losdemas

Underwater photographer of the year 2016 winners

Some spectacular shots.  The website and results are here, but there is actually a better gallery on the Guardian Website.

EDIT: Crikey!  They've even created a free .pdf download of the UPY Yearbook.

Edited by losdemas
  • Upvote 1

Very impressive…

Knowing how difficult it is to get an 'acceptable' picture underwater, I am absolutely amazed !!

Edited by Olivier Parent

They are completely amazing, no question. But... don't they seem unnaturally sharp? I presume that's the preferred style for the competition.

Last summer, in Rangiroa (French Polynesia), I dived several times with a Japanese photographer who had one of these gigantic underwater housings with a massive dome, strobes and all sorts of lights that always remind me the film 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind', especially during sunset/night dives…

At the end of one dive, I asked if she would show me some of the pictures she just made.

Some of the pictures were absolutely fantastic.

Edited by Olivier Parent

Fantastic stuff!

Kumar

Good stuff. But maybe the competition should be titled 'Underwater photographer & Photoshop skills of the year' ?

Surprised Photoshopping to create composites was allowed.

Good stuff. But maybe the competition should be titled 'Underwater photographer & Photoshop skills of the year' ?

You sure they're not HDR? That's what I thought for some of them... Or PS combinations of multiple images but all taken in very quick succession, keeping the camera very still and PS combining them?

On the other hand, after the plane up the ladder, maybe PS is fine?

You sure they're not HDR? That's what I thought for some of them... Or PS combinations of multiple images but all taken in very quick succession, keeping the camera very still and PS combining them?

From the image description....

'The brown trout has been subsequently added to the scene in Photoshop so this is very much a composite image. The trout is actually shot at a completely different time and location.'

From the image description....

'The brown trout has been subsequently added to the scene in Photoshop so this is very much a composite image. The trout is actually shot at a completely different time and location.'

Got it... totally bizarre. Makes it all rather meaningless...