Payment for my direct claim popped into my bank account on Dec 12th. That was a paper form rather than on-line. A little over £700 which was down by £30 from last year which was less reduction than the last couple of years. It's probably an above average pay-out, but I have been supplying publishers directly for more than a few years. No TV though.

Unfortunately, we may all be getting rather less next year for two reasons. Firstly, a bunch of publishers have been busy trying to opt out of contributing to the pot. Secondly, a newly formed collecting society PICSELL is making a move to nab the revenue before DACs gets anywhere near much of the pot. How this is going to play out, we shall have to wait a bit, but it may get messy and I doubt that photographers will come away with smiles.

I fear the party may be coming to an end.

I may be over-thinking this but there might be another factor to consider.  I had an email from DACS saying "please note that only UK publications are acceptable, not worldwide."  Fair enough - I've not got any complaints and I asked the question.
However, I seem to have had a greater proportion of Worldwide sales this year over UK sales and they won't be DACSable next year.  Anyone else finding this?

Steve

You shouldn't worry too much about where your sales were this past year, some would have added to your overall total which is what matters to DACs. I was already selling here and there but in 1972 I had about 150 photographs published in a book published in the UK. Since then there have been three or four more publications with similar numbers and a steady drip drip of book and magazine sales. That is what bumps up the DACs pay-out figures, rather than how the last year or two have panned out. TV sales would add nicely if I had any, but they ARE based on the past year  

But, as I said above, all this may be about to change. I fear the best we can hope for is one more nice year with DACs. I would love to be proved wrong!

I got a bit of a shock today when I got my DACS statement.  Although my DACS payment went up to 261 pounds this year, they withheld 52.20 for tax.  Arrgh!

I sent in a declaration of residency form last year and a letter from Canada revenue that I live here.  So no tax was withheld last year.  Do I really have to do that every year?  I wish they would have mentioned that.

I got a bit of a shock today when I got my DACS statement.  Although my DACS payment went up to 261 pounds this year, they withheld 52.20 for tax.  Arrgh!

I sent in a declaration of residency form last year and a letter from Canada revenue that I live here.  So no tax was withheld last year.  Do I really have to do that every year?  I wish they would have mentioned that.

That's odd. I didn't send DACS any proof of residency at all last year, and they didn't withhold taxes. Perhaps their policy for Canadians has changed. Haven't received my statement yet. Shall report back when I do.

ooogh! witholding taxes. different countries have different rules and many companies apply them inconsistently. There was a time when I must have annually juggled claims and counter-claims with at least half a dozen countries. I still have a modest portfolio in Toronto and 15% of dividends are withheld. There have been a few times when I sold reproduction rights directly to Canadian Publishers and the notion of tax never came up. But these days, US publishers and agencies will almost always withheld 30% . PLEASE do not tell me it is easy to obtain that elusive TIN!

It is years since I have filed a Canadian tax return but If I were John or Reimar I would look to have any UK tax deductions credited against Canadian income tax liability. There is a treaty between Canada & UK which is supposed to prevent double taxation. Good luck with that!

I expect DACs would supply a tax certificate if necessary. They may even supply it without being asked; usually around Aprii time as the UK tax year runs from April 5th rather than the calendar year used by most of the rest of the world. Don't ask Why!

.... the UK tax year runs from April 5th rather than the calendar year used by most of the rest of the world. Don't ask Why!

From the 12th century to 1752, the civil or legal year in England began on 25 March (Lady Day).  When the Gregorian calendar was introduced in 1752 the calendar was 11 days off the rest of Europe and so we 'lost' those days when the calendar was corrected. In order to ensure against losing revenue it was decided by the Treasury that the tax year which started on 25th March 1752 would be of the usual length (365 days) and therefore it would end on 4th April, the following tax year beginning on 5th April.  A further correction occurred in 1800 which was not a leap year in the new Gregorian calendar but would have been in the old Julian system. Thus the treasury moved the start of the UK tax year from the 5th to the 6th of April and it has remained there ever since.

Wonderful stuff Vincent!

It's a bit like movable Easter dates; it all makes perfect sense when I see the explanation but , of course, it's not sensible at all and my mind rejects it almost immediately. A significant Christian celebration governed by a pretty pagan moon cycle.

I've lost touch with my pal The Druid who built several tables for me, but he seemed grounded by comparison.

I will offer your excellent explanation to my accountant who likes a bonkers chat over a dram or tthree.

I got the HM Revenue & Customs certificate of deduction of income tax along with my DACS statement.  Everything is dated December 4.

For more than 50 pounds I should probably get it framed.  I suppose I'll now need to figure out how to claim this amount for deduction on my Canadian income tax to avoid double taxation, if that's even possible.  A first for me - I'd rather have the money.

I was all set to send in the US proof of residency last year - started working on the forms then found out it costs $85 to file it! And it has to be done every single year. I correctly assumed that the tax would be less than the cost to prevent them from withholding it so this year I didn't bother trying.  Eventually when my payout is large enough I'll file it. 

My DACS payment also appeared via alamy.   I only had one license that qualified last year so I let alamy take care of it for me.  

Curious, If one applies directly to DACS, is payment always in pounds, regardless of your country?

DACS payment through Alamy went in for me to.

so is it clear money payable in January !

Ah, answering my own question but I see its just moved into cleared funds so with the other cleared pile its happy Christmas all round ????

DACS from Alamy showed up in my account as well. One thing very strange, there are two identical DACS entries of credit listed under my "balance of account" page. Now my "Cleared balance" includes BOTH credits. I wonder if Alamy made a mistake, one of the two should be their cut, therefore listed under "Debit".

Archived