"Personal Use" as option when buying an image

Very well but I'm sure most contributors are under the VAT threshold so don't need to register.

In Belgium, EVERYBODY who sells on a regular basis (doesn't include selling your old fridge on e-bay  ;) ) needs to be VAT registered. Which doesn't mean they have to charge VAT to their customers, but they need to have a VAT number.

Cheers,

Philippe

Of course I was referring to the UK. It hadn't occurred to me that any country could have a zero registration threshold, as no doubt it didn't occur to you that ours could be well over €100,000.

There are very few formalities to starting a business per se in the UK, possibly only one (to inform the tax authority), and that is quite a recent requirement. When I started trading all I was required to do was put my name and address on the wall as I used a trading name which was not my own, and that law was abolished the following year.

My tought of this is always when somebody really wants to cheat they will not even bother to download it and pay. They will always find a way to steal it and get it for free. There are many photos on flickr, 500px and co that can be downloaded or there is Google. Most private people dont even know that stock agencies exist. The ones that are left willing to pay for personal use would rather not rist to get in problems. Thats why they pay and also would pay more for commercial use. I would not worry to much. But i would also not mind to have a opt out option just for the onces that dont want to participate like Phillipe. Everybody will be happy like that.

But i am just little frog here.

Personal Use restriction on Alamy appears to be completely screwed up. I have a large number of news images ONLY available for editorial use yet two of them have sold in the past three days for Personal Use. This is completely unacceptable, I’ve been in touch with member services, still waiting for a response.

The personal use also shows Worldwide???

My tought of this is always when somebody really wants to cheat they will not even bother to download it and pay. They will always find a way to steal it and get it for free. There are many photos on flickr, 500px and co that can be downloaded or there is Google. Most private people dont even know that stock agencies exist. The ones that are left willing to pay for personal use would rather not rist to get in problems. Thats why they pay and also would pay more for commercial use. I would not worry to much. But i would also not mind to have a opt out option just for the onces that dont want to participate like Phillipe. Everybody will be happy like that.

But i am just little frog here.

True, ....... but those are low resolution files (72 dpi). We're talking about offering private people high resolution files (300 dpi).

Cheers,
Philippe

And about competeting with ourselves in PODs...

A simple opt in/out option for personal use -- similar to the old Novel Use scheme -- would solve the problem.

My biggest concern with my latest "personal use" sale is that it was heavily discounted with no reason given for the low price ($13.48). Is this common? Are there volume discounts for personal use, I wonder.

15 @ $13.48 each. 

I will have to wait for the details of the sale to show up later tonight. 

Thanks, looks as if the price has dropped or there is a volume buyer.

I'll let you know as soon as I know.

I just don't understand why the price is so low.  I've worked with a number of agencies and publications but personal use, usually prints, was always passed on to photographers for fulfillment. Most often, prints were purchased by someone who appeared in the photo. Sometimes I provide them at no charge in exchange for a model release. Either way, it's not the kind of situation where Alamy is likely to be competing with other agencies so why charge  a fraction of what the photographer would charge directly?

I'll also add that when I license an image for personal use it's based on size. Larger prints are priced considerably higher than low res images for social media. Why would an individual receive, what we presume, is a high resolution image for personal use?

fD

I'll also add that when I license an image for personal use it's based on size. Larger prints are priced considerably higher than low res images for social media. Why would an individual receive, what we presume, is a high resolution image for personal use?

fD

I've mentioned this to someone at Alamy in a personal conversation. Guess I should follow up. 

Just to rant a little further, I've participated in a number of mass cycling events where an independent company photographs everyone in the event. They offer participants photos that are 1500 pixels on the long side for $35. Why would Alamy offer higher res images for less?

Well, 16 actually. One dropped in later ....

Usage: Personal use, Personal prints, cards and gifts. Non-commercial use only, not for resale.
Media: Non-commercial, one time, personal/home use
Start: 21 March 2016
End: 21 March 2021

:angry:

Well, 16 actually. One dropped in later ....

Usage: Personal use, Personal prints, cards and gifts. Non-commercial use only, not for resale.

Start: 21 March 2016

End: 21 March 2021

:angry:

All for the same client? May I ask what kind of subject(s). Typical fine art subjects?

Just very curious  :huh:

Cheers,

Philippe

Maybe it's an interior designer for a client's private residence? 

Slightly different situation.  However, whether it's personal use or commercial use, the price is becoming depressingly low.

Usage: Commercial electronic, Use in slides/materials to support a presentation or talk - such as Powerpoint or Keynote.
Media: Commercial presentation, single design
Start: 22 March 2016
End: 22 March 2021

I will be paid $7.50 (£5.20) net.

Sung

Slightly different situation.  However, whether it's personal use or commercial use, the price is becoming depressingly low.

Usage: Commercial electronic, Use in slides/materials to support a presentation or talk - such as Powerpoint or Keynote.

Media: Commercial presentation, single design

Start: 22 March 2016

End: 22 March 2021

I will be paid $7.50 (£5.20) net.

Sung

The $14.99 "Presentation" price seems to be for any type of presentation. At least it's not as wide-ranging as personal use.

The prices are ridiculous, I've also had a couple,

one image for $20

Usage: Personal use
Start: 25 February 2016
End: 25 February 2021

Why such a long release and if it's only one time, how can that be policed, plus what size image are they receiving, if it's full size, they can do what they want with it? This is of a sportsman

and another of one image this time for a better price $60, but for 5 copies?

Usage: Indoor display
Media: Shop/restaurant decoration
Industry sector: General business services
Print run: up to 5
Image Size: up to full area
Start: 30 June 2015
End: 30 June 2016
Life of Display

Are Alamy printing these? Why would anyone print 5 of one item, sounds dodgy to me, especially as it is a band.

There should be an easier click button, to opt out of these "home" sales.

My take on this is that people are worried that buyers may exceed their licensed usage and do something else with the image.  Of course that's true, I've seen umpteen threads asking for advice regarding double usage (one live one running at the moment) and other infringements. This is much the same as the problem the music and film distributors face; once it's out there, it's out there! To my mind there are a couple of "protections" in selling on Alamy:

1. they only sell JPG files which only have an 8 bit colour depth, markedly different from the 12 bit colour depth I get from my camera. If you want the highest-quality print you cannot get it from the Alamy image.
  2. Alamy don't actually print it for them. If people want a personal print, going to a POD site or otherwise getting it printed is much easier and more reliable, the cost probably isn't greater than doing it yourself, if you're not experienced in printing.  I actually think that it's a bit of an odd bird that wants to buy an Alamy image to print for themselves. On the other hand, if they're making their own wallpaper or something then... well, good luck to them!

I do sell prints (infrequently but at good prices) but I tend to be a little selective as to which of those I also put on Alamy.  If someone's printing it for private use I really can't see that you can do much unless they inadvertently invite you for Sunday lunch and you spot it on their wall.

[rucksack off, sorry if I was rambling a bit]

I have to disagree with your printing analysis Mike, I use a well known Pro UK lab they print up to 60" x 40" and do this from their recommended 8 bit colour file, so their is no "protection". 

Life of Display

Are Alamy printing these? Why would anyone print 5 of one item, sounds dodgy to me, especially as it is a band.

A while back I had a $400 licence for this

Media: Internal poster/décor (1 use only)

Industry sector: Health, Medical and Pharmaceutical

for 3 years so that is a bit worrying (and cheap). Alamy isn't printing.

Life of Display

A while back I had a $400 licence for this

Media: Internal poster/décor (1 use only)

Industry sector: Health, Medical and Pharmaceutical

for 3 years so that is a bit worrying (and cheap). Alamy isn't printing.

It is ridiculous that's $12 each and if Alamy aren't printing, who will stop them printing as many as they want at any size, once they have a digital file, unless it self destructs!

The prices are ridiculous, I've also had a couple,

one image for $20

Usage: Personal use

Start: 25 February 2016

End: 25 February 2021

Why such a long release and if it's only one time, how can that be policed, plus what size image are they receiving, if it's full size, they can do what they want with it? This is of a sportsman

Life of Display

I had a distributor sale to Russia middle of last year for a print for a restaurant for over $500. 1 copy.

Archived