I participated in side by side tests of a Nikon LS 8000 scanner, Tango drum scanner, Imacon, Epson V800, and a Nikon 36 MP camera with macro lens on a copy stand.

There was a mix of 35mm, 6X7, 4X5, B&W, Kodachrome, Ektachrome, Fujichrome. It was a kind of challenge, beat this quality, amongst very experienced professional scanners and photographers. Operators knew they were being tested, and were given 3 tries to beat the best one of each round.

The Nikon 36 MP camera won by a long shot on all counts, and it was quicker. Scanner technology has been moribund for years. In addition a lot of scanner technology has been directed towards fast throughput and ease of operation. Not quality.

Here is a new hi rez camera solution worth investigating for 35mm to 4X5. Read the sales pitch if you want to know why a hi rez 35mm camera is better than a any scanner.

I have a Nikon LS 8000 scanner that I am about to stop using as a doorstop, and put in the garbage. I would not inflict it on anyone.

That's very interesting and helpful information, Bill. More so, because I consider you to be one of the best pro photographers contributing to this forum. 

I still have a Honeywell Reponar hiding somewhere in my scary back room, but I doubt that the flash is still alive and well, or that I could get a replacement bulb. I did a big job once in London that involved doing copy-stand work. Once you're setup it's easy to do.

Don't toss your LS 8000 in the garbage--recycle it. They'll make plastic cups and then we can recycle those. 

Edo

For digitising colour 35mm transparencies, I'm not sure it's worth doing anything more than the DSLR copy route. A decent DSLR and good lens has enough resolution to resolve the film grain. It's not worth going further. If you need to increase the dynamic range take a couple of different exposures and combine in PS. I've recently digitised over 1,000 35mm transparencies taken in late 90's and early 2000's on Kodachrome 64, Velvia and Sensia. I'm using a Lumix G5 and 45mm macro lens that I also use for regular stock photography (so no additional expense) . The resolving power of this setup easily captures the film grain and also (unfortunately) reveals all the weaknesses in the kit I was using at the time. (Contax RTS body and Tamron SP lenses). I could have spent lots more on the scanning/digitising but the end result would have been limited by the quality of my originals and the film grain. 

For very fine grain B/W film or larger format originals, the balance may shift back to a decent scanner. 

Edited by M.Chapman