STOCKIMO - How to get more photos accepted (not rejected)

Lisa

For those of you who plan on ordering the new IPhone 6S on September 12th, keep in mind that only the 6S Plus has optical image stabilization. I was going to upgrade from a 5S to a 6S, but now I'm going for the 6S Plus for the optical image stabilization.

6S/6S Plus camera features from Apple.com:

12-megapixel iSight camera with 1.22µ pixels

Live Photos
Autofocus with Focus Pixels
Optical image stabilization (iPhone 6s Plus only)
True Tone flash
Panorama (up to 63 megapixels)
Auto HDR for photos
Exposure control
Burst mode
Timer mode
ƒ/2.2 aperture
Five-element lens
Hybrid IR filter
Backside illumination sensor
Sapphire crystal lens cover
Auto image stabilization
Improved local tone mapping
Improved noise reduction
Face detection
Photo geotagging

I was planning to upgrade my iPhone ages ago, glad I waited - the 6S Plus sounds great.

Great videos. Binge-watched the first 7. Just one question. You said you can go back and add keywords later.  I thought once I uploaded I was done and when you said that I just tapped on the image and found I could edit - excellent tip not to waste time with too many keywords especially when my connection gives out and I have to start from scratch as well as wasting time if it's rejected. 

Yes indeed, you can always add more keywords to a Stockimo photo once it is accepted. You can do this on the Home tab, not on the Activity tab. So glad to hear you are watching my Youtube videos! My next one I am working on now is how to submit to the news.

For those who still can't decide IPhone 6S or 6S Plus (from imore.com):

Both the iPhone 6s and the iPhone 6s Plus have the same 12 megapixel iSight camera. The iPhone 6s Plus, however, has optical image stabilization (OIS) for both photos and video. With OIS, the lens is essentially isolated from the body so that if your hand shakes the lens does not. That means it can stay open longer and drink in more light without introducing blurring and other distortions. Photos that were previously too dark will be noticeably brighter and better. If you're not a camera enthusiast and don't need low-light photography, you'll be thrilled with the iPhone 6s. If you're a photographer and really want OIS, you'll really want the iPhone 6s Plus.

Even before your videos, out of my first 7 images accepted 3 were shadow/silhouettes and 2 are food. I'm really having fun with this. Hope I get some sales soon - that will be when the fun really starts. 

Tried uploading some "picture of the day" type stuff directly with the camera on Stockimo which is how the News folks helped me out when the app didn't work for me. The immediacy of the iPhone is a great asset when you're shooting breaking news. Look forward to your video! 

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure what to photograph? These are currently the trending Stockimo customer search words. You might also want to add these keywords/tags to your existing Stockimo portfolio where they are applicable. If you have a large portfolio on Stockimo with little or no sales, maybe it's time to revisit your tags so buyers can find your photos. I'm often amazed that photos I report as sales only have two keywords?! Are you in the UK? Make sure you add UK as a tag to all of your UK photos. Likewise, add both US and USA if that's where the photos were taken.

airplane

balloons
 beach
 beauty
 birthday
 celebrate
 christmas
 cocktail
 concert
 couple
 delicate
 father
 friends
 friendship
 fun
 garden
 guitar
 love 
 mother
 pastel
 school
 serenity
 sparkle
 surf
 sweet
 vacation
 women

When my brother suggested upgrading to the iPhone 6S+, I decided it's better to risk regretting the extra weight than regret having a smaller screen and lack of optical image stabilization.

Stockimo app makes it super easy to submit iPhone news photos, but here's a question about adding metadata and FTP'ing photo elsewhere:

----> I have Photogene to add metadata to iPhone photos, and then FTP them. If you use an app you feel is superior, I'd appreciate hearing all about it.

Ann

I use an App I got for free called Metapho to read but not write metadata. I honestly don't always remember if a photo was taken with my iPhone or Sony RX100 sometimes. I have to use Metapho to confirm it was taken with my iPhone before I submit to Stockimo.

Just noticed my Coachella selfie made the first page of the US collection. I used a selfie stick to take that photo.

Indio, California USA 9th April, 2015 Selfie shows I'm ready for the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival which begins tomorrow. Shirt by H&M Loves Coachella collection.

indio-california-usa-9th-april-2015-self

http://www.alamy.com/category/us.html

When my brother suggested upgrading to the iPhone 6S+, I decided it's better to risk regretting the extra weight than regret having a smaller screen and lack of optical image stabilization.

Stockimo app makes it super easy to submit iPhone news photos, but here's a question about adding metadata and FTP'ing photo elsewhere:

----> I have Photogene to add metadata to iPhone photos, and then FTP them. If you use an app you feel is superior, I'd appreciate hearing all about it.

Ann

Everyone (family & friends) were laughing when I got the iPhone 6 Plus and initially I did find it rather big. I got it as a tool, everyone has iPad, but I don't (seems to big for what it does to me and for more serious tasks I rather bring the laptop).

However, as a tool it does everything you do on a phone today (news, weather, banking, payments, reading forums, NetFlix, YouTube, maps, e-mails etc.), as well as a photography specific tasks (Triggertrap (see below) , iDoF Calc, NDTimer), planning photoshoots (PhotoPills, Expoly, The Photographer's Ephemeris, Stellarium, Sun Seeker), photography admin/releases (Easy Release).

After a little while, the size is an absolute non-issue, but a blessing, all the other one's iPhones seems small and fiddly. The camera is great, the stabilisation fantastic, slow motion (240fps) video awesome. I can only imagine the iPhone 6 S Plus being even better (especially the camera and video).

Two things I would really recommend in connection to this iPhone.

1. A rugged, high quality casing. I'm using an UAG (Urban Armor Gear) - might not win any style competitions, but it is rugged and saves my iphone at least a couple of times a month. I hate the "wallet" type cases that everyone else nowadays seems to love - they are fiddly and slows you down. The phone without a case is like like a slippery bar of soap.

2. Highest recommendation is for Triggertrap. A dongle that connects your camera (5D Mk III in my case) and your phone. Fantastic when it comes to high speed photography, HDR, star trails, time lapses, bramping and all conceivable ways a modern day cable release should/could work. If you consider buying one my affiliate link is http://www.triggertrap.com/#_l_wm for more info you can watch this YouTube video https://youtu.be/ae6wibhMmI8

/Martin

Just got my iPhone 6S Plus today. I bought a temporary case at the Dollar Store, yes for $1. It's not that bad. It is made of clear soft gel. it's not a hard plastic case. It makes it have a nice non-slip grip. It fits really well even though it says it is for a 6 Plus, not 6S Plus. It is called a TechFit TPU Protective Case with drop protection technology "designed to absorb shock and protect your smartphone from scratches, scuffs and dents while providing excellent grip."

Let me know if anyone finds a nice case they recommend. Meanwhile, I'm pretty happy with my $1 bargain for now. But I'll check out the UAG, Martin. Thanks for the tip!

@Lisa - I'm getting jealous now - also want the 6s Plus, but is "stuck" with the 6 Plus for another year or so. Please let me/us know how the updated camera is.

Here is the link for UAG http://www.urbanarmorgear.com/

As I said earlier, it might not be pretty (at least that's what I'm being told, but don't really agree), but it certainly gets my highest recommendation for functionality/durability/protection. I've always managed to wreck my iPhones, but not since I went for the UAG case.

I have had "rugged", highly protective cases before, but they always seem to not live up to their promised standard - areas that are supposed to be grippy get smooth with time, covers for the buttons fall off, fail to protect the actual phone and the screen breaks when I drop the phone (which I do on a regular basis).

Anyway, I have this case - think it looks rather nice! I wanted it in bright orange, but the family intervened.

I'm sure everyone already knows, but if the case is of interest, you can find it slightly cheaper elsewhere than directly from UAG - eBay, Amazon or online mobile phone accessory shops - but it certainly is worth its premium price compared to many other similar cases. 

@Lisa Well done with the Stockimo videos, I'm a subscriber and greatly appreciate them - so keep up the good work!

I like the Speck Candyshell Grip Case...

http://www.speckproducts.com/apple/iphone-cases/iphone-6-plus-cases/candyshell-grip-iphone-6-plus-cases/71263C119.html

It helps me to hang on to it. I tend to drop things and the 6 plus can be awkward to hold. I got the white one because I liked the look best but then I realized it was reflecting in the glass of something I was trying to shoot and I now use the black one.

Paulette

I like the Speck Candyshell Grip Case...

http://www.speckproducts.com/apple/iphone-cases/iphone-6-plus-cases/candyshell-grip-iphone-6-plus-cases/71263C119.html

It helps me to hang on to it. I tend to drop things and the 6 plus can be awkward to hold. I got the white one because I liked the look best but then I realized it was reflecting in the glass of something I was trying to shoot and I now use the black one.

Paulette

I also put a black CandyShell grip case on my iPhone 6.  Great case.   

"Never buy two similar cases to someone else in your household" might be another tip worth mentioning. Should have bought two different case colors at the dollar store, so I'm not always grabbing the wrong phone. Oops. For those with the new 6S models, while making a "Live" photo hold your camera in place for a few extra seconds, otherwise the end of each "Live" photo there will be a few seconds of the camera moving to your feet. 

Hi Lisa,

Interesting stuff, after initially getting only a couple of photos on Stockimo, I've had a greater success rate since using an app and "grunging" up an image. Although I still find it annoying, when I put what I consider to be a good photo up, which seems better (sometimes) than the so called likes on Stockimo, but only end up with 2 stars, which I don't understand sometimes.

Have you had much success? I've only got 35 stockimo photos, even though I tweet iPhone photos all the time, but i'm yet to sell any.

Thanks

Chris

Hi Lisa,

Interesting stuff, after initially getting only a couple of photos on Stockimo, I've had a greater success rate since using an app and "grunging" up an image. Although I still find it annoying, when I put what I consider to be a good photo up, which seems better (sometimes) than the so called likes on Stockimo, but only end up with 2 stars, which I don't understand sometimes.

Have you had much success? I've only got 35 stockimo photos, even though I tweet iPhone photos all the time, but i'm yet to sell any.

Thanks

Chris

I now have 582 on sale via Stockimo, with 7 sales (2 more spotted in The Guardian recently but not paid yet). I don't think you have to grunge to get a photo accepted, but it sure is an easy way to create a dramatic mood. I created my Youtube videos just for this exact conversation. These are the tricks and tips that I have learned which might help others who are frustrated by having too many rejections. 

The recent e-mail from Stockimo is trying to explain it better for everyone...

Here's how to improve your chances of getting top marks.

Find a different angle

Get a little bit closer

Try a new editing app

Top tip: Be creative. Always do something a little different with each shot you take.

Not a day goes by when there isn't a dog photo on the Stockimo Likes screen. This "Pooch Selfie" is a clever idea to get your dog to look directly at your iPhone while photographing them. It's a tennis ball that attaches to the top of your cell phone!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/poochselfie/pooch-selfie-the-best-way-to-capture-selfies-with

06c505094525f1f4f9db295e5bece4c2_origina

Just got my iPhone 6S Plus today. I bought a temporary case at the Dollar Store, yes for $1. It's not that bad. It is made of clear soft gel. it's not a hard plastic case. It makes it have a nice non-slip grip. It fits really well even though it says it is for a 6 Plus, not 6S Plus. It is called a TechFit TPU Protective Case with drop protection technology "designed to absorb shock and protect your smartphone from scratches, scuffs and dents while providing excellent grip."

Let me know if anyone finds a nice case they recommend. Meanwhile, I'm pretty happy with my $1 bargain for now. But I'll check out the UAG, Martin. Thanks for the tip!

Lisa, I just went with the Apple silicon case for my 6S Plus.  It doesn't add much bulk or weight but most importantly adds grip.  So far happy with the phone and had my first Stockimo photo accepted and it also made the Grid of Greatness.

the-dome-of-st-pauls-cathedral-sandwiche

Congrats Adrian. Maybe I should do a future YouTube video on reflections. I'll head back to the dollar store and pick up some mirrored sunglasses and see if I can take some interesting reflection shots. Let's see... reflections in sunglasses, puddles, skyscrapers, car side mirrors, store windows, make up and lipstick case mirrors, this should be fun!

Window of a Ford Cobra 427

window-of-a-ford-cobra-427-s06peb.jpg

Custom Chrome Tron Lamborghini Aventador

custom-chrome-tron-lamborghini-aventador

Solar panel on the roof of a Fisker car

solar-panel-on-the-roof-of-a-fisker-car-

Edited to add examples from my Stockimo collection.

Archived