Shutterstock/Stockimo

I see no point in alamy selling our images on other sites, so we only get 50% of what they make when we can get 100% by uploading ourselves.  If they are going to do this, we need an opt out because I would much rather upload direct and not lose half my money.  I have no problem if other people want to lose 50% of their potential earnings but there must be a choice.  Hopefully they are checking to see that these images aren't already on the other site but a list of 3rd party sites and a tick box for opting out is the best way to do this.

No harm meant but Stephen!  with such a generalist portfolio as you have. Does it really matter? I mean, I doubt very much you are earning a total fortune here or anywhere else.

just saying.

Very tempted to use the wretched red arrow but will simply say that I don't like seeing a criticism such as this. Not helpful. Not sure why you said "no harm meant". Seems to me harm is done.

Paulette

It would explain some of the totally ridiculous sales in my stockimo app for only $1,61. But has anybody emailed Alamy MS, and just asked what the deal here is?

Update: After a quick scan I found over 10 of my Stockimo images there, but none of those have a perfect 4 score on Stockimo, and none of those have sold so far...

Will send MS a message and ask what is going on!

Regards,

Arthur

I'm really surprised (and disappointed) at this one. I have had some good sales with Stockimo, up to $90+ net to me, but if the collection is just going to be distributed for peanuts through Shutterstock (with no photographer credit either), then little incentive to upload through Stockimo.

I would think there is a bigger issue here - is Alamy on a path towards ditching their mid / macro stock positioning, and becoming another microstock agency? Certainly some of the IQ pricing is already getting pretty close

At 25¢ to $28 per download I can't imagine why anyone might think this is a good thing.

I did a quick search and didn't find any of my Stockimo images. 

$28 is only the net max for Enhanced. DLs can be as high, IME, as $84 net.

Max for Single On Demand downloads is up to $120net.... it just depends on what banding you're on. 

Hi Duncan!  I know I had four single-sales this month!

I see no point in alamy selling our images on other sites, so we only get 50% of what they make when we can get 100% by uploading ourselves.  If they are going to do this, we need an opt out because I would much rather upload direct and not lose half my money.  I have no problem if other people want to lose 50% of their potential earnings but there must be a choice.  Hopefully they are checking to see that these images aren't already on the other site but a list of 3rd party sites and a tick box for opting out is the best way to do this.

No harm meant but Stephen!  with such a generalist portfolio as you have. Does it really matter? I mean, I doubt very much you are earning a total fortune here or anywhere else.

just saying.

Lol, you don't change do you?  Can't say I am enthused by your portfolio either but I suppose you make a fortune from it and still have nothing better to do than insult others in forums.  No harm meant :)  That's the last time I will reply to you here, don't want to mess this forum up like you did with MSG.

Stephen!  come on mate! you been in this game long enough to understand exactly what I mean. You know that there is a vast difference between a specialized portfolio and what we call a generalist portfolio. I didn't say a generalist portfolio is bad, in fact some of the best portfolios on the internet is of general content but they do not rank as top commercial and in general don't require MRs and PRs, etc, etc.

I mean its pretty silly to act as if youre hurt when you know exactly what I mean, isnt it. Now if some people here want to cheer you on, getting you at it over nothing, well so be it.

Aargh - I always have this problem trying to post replies to quotes - it just disappears - a Safari thing maybe?  Anyhow, this is what I thought I had posted in response to Lisa's comment about the number of images increasing...

It does seem like more images are being added.  Like you, I have only spotted a handful of mine (and none of them "4"s), but perhaps more are being progressively added? Feeling quite disappointed in Alamy's lack of communication on this.  I know that images are distributed to third party agencies, but typically in far flung places where supplying directly is not so easy.  It seems to be such a strategically significant move to place images with a microstock giant like Shutterstock, especially in light of many people's views on supplying microstock, that I would have thought it warrants some sort of communication.  Of course, although I have a small number of mobile images on Shutterstock, the vast majority of mine and others currently on the site would have no hope of passing their one-dimensional review policies.   Unfortunately, I feel quite glum about this and can't help but think the strategy is "throwing in the towel".  The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if this is just a precursor to a larger merging of Alamy and Shutterstock, whether formally merging or distributing great chunks of the collection.

It may be just an experiment. And like I said IYCBT...

Any idea how long the images have been there?

I have no experience with SS; isn't it possible to see what has sold there? If so has any of this collection sold yet?

Is there a counterpart on Alamy? I mean a collection of SS images other than individuals who have the same images there and here?

wim

Aargh - I always have this problem trying to post replies to quotes - it just disappears - a Safari thing maybe?  Anyhow, this is what I thought I had posted in response to Lisa's comment about the number of images increasing...

It does seem like more images are being added.  Like you, I have only spotted a handful of mine (and none of them "4"s), but perhaps more are being progressively added? Feeling quite disappointed in Alamy's lack of communication on this.  I know that images are distributed to third party agencies, but typically in far flung places where supplying directly is not so easy.  It seems to be such a strategically significant move to place images with a microstock giant like Shutterstock, especially in light of many people's views on supplying microstock, that I would have thought it warrants some sort of communication.  Of course, although I have a small number of mobile images on Shutterstock, the vast majority of mine and others currently on the site would have no hope of passing their one-dimensional review policies.   Unfortunately, I feel quite glum about this and can't help but think the strategy is "throwing in the towel".  The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if this is just a precursor to a larger merging of Alamy and Shutterstock, whether formally merging or distributing great chunks of the collection.

Kerin I couldn't agree with you more.  If my images are going to be sold as microstock then I want to sell them myself, not pay Alamy 50% - or would it count as a distributor sale which would be even worse?  I have a few images on SS so am already set up to sell there if I want to but only a small percentage of my portfolio is RF and the rest wouldn't really be suitable.

Pearl

If my images are going to be sold as microstock then I want to sell them myself, not pay Alamy 50% - or would it count as a distributor sale which would be even worse?  I have a few images on SS so am already set up to sell there if I want to but only a small percentage of my portfolio is RF and the rest wouldn't really be suitable.

Pearl

Yes!!

Nearly the worst idea ever heard of. And they are treating licences and releases in a very different way.

From 3,750 to 3,932 now. But keep in mind, at least these aren't any with perfect scores or any best sellers, at least that was true for me when I looked through the 3,750, not sure that still holds true at 3,932. I'm going to wait and see what kind of prices and volumes we are talking about, for my pretty good, but not great IPhone photos. I am not in the same situation as many of you since I would never have joined ShutterStock on my own. This can only mean more sales for me, but for $1 or $10 or $100? I'm in wait and see mode.

Send MS an email yesterday, and another one just now... no response to yesterdays mail... I´m not aware of today being some kind of (bank)holiday in the UK, is it?

arthur

In the past it seems Alamy Member Services has been reluctant to respond to Stockimo questions and usually direct photographers to ask support@stockimo.com. I don't remember Stockimo ever responding on the Alamy Forums either.

I did receive several messages this afternoon from an Alamy Account Manager, on other matters, so yes, they're definitely working today.

Unfortunately, there's nothing in the Stockimo User Agreement preventing them from licensing images via  ShutterStock  and there's no way for contributors to opt out of distributions,

1. from http://www.stockimo.com/terms.html
    1. You grant Alamy permission to sell your Images at any price and by any method we feel appropriate without Alamy having to consult you. Alamy has sole responsibility and authority to negotiate all terms of commissions, licenses and reproduction rights in the Images including the fee, duration, and scope of any license. You authorize Alamy to carry out or to agree to any cropping, manipulation, combining, and creation of derivative images.
    2. Alamy shall have the right to supply Images to third parties for any purpose as solely decided by Alamy, including without limitation trials with new customers and prototypes/proof of concept. Where Alamy does not make a charge to these third-parties, you will not receive payment.
  2. Credits, Copyright Notices, and Promotion
    1. Customers of Alamy using Images for editorial uses will be asked to credit your Stockimo Username/Alamy.
    2. Alamy cannot guarantee a photo credit in any instance, and will not be held liable if a photo credit is not made; nor can Alamy guarantee if a photo credit is made that it will show your Pseudonym or, where applicable, your Agency Contributor name.
    3. Alamy shall have the right, including in advertising and publicity in any media, to use your Username to advertise and promote the Stockimo App and/or Stockimo Services and/or the Alamy brand.

The number of images is certainly climbing and is over 4100 now. For my part, it is an odd mix - a range of my images rated 2.3 - 3.7, a full set of one shoot but only isolated ones from others, not recent images but neither are they the oldest. Suggests to me that a much larger number of images is on its way to Shutterstock.

Its quite true that the agreement allows it, but I do believe that irrespective of legal terms, there is a relationship issue here, at least with Stockimo contributors who are also regular Alamy contributors. It just seems like such a major shift in business model / strategy to distribute through Shutterstock. If Alamy has found that it is too hard to licence iphone photos at regular prices, then why not just introduce something like 'second tier' pricing themselves?

And is Stockimo just the thin end of the wedge? Will we see regular Alamy RF images being hived off to Shutterstock?

Like Lisa, I will wait and see, frankly, Stockimo sales have been thinning out the last few months so I was rethinking my iphone strategy a bit anyway. However, in the past, I have been hesitant to upload iphone imges to micros that I already have on Stockimo for fear of competing with myself. I have also given usually given Stockimo first dibs at accepting images. All that may change.

Its quite true that the agreement allows it, but I do believe that irrespective of legal terms, there is a relationship issue here, at least with Stockimo contributors who are also regular Alamy contributors. It just seems like such a major shift in business model / strategy to distribute through Shutterstock. If Alamy has found that it is too hard to licence iphone photos at regular prices, then why not just introduce something like 'second tier' pricing themselves?

I fully agree. I think that many of us who are also Alamy Contributors joined Stockimo based on a level of trust, and this microstock scheme seriously erodes that  trust. Personally, If I wanted to license my images for pennies I could've joined one of the microstock agencies directly. Not only would I receive a full credit, but the full contributor's share as well. Granted the number of Stockimo images I have online doesn't even constitute a drop in the bucket but, I've already begun to delete any Stockimo images that bear any resemblance to my DSLR images with Alamy. It was one thing when Stockimo license rates were similar to Alamy's but at this point, I'm not going to compete with myself for a fraction of the pennies ShutterStock lists on their rate page.

fD

Looks like they are including best sellers over on ShutterStock...

Posted 22 August 2015 

Marilyn Volan ‏@marilynvolan  
Happy to have sold another @Stockimo #iphoneography image on @Alamy #photography today! 

Image ID : S07CH9

surreal-abstract-design-with-a-mannequin

and bear in mind that it is standard practice at Shutterstock to 'supersize' small images.  So, for example, some Stockimo iPhone images have been 'supersized' up to 4896 x 6528px.  I would imagine that the quality is pretty dismal, but still.

Archived