Correcting others' mistakes

Phil Robinson

Would it be wrong of me to post an image I've found with a wrong caption?

John.

I think it would. OMD of course. Others might differ?

dd

I thought it would be wrong!

What does OMD mean? Others Might differ?

John.

Yep . . . others may disagree.

I do prefer "Orange Marmalade Doughnuts", but it's just so hard working that into a conversation . . . in fact, this is the first time I've ever managed it :)

dd

John.

dd

John.

I do prefer "Orange Marmalade Doughnuts", but it's just so hard working that into a conversation . . . in fact, this is the first time I've ever managed it :)

dd

Well done - have a greenie!

John.

John.

dd

John.

dd

Prior to this the ONLY use of OMD I'd seen was Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark

Prior to this the ONLY use of OMD I'd seen was Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark

??? . . . what about the ubiquitous "Oh My Dog!" ?

dd

• 4 weeks later...

Ech, I really miss the button to alert wrong keywords and spamming...

I won't upload the image here but try imagine closeup of Echinacea flowers heads view from above in horizontal orientation, only flowers in frame, nothing more... and here we go with the keywords I've found (copied from other's work I believe):

bright, brilliant, card, colorful, colourful, cone, cone flower, echinacea, echinacea purpurea magnus, editorial, flower, flowers, herbal, illustration, large, medicine, pink, postcard, poster, purpurea, useful for advertising, vertical floral calendar, vibrant

I'd appreciate if the author could help to understand why this image should be editorial or why is it illustration? I don't want to think how much it:

- destroyes CTR for the author.

- frustrate clients...

Ech, I really miss the button to alert wrong keywords and spamming...

I won't upload the image here but try imagine closeup of Echinacea flowers heads view from above in horizontal orientation, only flowers in frame, nothing more... and here we go with the keywords I've found (copied from other's work I believe):

bright, brilliant, card, colorful, colourful, cone, cone flower, echinacea, echinacea purpurea magnus, editorial, flower, flowers, herbal, illustration, large, medicine, pink, postcard, poster, purpurea, useful for advertising, vertical floral calendar, vibrant

I'd appreciate if the author could help to understand why this image should be editorial or why is it illustration? I don't want to think how much it:

- destroyes CTR for the author.

- frustrate clients...

I have often entered into discussion with forum members about accuracy of captions etc . . . but . . . for random images from unknown competitors, Arletta's post highlights to me the absolute futility of actually spending time reporting only mistake-riddled captions. Indeed, Brian Yarvin's experience (earlier in thread) is that Alamy's caption accuracy is highly regarded.

In my experience, EDIT: opinion, the significant issues that will impact negatively on Alamy's reputation are poor/irrelevant images coming up in searches, and scamming, or at least highly innacurate/innapropriate, keywording (which in turn leads to the previous point).

A "mistaken caption" button ignores the far more important issues, IMO, and, again IMO, is just a feel-good distraction from meatier matters ( and no, I am NOT advocating a "innacurate keywords" or "poor image" alert buttons either of course, although I could be tempted towards alerting Alamy to extreme keyword spamming :) )

dd

sometimes it may not be spamming, but inexperience combined with a lack of interest, which keywords bring up which pictures when reviewing ones own views. 

I realised one of my pictures of a bicycle showing up in the search for "car headlights".

Yes I had these keywords, because the bicycle was illuminated by car headlights without them being in the picture.

At the time I keyworded I did not realise that this may cause the picture to show up in an unrelated search.

I removed the keywords "car headlights" and continue to review the search terms that my pictures showed up for, since.

Hope this allows me to become more experienced in keywording over time.   

Archived