?  Whatever it is being used for they got it for $14.99.

At least I can't say it is competing with my images on POD sites as I wouldn't think of uploading something like this.

Pearl

Of course, there's also the option to purchase images for presentations. Had one come in on Sunday for $14.99. Probably similar to "personal use". Maybe we should look into this one, too.

wouldnt this still be classed as commericial? as way i see it, even the photo above (walking frame) could still be used to advertise an event, where commerciality comes into it.

for example ive had a flyer through my door, advertising a "free" garden consolation by local residents assoc, where upon if you had went, there were all sorts of companies trying to upsell services almost immediately! perhaps a tenuous link, but still commercial involved, its not like it was printed once hung up in an office, or used for as the licence "personal" suggests

the photo was definitely a stock photo (cant say if it wasnt purchased or not), but the same image was on the BBC site a day or two earlier in an article, which made me recognize it and google brought it up as a stock image, on the bottom first page, so likely to have been nabbed from there!

and to me the personal use licence, just gives us more to chase re infringers. i cant see alamy policing this type of infringer, so it would be down to us personally to look for someone licencing for $14.99 and making excess printings. more work! lol

I wonder if uses in magazines, newsletters, brochures, flyers, etc. that are distributed for free and contain no advertising are considered to be "personal use" by some buyers.

wouldnt this still be classed as commericial? as way i see it, even the photo above (walking frame) could still be used to advertise an event, where commerciality comes into it.

for example ive had a flyer through my door, advertising a "free" garden consolation by local residents assoc, where upon if you had went, there were all sorts of companies trying to upsell services almost immediately! perhaps a tenuous link, but still commercial involved, its not like it was printed once hung up in an office, or used for as the licence "personal" suggests

the photo was definitely a stock photo (cant say if it wasnt purchased or not), but the same image was on the BBC site a day or two earlier in an article, which made me recognize it and google brought it up as a stock image, on the bottom first page, so likely to have been nabbed from there!

and to me the personal use licence, just gives us more to chase re infringers. i cant see alamy policing this type of infringer, so it would be down to us personally to look for someone licencing for $14.99 and making excess printings. more work! lol

I wonder if uses in magazines, newsletters, brochures, flyers, etc. that are distributed for free and contain no advertising are considered to be "personal use" by some buyers.

If the the newsletter (or whatever) contained no advertising or promotional material, then I think it would be editorial use, not commercial, certainly not personal use, though.

"Personal use, Personal prints, cards and gifts. Non-commercial use only, not for resale."  REALLY???? or am I just totally lacking in imagination as to why any individual would want this as a print, card or gift?  Whatever it is being used for they got it for $14.99.

At least I can't say it is competing with my images on POD sites as I wouldn't think of uploading something like this.

Pearl

I had a personal use (prints, cards, gifts) sale a couple of weeks ago of a person with compromised mobility. Perhaps it was the same client.

One of the main reasons we are seeing all these Personal use choices is that it is now the first option in the list of  "buy this image now" when you click through to the image spec page.

Jill

One of the main reasons we are seeing all these Personal use choices is that it is now the first option in the list of  "buy this image now" when you click through to the image spec page.

Jill

So it is. How long has this been the case?

Pearl

I wonder how many of thee "Personal Use" sales are to people who purchase without logging in (and on weekends.) If the client logs in as someone who normally licenses images for textbooks or magazines wouldn't that be a red flag for Alamy?

Pearl

I had a personal use (prints, cards, gifts) sale a couple of weeks ago of a person with compromised mobility. Perhaps it was the same client.

Maybe they're for some non-profit organization dealing with health issues?  If non-profit agencies want to buy images for their pamphlets etc,  perhaps the "Personal Use" option seems the most suitable choice for them from the options shown,  because they're not for a business, magazine, presentation, or website.   I'm just guessing of course.      

Pearl

Maybe they're for some non-profit organization dealing with health issues?  If non-profit agencies want to buy images for their pamphlets etc,  perhaps the "Personal Use" option seems the most suitable choice for them from the options shown,  because they're not for a business, magazine, presentation, or website.   I'm just guessing of course.      

That is definitely not personal use.

Pearl

That is definitely not personal use.

Yes, but there doesn't appear to be a "non-profit" use for RM images (not sure how this would apply to RF) in the price calculator, so it's a plausible theory. Some of the "personal use" images displayed/discussed in this thread look as if they could easily be used by non-profit agencies and the like. Perhaps Alamy could clarify this point.

Non-profits shouldn't be licensing images as Personal Use. Some of my best sales have been to Non-Profits. They often license images for brochures, magazines, tv and other media. The major difference is they're Tax Exempt.

Granted they sometimes have a small budget but there are plenty of Non-Profits with larger budgets than commercial clients.

The little question mark at the side of 'personal use' clearly says 'Personal prints cards and gifts' so non-profits should certainly not use that. It is interesting this is the default choice at the top of the list, very possible people just click through and don't read the info on the page. If that is the case, then the most expensive option should be the default, people might then start paying attention to what they are choosing.

I've only had two Personal Use licenses but I've also had 5 sales that included "multiple web use incl. personal screensaver use."

I'm not sure what this is but I hope it doesn't mean that anyone who happens across their site can download full screen images for free.

I've only had two Personal Use licenses but I've also had 5 sales that included "multiple web use incl. personal screensaver use."

I'm not sure what this is but I hope it doesn't mean that anyone who happens across their site can download full screen images for free.

Bing homepage allows this.

I've had quite a few of those "personal screen saver use" sales as well. At least they pay a bit more. One of the problems with having a "personal use" option blatantly displayed is that many people know so little about image licensing these days that when they see cheap "personal use" available,  they think they can buy the image and do whatever they want with it. I discovered this when I naively had a personal use option on my website. I removed it long ago. However, I did have different prices for different sizes, plus I didn't offer a "full-size" option. I also specified "non-editorial use" as well as non-commercial.

I've had quite a few of those "personal screen saver use" sales as well. At least they pay a bit more. One of the problems with having a "personal use" option blatantly displayed is that many people know so little about image licensing these days that when they see cheap "personal use" available,  they think they can buy the image and do whatever they want with it. I discovered this when I naively had a personal use option on my website. I removed it long ago. However, I did have different prices for different sizes, plus I didn't offer a "full-size" option. I also specified "non-editorial use" as well as non-commercial.

Yes I totally agree. When I've licensed images directly, I've occasionally offended individuals when I asked how they intended to use the image. Obviously they didn't understand how photographs are normally licensed.

I'm still licensing images for personal use via my PhotoShelter site but I have a notice about how the images can and can't be used that appears on the same screen when clients choose the use. My personal use is priced according to size, just like any other use. Even when I've provided image for editorial or commercial use, I rarely send a file that's larger than the client requested.

fD

Archived