'Network Rail' the rail transport company

I received an email from Alamy 15 mins ago saying approx 20 images of mine depicting railway stations (interior) in London will be removed by the request from Network Railway, as they are violating their exclusive intellectual property rights.

First, London Underground sign, then, National Trust.  Today Network Rail, what next?

Email from Alamy Image Management this morning:

'Network Rail' the rail transport company, has been in touch with us requesting the removal of the below listed images of your's:

Alamy ref

DT2PX9
DT2R02

These have been taken within the train stations they manage.

They say you’re selling these without authorisation and this is violating their exclusive intellectual property rights - http://www.networkrail.co.uk/aspx/777.aspx?cd=1.

We’ve deleted these images to avoid further legal issues but if you feel you have the correct permissions to sell these images then please send us proof of this and we’ll reinstate the images.

Thanks
Image Management

The relevant part of the link is:

"You can take photographs at stations provided you do not sell them."

Images were of St Pancras station; they featured the Betjeman statue.

There are thousands of images of stations on Alamy. What of those I wonder?

8 to be removed!

If that becomes widespread all those pictures in stations, airports, on trains, buses, planes even ships and ferries could be at risk of removal. As well as a whole raft of images taken inside buildings, shopping centres/malls even parks or on bridges are at risk with the increasing privatisation of public space.

I am glad to be moving away from generic stock!

Yep, me too. One of them is of an electricity danger sign which seems petty in the extreme. Still it gives some jobsworth something to do and makes Network Rail feel important. Another harmless avenue closed.

Not sold in 4 years so no great loss. (So am I in fact 'selling them' if they're not, er selling?)

Oh dear. Cue another cull of images taken

1) from Network Rail property (not the street)

2) which can be identified from their keywords.

The search was done on the name of the station.

Me too. 7 of mine removed.

Interestingly, I came across this on the Network Rail / National Rail website:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/55286.aspx 

I won't be contributing.

One of the terms for submission to Network Rail is:-

If you submit your contribution to National Rail Enquiries you must allow us to use the material on a free-of-charge basis on this website or via our social channels.

They want free images!!!!! :angry:

The Network Rail operated stations are:

Birmingham New Street Cannon Street   Bristol Temple Meads Charing Cross   Edinburgh Waverley   Euston   Glasgow Central   King's Cross   Leeds   London Bridge   Liverpool Lime Street Liverpool Street   Manchester Piccadilly Paddington   Reading St Pancras International     Victoria     Waterloo

So presumably this particular cull only affects photos taken at those stations.

The Network Rail operated stations are:

National stations London stations Birmingham New Street Cannon Street   Bristol Temple Meads Charing Cross   Edinburgh Waverley   Euston   Glasgow Central   King's Cross   Leeds   London Bridge   Liverpool Lime Street Liverpool Street   Manchester Piccadilly Paddington   Reading St Pancras International     Victoria     Waterloo

So presumably this particular cull only affects photos taken at those stations.

think so - the train companies run the other stations - so maybe they will be next to seek removal 

the network rail restrictions on photography on their website are under a main heading of Railway Enthusiasts

as I'm not that enthusiastic about network rail i didn't think it applied to me.!!

their website also states - "You can take photographs at stations provided you do not sell them" - 

AND I HAVENT SOLD ANYWAY !!

From 1st September 2014 Network Rail became a public sector company, answerable to Parliament. I think I might write a letter to my MP about unreasonable restrictions on trade and Network Rail's attempt to create a monopoly in photography IPR at stations that they control.

From 1st September 2014 Network Rail became a public sector company, answerable to Parliament. I think I might write a letter to my MP about unreasonable restrictions on trade and Network Rail's attempt to create a monopoly in photography IPR at stations that they control.

and copy in the Transport Minister and CEO of Network Rail

Does anybody know under what byelaws Network Rail are doing this? (Similar question to that relating to the National Trust). It can't be a contractual restriction (like say when you buy a ticket for a sporting event or concert) because some of my photos were taken from a position where I didn't need to have bought a ticket.

Would be a very good idea, but... the government is planning to sell NR back to the private sector as soon as it can so any victory would be short-lived anyway :(

Alan

Archived