Does anyone know of a suitable curve or preset for colour neg that could be used in LR? I made one for b/w that works quite well, but with colour you have the problem of the orange mask (which also varies between different film stocks).

Thanks,

Alex

Not sure if it is of help but suggest you do a direct transfer to positive image then use "Remove colour cast" tool.

Allan

I devised one which is a rather stronger version of the "strong contrast" curve setting. If you care to PM me I'm happy to send you the template. It's not scientifically derived, but it seems to suit a fair selection of films over 25 years.

The orange mask is supposed to be a problem, but after trying the various claimed fixes, I settled for just doing a white balance on a known white or grey. So I ignore the mask and the results look fine to me. It helps if you have some prints for reference. Skin tones can go off a bit.

That works well on some of my more difficult ones with crossed curves, such as night scenes or street lighting, but it's not much of an improvement on the simple curve for most and I still had to do a white balance.

I appreciate that it is a bit more scientific to treat the channels separately, though.

No harm having another tool in the box. You need to crop out any rebates or clear bits otherwise the histogram is artificially extended.

Archived