Busking = Street entertainer, usually music but can be other forms. Acrobat, dance, etc.

Allan

PS: We do get some really good turns in Cambridge.

PPS: Buskers are licensed Entertainers. Those not licensed are beggars.

I photographed someone whilst they were busking next to a no busking sign, and was told " hey you are not allowed to photograph me " I replied with.. and you are not allowed to busk here.. we both laughed and i got my picture, generally I dont like the pictures if they are posed, so try not to get noticed..

What does busking mean? Begging?

Aging buskers photographed last week. These guys were really good. "Busking" is used a lot in Canada. Not in the USA?

Okay, got it. You guys stymy me sometimes with a word I'm not familiar with. :)

"stymy" .....?????

Have to look that one up  :huh:

Cheers,

Philippe

:lol:  :D  :)

Allan

I have had very few problems over over the years, either with 'street' photography or using a large format camera in prominent positions. One exception was some years ago when I was working on the "Great Little Tin Sheds of Wales' body of work. The guy who owned this butchers shop: http://www.pete-davis-photography.com/sheds08.html - watched me setting up the large format camera through the window, then came to the door and shouted abuse at me - in Welsh - (which is a great language for abuse), almost all the time it took me to set up, compose, focus, take meter readings etc. Just as I slid the film holder in ready to fire the shutter he gave up and went inside. 'Click' got it! many years earlier I included one shop owner in the photograph: 

http://www.pete-davis-photography.com/splott24.html

I followed the second link, Pete - absolutely fantastic photographs, full of atmosphere and nostalgia.

Diolch yn fawr.

Diolch Gruff. Cardiff was home at the time so as a Splott boy it was important to record the changes in the city. Also as a Splott boy I am not intimidated on the streets! I used to be able to give a good 'Splott kiss' when I was in school there many, many, many years ago! Not any more I hasten to add! (For those who don't know what a 'Splott kiss' is, it's like a Glasgow kiss but hurts more)!

I followed the second link, Pete - absolutely fantastic photographs, full of atmosphere and nostalgia.

Diolch yn fawr.

+1

+2

Allan

Glad you like the pics guys. It's just one of the things photography does best, a record of life, people places and atmosphere for others to connect with. I have just been very lucky to have been 'at it' for a very long time and my older work has acquired a 'patina of age'! Still keeps me buy too, as this stuff is in demand from individual collectors and institutions in the form of original prints. I have been in the darkroom fulfilling orders for four days now. Maybe this is a note for younger photographers. None of this stuff was 'commissioned' or destined originally for sale, it was all self-originated and undertaken in my, very little, free time when i was a busy advertising and fashion photographer.  Apart from a few Arts Council grants and commercial sponsorship, all self-financed too. I was lucky to be offered exhibitions all over the place and now this work keeps me in the manner to which I have grown accustomed and the income allows me to continue making new work. Even if there have been a few hungry moments along the way!

• 4 months later...

Do photographers need permission to photograph a graffiti artist at work on a wall in a public place if the photo is shot from the road.

Does anyone know?

Thank you!

Kathy

For commercial use yes. Editorial use no.

Mirco

Do photographers need permission to photograph a graffiti artist at work on a wall in a public place if the photo is shot from the road.

Does anyone know?

Thank you!

Kathy

No permission required, even if they object, though I have never encountered any graffiti artist who didn't like free publicity.

graffiti-artist-spraying-a-wall-in-east-

man-on-a-ladder-painting-a-mural-on-a-wa

graffiti-artist-in-the-process-of-spray-

Parm :)

Does anyone know?

Thank you!

Kathy

Depends on the country.

In France and Quebec: yes.

They have the paparazzi law.

If he's under age in the UK and some states in the US he may fall under the paparazzi laws there.

Otherwise: did he say please nice enough?

wim

I photographed someone whilst they were busking next to a no busking sign, and was told " hey you are not allowed to photograph me " I replied with.. and you are not allowed to busk here.. we both laughed and i got my picture, generally I dont like the pictures if they are posed, so try not to get noticed..

What does busking mean? Begging?

Playing music for money. Usually a guitar.

"Buskers" A new keyword to add to some of my images. Never heard it before. 

Assuming I've got it right here?:

group-of-street-musicians-band-playing-g

Would these guys - who if I recall, had a bag out for tips, be considered buskers if their entertaining does not include singing or dancing?

edinburgh-aug-9-two-gymnasts-perform-on-

Archived