Approved Cameras

Doesn't the Sigma DP2 Merrill have an APS-C sensor? If so, it shou

Folk have reported images from Sigma DP2 Merrill passing QC from as long ago as 2014 . . . usually with qualification that the camera should NOT be used for any lowish light situation.

dd

Perhaps 46 MP ( I believe) crammed onto an APS-C sensor might be part of the problem.

Update: It appears that this camera's 46 MP sensor actually produces 15 MP images (?). Reviewers sound impressed with the IQ.

Off the top of my head, maybe the three colours?

You are correct. Each site on the sensor has three filters for red, blue and green wavelengths. It is called the "Fovon" sensor.

As we all know the Bayer sensor use individual sites for the differing wavelengths.

Allan

Thanks. I obviously need to bone up on sensors. Interesting that a relatively expensive camera with an APS-C sensor would not be acceptable. So much for the reviews, I guess.

The Sigma DP2 Merrill used correctly at it's base ISO 100 (Raw) can produce incredibly sharp detailed vibrant images that will have no problem passing if examined by QC. Ok, it takes forever to write a picture to card, and the Sigma Raw processing software is even slower, but the results are well worth the wait. Low light isn't a problem if you use a tripod, sure if you do something silly and go over ISO 200 with this camera, then things start to fall apart quality wise.  The images below were taken with a DP2M:

autumn-leaves-gather-over-double-yellow-

decaying-beech-tree-trunk-defying-gravit

leaf-shadows-on-green-black-painted-wood

What really amazes me, being an engineer, is how the tree in E9R7DF above is still standing without support under its centre of gravity.

Allan

What really amazes me, being an engineer, is how the tree in E9R7DF above is still standing without support under its centre of gravity.

Allan

Ah... but without seeing the rest of the tree we don't know where the centre of gravity is. :)

Allan

Ah... but without seeing the rest of the tree we don't know where the centre of gravity is. :)

True.  But it certainly looks odd.

Allan

As I see it - why take the chance of ending up on suspend for a month.  I've seen the results of some cameras at 100% that match the image size criteria. 

At first glance they looked ok but a more intense inspection showed flaws that would stand a good chance of rejection. 

do we get suspended ? For which reasons?

NO . . . no no no . . . we do NOT get suspended for a QC fail.

All that happens is that you are not informed for around 30 days . . . but there is no suspension of your ability to upload during that time. in other words, you are NOT suspended. And, once you are notified of a fail, you are able to submit immediately . . . well, you've been able to upload up until that point too, but you see what I mean :)

Now, some advise voluntarily not uploading if you have not heard from QC for a few days . . . some, like myself, ignore not hearing from QC for a few days and voluntarily upload regardless . . .

. . . but you are NOT suspended by any reasonable definition of the word :)

And one final "but" . . . but, if you continue to upload unsuitable content, Alamy do warn you that you run the risk of being blocked for submissions . . . now THAT is a suspension, and to date I've never seen anyone in the forum report that happening to them.

dd

Allan

Allan

Well here's another view of that Beech Tree, and it was still alive the last time I looked last Autumn.  I hope it survived all those winter storms we've been having.

I'm no engineer either, but I guess it is forming an arch bridge on it's side, rather like a bow.

Strictly true, but if you have failed, anything you do upload whilst waiting will be failed automatically.

So if you have 3 or 4 sets queued up and the first fails then the subsequent ones also fail automatically ... but you don't know for 30 days ... and any others you upload in the 30 days also auto fail? If so, it looks a lot like a suspension of upload ability. Obviously not a suspension of sales.

Strictly true, but if you have failed, anything you do upload whilst waiting will be failed automatically.

So if you have 3 or 4 sets queued up and the first fails then the subsequent ones also fail automatically ... but you don't know for 30 days ... and any others you upload in the 30 days also auto fail? If so, it looks a lot like a suspension of upload ability. Obviously not a suspension of sales.

Come on . . . for the sake of newbies, no, it is not a suspension of upload ability!!! BUT . . . IF . . . and even if you've waited for a week or more (as reported here many, many, many times) you can't be absolutely certain you've had a fail . . . IF you upload while waiting and your do in fact end up with a fail, all images you have uploaded in the meantime, that are waiting for QC, are also failed . . . so you just upload them again . . .

. . . but you are never prevented from uploading as you please, when you please . . . in other words, in the interests of clarity for those new to Alamy, there is NOT a suspension of upload ability.

I have had submissions waiting for well over a week on a handful of occasions . . . I kept uploading during that time. I really can't see the point of having images ready to upload but not uploading them just in case I've had a fail. Others have reported doing the same under the same circumstances . . . as far as having the ability to upload anytime, all the time, QED as they say.

dd

Allan

Allan

Well here's another view of that Beech Tree, and it was still alive the last time I looked last Autumn.  I hope it survived all those winter storms we've been having.

I'm no engineer either, but I guess it is forming an arch bridge on it's side, rather like a bow.

Thanks for the second view of your amazing tree. I can see what happened now.

The first view is intriguing just the same. :)

Allan

Come on . . . for the sake of newbies, no, it is not a suspension of upload ability!!! BUT . . . IF . . . and even if you've waited for a week or more (as reported here many, many, many times) you can't be absolutely certain you've had a fail . . . IF you upload while waiting and your do in fact end up with a fail, all images you have uploaded in the meantime, that are waiting for QC, are also failed . . . so you just upload them again . . .

. . . but you are never prevented from uploading as you please, when you please . . . in other words, in the interests of clarity for those new to Alamy, there is NOT a suspension of upload ability.

I have had submissions waiting for well over a week on a handful of occasions . . . I kept uploading during that time. I really can't see the point of having images ready to upload but not uploading them just in case I've had a fail. Others have reported doing the same under the same circumstances . . . as far as having the ability to upload anytime, all the time, QED as they say.

dd

I have not had a fail for some time now, touch wood, but if I do have a fail I will work on further images to prepare for uploading but will not do that until the "30 days" are up. I do not see the point in uploading while waiting for the fail notice to come through then have to load them all up for a second time.

Allan

PP Sorry this thread is morphing into something else now.

Allan

I'm not an engineer, but my guess is that the tree would have fallen over if Parm had taken this shot at ISO 400. 

One more question about failing QC. You upload, don't hear anything, don't get a pass, but you keep uploading. There is a failed image in that first upload so the 10 or however many batches you upload after also fail.

Instead of waiting and have ONE failed batch, you have eleven.

Instead of an occasional red line, you have a huge bock in red.

The question: Won't that affect your QC history? Your QC history affects how quickly your images are QCd. Doesn't it?

Seems like a no brainer to wait.

One more question about failing QC. You upload, don't hear anything, don't get a pass, but you keep uploading. There is a failed image in that first upload so the 10 or however many batches you upload after also fail.

The question: Won't that affect your QC history? Your QC history affects how quickly your images are QCd. Doesn't it?

I think you dont need to worry about it. It is just a myth. Check out this Alamy blog post:

http://www.alamy.com...-alamyrank-dont

Mirco

I think you dont need to worry about it. It is just a myth. Check out this Alamy blog post:

Mirco

Betty asked if your QC history affects QC time. That post explicitly says that it does.

However I think multiple fails at the same time only count as one. I'm not sure it matters as it does seem that once the 30-day penalty kicks in, it's permanent. I haven't managed to get back to a wait of a few days, even after getting my pass rate back up to 95%. It's a month every time now.

Mirco

Betty asked if your QC history affects QC time. That post explicitly says that it does.

However I think multiple fails at the same time only count as one. I'm not sure it matters as it does seem that once the 30-day penalty kicks in, it's permanent. I haven't managed to get back to a wait of a few days, even after getting my pass rate back up to 95%. It's a month every time now.

Sorry you are right, Still in the sunday mood. :(. I have no idea how i came to search placement. :huh:

MIrco

Hello all ... I just registered to alamy (based on what I thought to be good recommendations). I am an armature photographer and also use SHUTTERSTOCK, Fotolia, and iSTOCK - none of which have an 'approved camera' requirement.

I've sold about 50 photos between those three sites since I started this past summer. My acceptance rate is about 30 to 40%.

I was also wondering about the file size ... a minimum of 17 mg - isn't that quite large? Most of my shots are in the 6 to 10 range with a rare file pushing 20 or larger. My images sell in sizes offered up to and many times larger than 3K x 5K px.

I shoot a CANON 70D with either a CANON 70-200 / 2.8 IS USM or the kit standard CANON 18-55 / 3.5-5.6 IS II (CANON Speedlight if I decide to use it).

Any hints to help get more photos approved on alamy??

Hello all ... I just registered to alamy (based on what I thought to be good recommendations). I am an armature photographer and also use SHUTTERSTOCK, Fotolia, and iSTOCK - none of which have an 'approved camera' requirement.

I've sold about 50 photos between those three sites since I started this past summer. My acceptance rate is about 30 to 40%.

I was also wondering about the file size ... a minimum of 17 mg - isn't that quite large? Most of my shots are in the 6 to 10 range with a rare file pushing 20 or larger. My images sell in sizes offered up to and many times larger than 3K x 5K px.

I shoot a CANON 70D with either a CANON 70-200 / 2.8 IS USM or the kit standard CANON 18-55 / 3.5-5.6 IS II (CANON Speedlight if I decide to use it).

Any hints to help get more photos approved on alamy??

Your files are fine for size. The 17mb refers to the equivalent size for an 8bit when open. The jpeg from that will naturally be a lot smaller since it's compressed.

I would suggest reading the contrib section - especially the FAQs of which this is by far the most FAQed

http://www.alamy.com/contributor/faqs/most-frequently-asked-questions/

HTH.

Thanks for the info. I think I panicked when I saw the number and didn't read or absorb to what the number was referring!

I went back and reread and did find out answer to one question. If one image fails QC than all do. The reason makes sense, although the other sites to which I post do view all submissions (or at least that is the claim - sometimes I wonder if a person actually views or if it's a computer). Anyway, like other comments I have read, the wording about an accepted camera as part of the criteria, with no further explanation to be a bit concerning.

Now that this seems to be cleared up I will to resubmit, again. The frustrating thing is that one of my "rejected" photos was accepted by three other websites - is Alamy that much different?

Thanks for the info. I think I panicked when I saw the number and didn't read or absorb to what the number was referring!

I went back and reread and did find out answer to one question. If one image fails QC than all do. The reason makes sense, although the other sites to which I post do view all submissions (or at least that is the claim - sometimes I wonder if a person actually views or if it's a computer). Anyway, like other comments I have read, the wording about an accepted camera as part of the criteria, with no further explanation to be a bit concerning.

Now that this seems to be cleared up I will to resubmit, again. The frustrating thing is that one of my "rejected" photos was accepted by three other websites - is Alamy that much different?

Do the other sites have the same technical demands as Alamy?

Allan

Unlike the other sites, Alamy does not edit for content. Your images can be anything, but they must be technically perfect. They also don't look at every images selected, but will pull a few from every submission.  If you do have too many fails, they will start looking at every image and you will be waiting longer to pass QC.

Jill

Well, if anyone still has any doubts about the Sigma DP2 Merrill, I ran a comparison test against my Fuji X-T10. The Sigma has a fixed 30mm f2.8 and I fitted a Nikkor 28mm F2.8 AIS lens to the fuji. I do have the Fujiinon 18-55 zoom which is great compared to other kit zooms but would be at a massive disadvantage against the Sigma's fixed lens. Both Cameras were shot RAW at F5.6 and iso200 (well, the Fuji's base iso is 200, so the sigma was set the same though it's base iso is 100) and both mounted on a dual camera bar on a tripod.

Well here are the results, RAWs saved as JPEGs with no processing & no sharpening (Full image follwed by 100% crops):

DP2M0922-2_zpsyklaxm4f.jpg

Fuji X-T10  (100% crop)

DSCF4474-100c_zpsjpekybyb.jpg

Sigma DP2 Merrill  (100% crop)

DP2M0922-100c_zpstlathqyi.jpg

I Think it is clear that the DP2M captures far greater detail and colour than the Fuji X-T10....infact it capture far more detail than my 24mp nikon D7100.

However the Sigma's battery life sucks!

You get about 24 to 36 shots before you have to load a fresh battery, it's kind of like having a film camera again. :lol:

• 3 months later...

Hopefully someone can help me understand.  I received the photo error that my camera wasn't suitable, using a Nikon P7800 (12 Mega Pixels).  

Am I missing something that would cause the pictures from this camera to not be suitable?

I think Alamy need to specify "professional quality camera" or something like it, somewhere on sign up.  I know its subjective but there seems to be more folks trying to upload with cameras that aren't up to scratch.  A few words could save hassle on contribs & Alamys side.

Hopefully someone can help me understand.  I received the photo error that my camera wasn't suitable, using a Nikon P7800 (12 Mega Pixels).  

Am I missing something that would cause the pictures from this camera to not be suitable?

It has a tiny sensor, so probably not up to professional quality and clarity. The sensor is far smaller than a cropped sensor DSLR.

Best way to know if it's suitable is to view an image taken in good light and sharp focus at 100%, and see for yourself if it looks good or not.

Geoff.

The problem with this approach is that someone who is looking to join the stock photo bandwagon and has only ever had a diminutive point-and-shoot is not likely to really know whether their image looks good or not. I certainly didn't when I started out and, ten years on, I sometimes wonder if I yet do.

The only option for the inexperienced newcomer is to submit test images and await joy or disappointment from the initial QC asessment. Even if the answer is 'accepted' and 'joy, there may be further disappointment down the line when they discover their camera struggles in anything but ideal lighting conditions.

Some measure of wasted effort and disappointment might be avoided if, given there is no approved camera list, some guidance was given on what minimum specifications might be found on a camera which will do the job. 

Archived