Oversupplied subjects?

"Funny thing but I know a small highly regarded agency, they are very expensive and still using the old approach in every way, they are small but flourishing, doing really good business. Just goes to show"

I know a couple in the UK, Christian.  One reason buyers use them is to avoid this:

http://www.indiebooklauncher.com/resources-diy/gallery-of-clones.php

On the larger question:  new technology might be the problem, getting on top of it is the solution.  Learn how to present your work online in new and interesting ways, learn about multi-media, don't just rely on the digits you camera produces but create your own using 3d software.  And so on.

Looking at the book covers, thats almost unbelievable! not just similars, but same pictures,

"Funny thing but I know a small highly regarded agency, they are very expensive and still using the old approach in every way, they are small but flourishing, doing really good business. Just goes to show"

I know a couple in the UK, Christian.  One reason buyers use them is to avoid this:

http://www.indiebooklauncher.com/resources-diy/gallery-of-clones.php

On the larger question:  new technology might be the problem, getting on top of it is the solution.  Learn how to present your work online in new and interesting ways, learn about multi-media, don't just rely on the digits you camera produces but create your own using 3d software.  And so on.

Looking at the book covers, thats almost unbelievable! not just similars, but same pictures,

Good examples on the link given as to why the history of an image can be important. But ! .........What these examples don't mention is that the books could be using these images only for certain territories. An image could have restrictions placed on it, so that it is not to be used again in a given country, but okay to be used elsewhere.

For example,..... one of the books shown could be for the UK market. The other (different) book, but with the same image, could be for the Australian market.

But yes, image buyers must be careful in how they source/check their material.

Alamy's success in the future will depend almost entirely on the ranking system.

It doesn't matter (to Alamy or clients) how many results a search brings up as long as the best ones turn up first, or at least near the front.

You can be pretty sure Chuck's images are among those on the first page in relevant searches.

Some of mine are, but I'm quite sure nobody has ever even seen one of my images which is undoubtedly the finest picture ever taken of the Eiffel Tower. I can't even find it when I search 'Eiffel Tower'.

Alamy need to make sure the search system keeps on delivering and photographers need to make sure they know how it works and tailor their output, and input, accordingly.

Alamy's success in the future will depend almost entirely on the ranking system.

It doesn't matter (to Alamy or clients) how many results a search brings up as long as the best ones turn up first, or at least near the front.

You can be pretty sure Chuck's images are among those on the first page in relevant searches.

Some of mine are, but I'm quite sure nobody has ever even seen one of my images which is undoubtedly the finest picture ever taken of the Eiffel Tower. I can't even find it when I search 'Eiffel Tower'.

Alamy need to make sure the search system keeps on delivering and photographers need to make sure they know how it works and tailor their output, and input, accordingly.

So add a cat to the Eiffel tower. No smiley, I'm being serious. Add something that is searched for, but not a lot of people have. So do not add a girl or woman. Only one search for a cat, but no images at all. Same for dog.

Stay away from all subjects that have more than 90 images turn up in a search. You can go back to them as soon as your image starts to turn up on pages 1 to 3 for Eiffel Tower. Preferably on the first 3 rows of page 1. Not kidding.

Maybe even park those in a different pseudo for the moment. Again: one or two can get back in later.

wim

edit: mine is now #3, but has not sold, so no guarantees there. Mine is perfectly adequate also. Probably/maybe that's not enough.

I don't think we need to worry too much Alamy's success.  It will continue to be successful because the people running it are smart and the business model works well.  It gets a decent slice of the best commercial work coming from agencies, and a high proportion of it's contribs are enthusiasts and don't mind the meagre returns per image (bear in mind that some agencies can do well solely as distributors).  The fact that it is never going to be what some commercial agencies are, enabling contributors to earn a professional level of income, is a fact that has little bearing either on its success or its year-on-year profit. 

Well that remaints to be seen Robert?  if they really want to be in the front running they will simply have to not just improve the creative search but the whole section in fact. Got to give way to images of commercial value, thats where the revenue is, have always been.

To constantly fall back on old editorial content will just keep it in limbo, status-quo,  when the art is to move forward, upwards.

This is my third attempt here, over a year back I left here simply because there was little if any interest in the creative section, media. Maybe things have changed a bit? don't know. I took my portfolio from here and stuck it in another outlet and of course it sold very well indeed.

The late Stan Kanney, founder of the Image-Bank in the 80,s taught me something very useful. He said, its not just a matter of playing it safe with bona-fide sellers, anybody can do that,  the entire art, is to be able to spot potentially good sellers.

Big difference!

I don't think we need to worry too much Alamy's success.  It will continue to be successful because the people running it are smart and the business model works well.  It gets a decent slice of the best commercial work coming from agencies, and a high proportion of it's contribs are enthusiasts and don't mind the meagre returns per image (bear in mind that some agencies can do well solely as distributors).  The fact that it is never going to be what some commercial agencies are, enabling contributors to earn a professional level of income, is a fact that has little bearing either on its success or its year-on-year profit. 

I think what I was trying to say is that over-supply of particular subjects is a problem for some photographers, not for Alamy - as long as the search engine keeps working. I would certainly not pay to travel to Paris in order to photograph the Eiffel Tower, but if I was there and walking past I wouldn't refrain from photography because it's been done before. The results would have to be good to get uploaded though. One of the most photographed scenes in Europe is Venice Grand canal from the Academia bridge and even i have had a couple of sales from there.

When choosing subjects now I bear in mind my ranking for the relevant pseudonym. My studio images come up at the beginning so most subjects are worth doing - travel less so.

I'm using the term 'success' in a qualified way, Christian. assuming that  the objective is to run a medium sized biz, keep it in the family and hence maintain full control, make enough revenue to pay all the employees, finance a separate non-profit making enterprise and still make a 7 figure profit.  I think part of their success involves keeping investment down to a minimum. (There is a lot of short-termism at the moment.  Successful companies often go public in order to expand and then get destroyed because investors can’t see beyond the end of their snouts - assuming they can even see that far)

I suspect they have more or less given up on having a separate creative collection because that would involve a few extra Bernies*.  I work with a much smaller agency (in terms of collection size) that is developing its commercial/creative offering  much more purposefully than Alamy ever will.  It can do that because the collection is about 1/100th the size of Alamy’s, the average returns per image are far greater, the contributors are mainly pros who don’t need spoon feeding  (or to receive emails telling them they are doing great when they are not).

*Just spent a few days down in London polishing up my Cockney rhyming slang

I love the old Cockney slang, sounds great, you want to go down the markets there, jeez talk about slang, sometimes its even hard to understand what they are talking about.

I know what you mean, smaller agency. True! I have mentioned it some times before but I have my own digitalized little outfit, small, only some 90000 images and because its often sensiteve industrial imagery, I keep it offline and sell to a whole heap of regular clients, fill-in pics for annuals and things like that. Had it since 1998 and for each year its just getting better, the creative market right now is in fact booming, some agencies I work with are trebbling downloads etc.

Even the top two, three Micros are selling creative content like crazy and I am not just talking subs here I'm talking Extended-licenses, credit-sales, etc. I mean Alamy is HUGE! no need to cull the collection  but surely it can't be all that difficult for a search to promote good commercial creative material?

Oh well, never mind, if they are on a winning formula just promoting editorial content then really, why should they change? no need I suppose.

Now go down to the Pig and Whislte Pub, down by the Thames in east-end and have yourself a large Cockney Lager!  hehe!

Photographers who think they know better how to run a photo agency.

What else is new....

Reminds me of travel writers on press trips who think they know better how to run hotels & restaurants.

> It's obvious from the monthly "How was your Jan, Feb, July, etc.?" forum threads that most of us aren't exactly getting rich.

This leads to the conclusion that the market has become supersaturated with certain types of imagery.

Then it logically follows some AIN'T poor because, regardless of image saturation, theirs are getting licensed...

Hehe!  well whats wrong with that??  Tony was a photographer, Tony-Stone,  Stan Kanney of the image-bank was a photographer, Mark Getty og GI, was an ex-photographer, Alberto of Pictor was a photographer, etc, etc.

I have run my own humble stock outlet for over 15 years!

almost all of todays newly founded agencies are run by computer-geeks!  you prefer that?

My takeaways from this rambling conversation:

-editorial "more of the same" stock images -- oversupplied

-commercially oriented and "creative" (whatever that means) stock images -- under supplied

-computer geeks -- oversupplied

-Jeff is getting rich

-all of the above, an oversimplification

-I was crazy asking this question in the first place

On a more positive note I had a sale drop in today for $197 and the subject is oversupplied to the tune of 940,481, or is it?

Regards

Craig

Apparently not. Maybe you can track down the search in AoA and see if there were other similar sales.

On a more positive note I had a sale drop in today for $197 and the subject is oversupplied to the tune of 940,481, or is it?

Regards

Craig

Apparently not. Maybe you can track down the search in AoA and see if there were other similar sales.

It was never zoomed so I don't have the search term to track it down. 

Regards

Craig

was a photographer...was a photographer...was a photographer...was a photographer...was a photographer...

None of them None of them None of them None of them!!!!!.....

....wasted time moaning on forums -- they took action!!!!!!!!!!  :o  :o  :o 

Blimey Jeff!  take it easy will ya!  just look at your ECG cardiogram at the bottom of your post, its looking funny. :D  :D  :D

My last two sales here  - one was an editorial travel image "oversupplied" with 10,000+ for the specific locale, the other, a "creative" with 4,000+ for the simple concept. 

Made a lot more on the "editorial/travel" image than on the "creative" one, so not really making any point here except that even with stiff competition your images can be licensed. 

Then again, maybe in a sea of 60 million, 10,000 isn't "oversupplied," though it certainly seems like stiff competition to me. 

Regards

Craig

It was never zoomed so I don't have the search term to track it down. 

Regards

Craig

You might try the year's searches of likely keywords. Not necessarily a good use of time unless you're really curious about it.

Archived