How much do you help others when asked a photography question?

It is gratifying to me to read these posts.

Those of us who respond kindly to those wandering around in the dark woods not only further our craft, but in a way, live on.

I always remember those who helped me. I couldn't begin to count the times I have credited the kind folks at Nikonians. And it turns out Philippe was one of those. His expertise lives on through me, although I'll never touch his ability.

I do agree that folks need to try to find answers for themselves. For instance, those contacts from FAA inquiring about Alamy, I do point them toward reading everything Alamy offers about stock on their site.

Then I point out that sometimes even the tiniest bit of CA or other faults will bring a QC fail. The things I've been on the wrong end of. I just give a few insights, those I know from experience.

Since many have given me help, it would be a bit selfish for me to not give in return. 

I find the biggest surprise in my dog and horse businesses. I will have my competitors at a show come up and ask me where they can buy the materials I use. I always think that is rather cheeky, but I tell them anyways. Since I buy a lot of my dog collar materials from my brother-in-law (who give me large distributor pricing), they really aren't going to hurt me too much.

Jill

I try to help out-of-towners find their way to the Subway down here in Lower Manhattan. Does that count? I do it in four languages: English, Italian, pointing, and grunting. 

You're a gentleman Sir, and you may  have helped me as I am normally well lost on the subway system. Kindly New Yorkers appear able to recognise my discomfort and generally come to my aid with useful advice.  :rolleyes:

I see you had a trip to the States recently, Bryan -- I hope it was fruitful and enjoyable and that most people were helpful and friendly.  :)

I've been most helpful to others in this forum by not giving much tech advice, which would be mostly half-baked. And I don't do critiques; that's the devil's path. 

Oh, alright then. A lot of questions on the forum here are about things that will actually help Alamy be more efficient / relevant. So it's in everyone's interest to help. 

I also think helping individuals with problems helps improve the standard of stock here, so that's a good thing.

I stop short at suggesting subjects or saying what sells well for me. I did that once, about something very few people had pictures of, and guess what, the next month...

No critiques for me, either. With the exception of a new contributor who is sorely lacking in their keywords. Little nudges in the right direction. Not that I am an expert on keywords....but I do know when a scientific name is needed.

I'm grateful for the help I've received from others and happy to pay it forward. 

It works the other way too - years ago I lived in Manhattan and often helped out-of-towners with directions and advice. Recently I was downtown and not sure where to find a certain subway stop and was happy for a hipster who pointed me in the right direction.   :)

Personally I feel that it is a privilege to be able to help others and will always go out of my way to try, not just on this Forum, but in life.

I find that looking at an issue from someone else perspective gives me a better understanding of that issue.

The only suckers in life are those who fail to understand that progress is achieved by positive cooperation with others.

dov

Hi folks:

Nice topic.

I had a query from a young photographer yesterday about how much she should charge for an image she has taken of a singer on a vinyl album cover and half a dozen press release shots.  It is being used on an artist's first album by a UK Indie record label.  I tried the Alamy calculator but couldn't be as specific as I wanted.  Anyone with an idea or two would be welcome. I'd like to help her out.

With thanks,

Kathy

Don't know how much, but she could stagger the price - eg. for first 20,000 albums sold, then go higher etc.  

Thanks for your reply Vpics but I think I will post this on it's own topic as it may be a bit off and isn't eliciting much interest.

Kathy

When I was pretty new at photography, but starting to turn out some nice work, in a forum not connected to Alamy, I was impressed by a certain photographer's knowledge.

I asked this person a specific question for a specific kind of photo. Probably like "what do you think would be the best aperture setting for X subject?"

I was slapped down so hard for asking on that forum that I felt crushed. I realize I shouldn't bruise so easily, but as Popeye always said, "I yam what I yam." (I am what I am)

It took me a very long time to ever ask a question again. Every time I thought to, the humiliation I felt back then washed over me.

I lurked on the Alamy forum for a long time back when flaming was the norm for a few people. When this forum was reinvented, I finally got the guts to ask questions again. It's been great.

Betty there are no stupid questions.

What happened to you is cyberbullying. It can destroy a forum. All members of a forum, novice or advanced, should feel free to ask questions or pass on their opinions.

I click on positive ratings for great topics and great posts.

I ignore the rest.

I have clicked on a very, very, few negative ratings. But only when I felt that the post was engaging in cyberbullying to the point that it would shut down discussion.

Betty there are no stupid questions.

What happened to you is cyberbullying. It can destroy a forum. All members of a forum, novice or advanced, should feel free to ask questions or pass on their opinions.

I click on positive ratings for great topics and great posts.

I ignore the rest.

I have clicked on a very, very, few negative ratings. But only when I felt that the post was engaging in cyberbullying to the point that it would shut down discussion.

What's sad is that when someone singles you out to ask a question, most of the time it means the person respects your work, respects you, and can't think of anyone more worthy to ask.

I always feel somewhat flattered when I am singled out. It usually means someone has taken a peek at my work and likes it.

Archived