This is further complicated by the fact that I shoot everything in raw, and as you will be aware, raw images look pretty poor. Then it's whether or not to put in the effort in PS to breathe some life into a dead horse ??

As you may know I switched to RAW this year and was concerned about the extra work.. So I was pleased to find that LR spruces up raws nicely. I just let it do Auto Tone with a preset of my own on import. Not many need anything else.

This is further complicated by the fact that I shoot everything in raw, and as you will be aware, raw images look pretty poor. Then it's whether or not to put in the effort in PS to breathe some life into a dead horse ??

As you may know I switched to RAW this year and was concerned about the extra work.. So I was pleased to find that LR spruces up raws nicely. I just let it do Auto Tone with a preset of my own on import. Not many need anything else.

Bryan - I'd really recommend LR. It's very quick for the type of shooting I do. I find that checking for sensor spots takes me more time than the RAW processing.

The key is to use presets to speed up your workflow and give you a base point to then make quick individual adjustments for each image.

I'd happy to help you set a preset up. Alternatively there was a lot of good discussion in the thread where Mark made the decision to go with RAW processing. 

Mark - Glad to hear it's working for you.

Bryan - I'd really recommend LR. It's very quick for the type of shooting I do. I find that checking for sensor spots takes me more time than the RAW processing.

The key is to use presets to speed up your workflow and give you a base point to then make quick individual adjustments for each image.

I'd happy to help you set a preset up. Alternatively there was a lot of good discussion in the thread where Mark made the decision to go with RAW processing. 

Mark - Glad to hear it's working for you.

I don't know how to set up a preset. :)

Thanks for the tips. I do use LR, it's a part of my normal workflow, but much  prefer playing with images in PS - where my collections of actions are stored. 

LR is great for quick adjustments to exposure/shadow/highlight, colour temp, and killing CA etc, but I don't see a proper replacement for PS's accurate selection tools and adjustment layers.

Mind you, my copy is a few generations behind the current edition.

LR is great for quick adjustments to exposure/shadow/highlight, colour temp, and killing CA etc, but I don't see a proper replacement for PS's accurate selection tools and adjustment layers.

That's what I use it for. It's streets ahead for bulk processing. I hardly touch PS now.

LR4 is fine. I only went from 3 to get the CA button. You may recall I had some bother with it, it's now in one of my presets.

Thanks for the tips. I do use LR, it's a part of my normal workflow, but much  prefer playing with images in PS - where my collections of actions are stored. 

Agree. I'd be dead in the water without layers. I use them exclusively for my textures and wall art. Also where I add my Nik filters, and since the image arrives back in PS in layers, I can adjust the effect, brush it off some areas and such.

That said, I love LR's Upright feature which fixes all those leaning, crooked buildings, fences, etc so much better than attempting it in PS. All in a split second in LR, compared to minutes fiddling in PS and never being satisfied with the result.

• 2 weeks later...

My target this year was to increase portfolio by a 1000 and re keyword images, I infact increased by 1700 ish, revenue is up $400 on last year so happy with that . I randomly pick a page on portfolio and re look at captions and keywords . Target this year is another 1000 I am having a few health issues so may struggle with getting images but can always look at keywording when health prevents me getting out with camera. I keyword my self but may look into keywording software does anyone use this type of software????????????

My goal for 20116 is to reach 1,000 pictures... a long way to go

20116 is a very long way to go!!

Happy New Year to all!

John

By then there will be no life on Earth.

Allan

Happy New Year to all.

My goal for 20116 is to reach 1,000 pictures... a long way to go

20116 is a very long way to go!!

Happy New Year to all!

John

By then there will be no life on Earth.

Allan

Happy New Year to all.

Or there will be 65 x 10^24 Alamy contributors.

Archived