So taken in the round then - on average nothing appears to have changed!

I'm not sure you can say that actually because if you think about it most folk have added images and even though sales are up only a few are reporting revenue up. In the main it seems to be a struggle to break even.

So, is it fair to say that, in general, those of us who have been with Alamy a long time are doing worse or just treading water, while more recent contributors are seeing increases in their income?

It seems that way!

I guess it makes sense in a nonsensical sort of way. Most new contributors shall probably find that their income will continue to grow for a few years and then plateau, yo-yo, or start to fall. That seems to be a common pattern. No doubt this phenomenon has something to do with Bell curves, standard deviation, chi-squares and other esoteric statistical stuff. I'm starting to think that it might be time to just sit back and relax under a palm tree with a piña colada or two and photograph sunsets. B)

So, is it fair to say that, in general, those of us who have been with Alamy a long time are doing worse or just treading water, while more recent contributors are seeing increases in their income?

It seems that way!

I guess it makes sense in a nonsensical sort of way. Most new contributors shall probably find that their income will continue to grow for a few years and then plateau, yo-yo, or start to fall. That seems to be a common pattern. No doubt this phenomenon has something to do with Bell curves, standard deviation, chi-squares and other esoteric statistical stuff. I'm starting to think that it might be time to just sit back and relax under a palm tree with a piña colada or two and photograph sunsets. B)

It's more to do with growth curves than anything else.  Start off slow, accelerate as you add more images, slow down as the number of images you add per year becomes an ever smaller percentage of the total and your older or less desirable shots are lost in the general noise.  Someone starting out - like myself - has the advantage of hitting the base of the growth curve.  So the figures can look impressive.  For the moment. The trick is going to be to sustain it.  And that, as the comments demonstrate, is not as easy as it sounds.

It seems that way!

It's more to do with growth curves than anything else.  Start off slow, accelerate as you add more images, slow down as the number of images you add per year becomes an ever smaller percentage of the total and your older or less desirable shots are lost in the general noise.  Someone starting out - like myself - has the advantage of hitting the base of the growth curve.  So the figures can look impressive.  For the moment. The trick is going to be to sustain it.  And that, as the comments demonstrate, is not as easy as it sounds.

Right on. You've said it better than I could have.

P.S. Although in my case, many of my older images remain much more desirable -- i.e. sell much better -- than my newer ones. So there you go. It's complicated, as they say.

Trick is to throw more lines in the water. The more lines, the more fish you catch. And by more lines, I don't mean just more images, but more completely different subjects.

I started with nature, expanded my archive by doing travel and even added more than 1000 images about World War One in which I have great interest.

Cheers,

Philippe

Yes, more lines in the water seems the logical way to go. I've been experimenting with that during the past year. Limited success so far, though. There seem to a lot of other fisher-persons out there, but one shouldn't let that get in the way (note to myself).

Compared to 2014:- Sales up 50%. Income static.

Distributor sales are the reason in both cases as I've noticed (like others) the increase in distributor sales over the last few months.

I'm not complaining although it would be nice to see said distributors upping the ante. Fingers crossed.

Archived