The storm on the other side of the door

My concern would be a large increase in volume of contributors without an equally large increase in volume of sales will end up with a reduced level of income per contributor as there will be more contributors battling over smaller pot of cash. 

Yup. Que sera, sera.

My concern would be a large increase in volume of contributors without an equally large increase in volume of sales will end up with a reduced level of income per contributor as there will be more contributors battling over smaller pot of cash. 

But of course, that is not a problem for Alamy (and other libraries). :(

But of course, that is not a problem for Alamy (and other libraries). :(

Very true...... it's ironic though that the action of bringing in many more contributors with a sales pitch of, "We are good to contributors" would result in a "poorer return" for those contributors if they are not able to lift volume of sales significantly. I can live without the "Niceness" if it means high volume of sales  :P

There are certain agencies out there that are not as good as Alamy, in terms of communication, commission % and some sale prices but, they do give me 2k+ (vol) sales a month. If they hit 3k(vol) I might even let them be a little rude at times, or even obnoxious if they reach 5k(vol) sales  :D . Yeah, it's all about the money & paying those bills  ;)

Edit..... stuck (vol) to make it clearer I was talking about number of sales rather than value. Average value per sale tends to be around the $1.2 - $1.5 net based on stills and footage.

Oh there are some agencies giving a LOT more then $.2K per month. This is something Alamy will have to live and deal with, especially when boosting 70 million images. In effect it means of course that the real great creative/commercial images are uploaded elsewhere and not here where they would be mixed up like in a jumble-sale with all sorts of weird editorial content.

Yeah life is a bitch isn't it. :)

Oh there are some agencies giving a LOT more then $.2K per month. This is something Alamy will have to live and deal with, especially when boosting 70 million images. In effect it means of course that the real great creative/commercial images are uploaded elsewhere and not here where they would be mixed up like in a jumble-sale with all sorts of weird editorial content.

I'm sorry if there is a language barrier, but otherwise, is anyone else getting a bit bored with having their images described as "weird" "has-beens" in a "jumble sale"?

I'll translate.

Christian meant to say that he is somewhat displeased with the search, the fact that there isn't a clearer distinction between "creative" and "editorial", which makes him holding back from uploading his best work.

He goes on to add that life is beautiful, he enjoys every minute of it and tells everyone to keep up the great work!

Sorry Christian, I was referring to the volume not the $'s  :) . The dollars would of course be greater than the 2k 

I'm sorry if there is a language barrier, but otherwise, is anyone else getting a bit bored with having their images described as "weird" "has-beens" in a "jumble sale"?

Martin! no barriers here, its plain English isn't it? you understood what I meant didn't you? :)

I'll translate.

Christian meant to say that he is somewhat displeased with the search, the fact that there isn't a clearer distinction between "creative" and "editorial", which makes him holding back from uploading his best work.

He goes on to add that life is beautiful, he enjoys every minute of it and tells everyone to keep up the great work!

Correctalmondo!  thats exactly what I mean! :D

So you are disparaging other people's images. Thanks for clarifying.

Please consider what you emit from your exalted position on those producers of jumble-sale weird hasbeens underneath.

Oh man!  ease down a bit, don't be so edgy and try and take a joke. I didn't say peoples images were jumble-sale, I said that Alamy MIX them as if it was a Jumble-sale. Big difference! and you must surely admit, they do?

Hmmm... we now seem to have a storm brewing on both sides of the door.

Terms like "weird," "real great," and "has been" are pretty subjective. What one person considers "weird editorial content" might be just what a particular buyer is looking for and hasn't been able to find at the other, edited agencies. The "jumble" is part Alamy's schtick, and they do it well. That said, there are definitely too many similars (and even "exacts") showing up in some search results, but that's mainly the fault of contributors who don't follow Alamy's rules about uploading excessive numbers of similars. 

You may have seen this presentation, because it's featured on Dpreview.

Pay attention at 6:30. When he shows a typical nice stock shot of a mountain.

He does not say: you cannot ask money for that.

However all the company he worked for does comes with a price tag, that far exceeds the value of most stock imagery.

He could have said: you cannot ask a lot for a bit of flower; sugar and butter. You should at least make a cookie from it.

wim

I had a $250 sale today. The search the buyer used brings up 20 images, 4 of them mine including one I took around 2006. That image was zoomed in September and as I was returning to Cape Cod in October (a search that brings up 13,300+ images) I decided I should update it and am glad I did since one of the new ones sold.

The point is, there are buyers looking for those hard to find places, slightly off the beaten track, and that is why Alamy offers their "jumble sale." It's not a slick commercial site - though there are some fine commercial images - I believe their crowd sourcing concept was to get all those odd little places so editorial buyers knew just where to look.

I had a $250 sale today. The search the buyer used brings up 20 images, 4 of them mine including one I took around 2006. That image was zoomed in September and as I was returning to Cape Cod in October (a search that brings up 13,300+ images) I decided I should update it and am glad I did since one of the new ones sold.

The point is, there are buyers looking for those hard to find places, slightly off the beaten track, and that is why Alamy offers their "jumble sale." It's not a slick commercial site - though there are some fine commercial images - I believe their crowd sourcing concept was to get all those odd little places so editorial buyers knew just where to look.

I believe you!  seriously though, I am not talking about peoples images, I am referring to the way Alamy mix creative with editorial in almost every category, makes me wonder why there are separate uploads?

However all the company he worked for does comes with a price tag, that far exceeds the value of most stock imagery.

He could have said: you cannot ask a lot for a bit of flower; sugar and butter. You should at least make a cookie from it.

wim

I'm not eating any cookies round your place, Wim! :D (flower; flour).  So sorry, - pathetic from the lousy at languages English - but couldn't resist! ;)

wim

I'm not eating any cookies round your place, Wim! :D (flower; flour).  So sorry, - pathetic from the lousy at languages English - but couldn't resist! ;)

It's the narrative not the truth!

You heard the man.

Oh no it's stories not the facts.

However I hang my head in shame.  I still care about silly things like the difference between flower and flour.  I'll never work for Facebook.

Thank you for showing me my place.

wim

edit: ;-)

wim

It's the narrative not the truth!

You heard the man.

Oh no it's stories not the facts.

However I hang my head in shame.  I still care about silly things like the difference between flower and flour.  I'll never work for Facebook.

Thank you for showing me my place.

wim

edit: ;-)

Always ready to listen to whatever you have to say, wim.  I would never dare to try put you in your place! :)

Archived