Shutterstock/Stockimo

Just read an interview with the CEO of Shutterstock...

"Shutterstock was founded in 2003 and has paid more than $US350m to contributors over the past 12 years."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/technology/q--a-with-shutterstock-ceo-how-stock-photos-are-made/news-story/a6beb3c50a51c87b29316c9906e71236

That gave me the idea to do a Google search, just on the News tab, with a filter for one year.

Shutterstock = 17,200,000 results

Alamy = 66,500 results

Maybe selling Stockimo photographs on Shutterstock will result in lower prices, but higher volumes will make it worthwhile.

Just read an interview with the CEO of Shutterstock...

"Shutterstock was founded in 2003 and has paid more than $US350m to contributors over the past 12 years."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/technology/q--a-with-shutterstock-ceo-how-stock-photos-are-made/news-story/a6beb3c50a51c87b29316c9906e71236

That gave me the idea to do a Google search, just on the News tab, with a filter for one year.

Shutterstock = 17,200,000 results

Alamy = 66,500 results

Maybe selling Stockimo photographs on Shutterstock will result in lower prices, but higher volumes will make it worthwhile.

In general if you talk about pay outs from Shutterstock it is a monster. Keep in mind that the pay outs where every year growing. Only in 2014 Shutterstock paid to contributors 84 million. In 2013 it was 62 million. Expected in 2015 is over 100 million. So there is no doubt that it is worth to distribute there.

Mirco

The problem with shutterstock is that they are heading for 1 million new images a week.  The amount they pay out increases but when its divided by all the new content, contributors are generally seeing a decrease in earnings.  I thought Stockimo would be a niche site but if that content is going to be put on other sites, I'm not so keen.  I doubt anyone will make much getting 50% of shutterstock earnings when there's so many new images on the site for buyers to wade through.

I wonder how many other sites Stockimo will use?  I really like alamy because they seem to communicate well with us and there aren't many nasty surprises.  I hoped Stockimo would be the same and its a shame if they are going to be more like a microstock site that I don't really trust.

This year's payout is going to be around nine times the payout here for fewer images – Alamy has remained static for the past six years. Clearly they are doing something right, as are their contributors. With editorial only imagery now growing at an exponential rate (real editorial including a lot of journalism), it might be an idea to try and figure out what it is. It can’t be because they are cheap – there are plenty of cheaper sites, and Alamy knows how to do cheap when it suits.

Youre darned right Bob! SS, is not just about  being cheap, well cheap subs that is. The ODs, credit-sales and single-sales are still good pricing.  Their secret is advertising, promotion, constantly happy members who spread the word and of course and the most important, the search-engine, algorithm which is first and foremost geared towards high-commercial value and specialized images, thereby saving the buyer to have to wade through tons of irrelevant material.

I got 0,65$ sale on Stockimo, probably Shutterstock.

Seems a bit fast for ShutterStock since they seem to still be adding Stockimo photos and Stockimo only reports after they've receive the funds - unless Stockimo has been on ShutterStock for longer than we believed. Either way, I guess this explains why the Stockimo minimum payment is only $10.

Shutterstock funds are paid as soon the balance reaches 75 dollars. Also sales on Shutterstock happens as good as directly. If Stockimo submitted the photos two weeks ago the earnings could be allready high and could be very realistic that Stockimo allready received money. Clients on Shutterstock pay before the purchase.

Mirco

I would expect that agency to agency contractual arrangements for supplying images would be quite different to that between an agency and individual contributors, so it would be pure speculation to assume the same process / terms apply (or even that the 65c licence is the ought shutterstock). However, assuming it is, that's precisely my concern - one of my images now on Shutterstock has previously netted me $19 - why would someone licence it through alamy / Stockimo now if they can get it for a fraction of the same amount through Shutterstock? This is why I haven't put the same images on microstock myself.

Shutterstock funds are paid as soon the balance reaches 75 dollars. Also sales on Shutterstock happens as good as directly. If Stockimo submitted the photos two weeks ago the earnings could be allready high and could be very realistic that Stockimo allready received money. Clients on Shutterstock pay before the purchase.

Mirco

A little out of date on the minimum payout - it changed this year.

Ones I looked at so far simply say ©Stockimo with no photographer's credit.

How is that legal?

8.2 of the Stockimo Contract

Alamy cannot guarantee a photo credit in any instance, and will not be held liable if a photo credit is not made; nor can Alamy guarantee if a photo credit is made that it will show your Pseudonym or, where applicable, your Agency Contributor name.

Ones I looked at so far simply say ©Stockimo with no photographer's credit.

How is that legal?

8.2 of the Stockimo Contract

Alamy cannot guarantee a photo credit in any instance, and will not be held liable if a photo credit is not made; nor can Alamy guarantee if a photo credit is made that it will show your Pseudonym or, where applicable, your Agency Contributor name.

None of that gives 'Stockimo' the right to claim copyright. Alamy should have sorted that out with SS while thrashing out this 'deal'.

These seem to be two separate issues - whether Stockimo and any clients would simply fail to include the photographer's copyright notice or if Stockimo is, indeed, claiming copyright. Under US Copyright law, lack of the photographer's copyright notice is permitted but obviously it becomes more difficult for the photographer to claim an infringement. Ideally, photographers should probably consult with an attorney but considering some of the fees mentioned above, it hardly seems worth it.

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ03.pdf

Well, the number of Stockimo images on Shutterstock is continuing to grow - it is now up to 4741.  It would be nice to know if the whole collection is going to be distributed through Shutterstock.  

In the meantime, those that also have images on EyeEm's marketplace - which also tends to have mainly mobile images - will have recently received an email the other day saying that their collection (previously exclusive with the big G) will now be non-exclusive and will soon also be distributed through Alamy as a second distribution partner. There are more than 850,000 EyeEm images on G, presumably a large proportion of these will shortly appear on Alamy as well?  In contrast, there are about 237,000 Stockimo images.

Not really sure what to make of all this really.  I guess time will tell.

Youre darned right Bob! SS, is not just about  being cheap, well cheap subs that is. The ODs, credit-sales and single-sales are still good pricing.  Their secret is advertising, promotion, constantly happy members who spread the word and of course and the most important, the search-engine, algorithm which is first and foremost geared towards high-commercial value and specialized images, thereby saving the buyer to have to wade through tons of irrelevant material.

Sample of posts from one page on the SS forum (posts from December 2015) - to me it reads as subs $0,25-0,38 is what you should expect to get, occasionally an "EL or SOD" that can be up to $106, but that is declining?

1) "you can make more with ELs or SODs sales, but the vast majority of sales are via subs"

2) "when your new it's 25 cents to $106.00 but those large sales have dried up Pretty much. when your old Like me and the others. we get 38 Cents and every Now and then a Extended License or footage sale. Not like it used to be."

3) "As to how long timers survive  well by not relying on microstock for income and doing other work."

4) "But it has become harder over the last couple of years. Sales here for many of us have dropped by half in many cases. So, as it has already been said most of us now depend on other sources of income for our work."

Archived