• Ann E Parry - Javits Center reflecting Manhattan with the New York Hotel
    • Graham Morley - Coronation Buildings vauxhall in 1968
    • John Keates (Stokie) - Two Cornish tin mines near Pendeen
    • Jools Elliott - Florence sunset over the Arno River - video
    • Keith Douglas - Rifugio Duca Degli Abruzzi
    • Michael Ventura - Baltimore Inner Harbor with couple on Federal Hill
    • Phil Crean - Seagulls on a crane on Tenerife
    • Philippe Clement - lightning striking an oil refinery

Many thanks to everyone who entered this challenge!

Even making a longlist was difficult. There were 97 great images and 1 video to choose from.

Now it's your turn:

Posted Image

Alan Wrigley (Inchiquin) - The Kelpies sculpture at night in Falkirk, Stirling

Posted Image

Ann E Parry - Javits Center reflecting Manhattan with the New York Hotel

Posted Image

Graham Morley - Coronation Buildings Vauxhall in 1968

Posted Image

John Keates (Stokie) - Two Cornish tin mines near Pendeen

Jools Elliott - Florence sunset over the Arno River - video

Posted Image

Keith Douglas - Rifugio Duca Degli Abruzzi

Posted Image

Michael Ventura - Baltimore Inner Harbor with couple on Federal Hill

Posted Image

Phil Crean - Seagulls on a crane on Tenerife

Posted Image

Philippe Clement (Arterra) - lightning striking an oil refinery (my guess: Total Antwerpen)

Yes it's 9, not 8 because of the video.

There may be a small comfort for those not in the shortlist: maybe you made the longlist.

Voting ends on Saturday August 08 at noon London time (because then we're all on the same day/date):

12:00 noon London BST on Saturday August 08

= LA 04:00 / 4:00 AM

= NYC 07:00 / 7:00 AM

= Amsterdam 13:00 1:00 PM

= Sydney 21:00 / 9:00 PM

wim

Well done for whittling all those great images down to 9. And congratulations to those on the shortlist.

Now, which one to vote for?

+1  ! Difficult choice!

Kumar

Yes a very difficult choice! Have a look at the longlist and you'll see the ultimate contenders. If you look closely, you will discover the pattern.

Most of the process was done without looking at the names. Some have even remained in with all images until the very last bit.

I hope the whole post still looks decent everywhere, because in the end I had to revert to hand coding. My skills were beyond rusty though ;-)

As most of you who have set up such a voting already know, the poll in the end is a leap of faith, but pretty straight forward. It was the video that was more than stubborn of course. But I had to get it in.

It's good to see the voting is well underway already.

Thank you all for taking part and for voting!

wim

Wim, many thanks for choosing one of mine for the final 8 (9)!

I would have been honoured to have just made the longlist nevermind the shortlist!!

Cheers, John

Wim, you've selected such a variety of effective images I'm constantly changing which one of the eight to vote for.

Separately, Arno brings to mind perhaps my favorite movie, A Room with a View, and one of the vistas is of region my mom comes from (and shares such a different view of the mountains than the painting over my couch does).

Ann

Win, you've selected such a variety of effective images I'm constantly changing which one of the eight to vote for.

Separately, Arno brings to mind perhaps my favorite movie, A Room with a View, and one of the vistas is of region my mom comes from (and shares such a different view of the mountains than the painting over my couch does).

Ann

I have been to 4 out of 9 locations, that may well have had an influence on the selection.

Otoh in the end I left out some of my all time favorite destinations: Bangkok; Bagan, U Bein's Bridge and San Gimignano.

I have certainly photographed the Javits Center (because that is where the US camera trade show is).

Florence was a really long time ago. The park bench on Federal Hill probably is the same I sat on photographing the skyline of Baltimore. And the Antwerp harbor is a vast industrial landscape just south of where my family comes from.

Suffice to say my images of those locations would not hold up against the ones in this line up. I have to get back there.

The others all make me want to go there now. Especially the 1968 one. ;-)

wim

Two days left to vote!

picture-3.png?w=450&h=326

We have a strong frontrunner at the moment.

Voting ends on Saturday August 08 at noon London time:

wim

Win, you've selected such a variety of effective images I'm constantly changing which one of the eight to vote for.

Ann

I have been to 4 out of 9 locations, that may well have had an influence on the selection.

Otoh in the end I left out some of my all time favorite destinations: Bangkok; Bagan, U Bein's Bridge and San Gimignano.

I have certainly photographed the Javits Center (because that is where the US camera trade show is).

Florence was a really long time ago. The park bench on Federal Hill probably is the same I sat on photographing the skyline of Baltimore. And the Antwerp harbor is a vast industrial landscape just south of where my family comes from.

Suffice to say my images of those locations would not hold up against the ones in this line up. I have to get back there.

The others all make me want to go there now. Especially the 1968 one. ;-)

wim

Next time you are in the DC/Baltimore area, we should meet up!

Last change to vote!

- Or to change your vote. ;-)

wim

Voting ends on Saturday August 08 at noon London time:

The others all make me want to go there now. Especially the 1968 one

Unfortunately, this location was demolished in 1981, although I am sure other chimney skylines still exist in London.

That's unfortunate. The year would be plenty enough for me though ;-)

Time is ticking on a very much smaller scale here:

5 minutes left to vote or change your vote.

wim

Archived