Access to places is one thing, getting the stuff sold is another. Today is a different world. You can have a portfolio like Pete-Turner, Maisel, LaChapelle, Webber, Demarchelier, etc. etc from some of the worlds highest paid photographers.

Their portfolios like everybody elses just gets buried alive by some 300 million other images on the "celebrated" Internet.

Mark Getty once said to me and a few other photographers who had gathered. This will last for about 20 years plus a little, thats the time-span we are looking at. then the entire universe will be swamped with pictures.

The day the biggest agencies and outlets wake up and realize that quality goes before quantity. Thats the day of a new era. Until then its just a matter of simply producing quantity, regardless of quality. For the moment we are extremely lucky!! since most buyers don't expect quality for rock-bottom prices.

Access will get you the pictures, sure! the question is what to do with the pictures.

+1

Monty Rakusen gets access top all kinds of places, mainly industrial. I believe he offers a special deal to firms that will allow him to sell images as stock. All images come with releases including PRs. All, or most, of his images are RF and sold through Image Source. That means they are all on sale here and many other places.

That's a lot of access + releases + subject matter in high demand + massive distribution + a lot of hard work. He earns good of money, enough to employ assistants.

That works. But so does Brian's collection of unique still-life food images, because of the style and lighting and subject matter, and also where he sells the best of them: the access is neither here nor there, it's the ideas that matter, and how you market your work.

Gee, I started out with 9 green tickets, and now I have a red one. Hmm. Wonder who could have given me that?  :rolleyes:

I rained on the coward's parade, hope you don't mind :-)

Once again, here we have a great discussion, differiing points of view (or at least, different nuances of the same thing, imo), and this forum's setup allows some merchant banker to come along and, in the absence of any acknowledgement of their action, without contributing one iota to the actual discussion, slap Edo with an anonymous red arrow.

in the grand scheme of things, it means naught. But it sure does lower the tone of the discussion  . . .

EDIT: . . . and for some (perhaps this is indeed the goal of the red-arrow tossers) it also discourages discussion and (again, only for some) the expression of anything other than the banal, the safe, the mainstream. Don't let the bastards get you down, Edo :-)

dd

Gee, I started out with 9 green tickets, and now I have a red one. Hmm. Wonder who could have given me that?  :rolleyes:

Going by DD's reply "Forum terrorists". :blink:

Allan

Going by DD's reply "Forum terrorists". :blink:

Allan

???

dd

Ed, apparently it's easily done by accident on a tablet, but those who do that usually own up.

Using my iPad, I gave out 2 accidental red down arrows in past week. So, for awhile, I'll remember to enter them with more surgeon- like precision :)

Archived