Location in keywords

Is it good practice to leave common locations out of essential keywords to help with un relevant search's, for example a cyclist in Norwich Norfolk England UK, would appear in ever search for Norwich Norfolk UK, when the location is not specific or important to the subject of the image. 

The problem comes when customers search generic locations and you get numerous views and damage your CTR. 

Steve

If I want it included but not prime, I put it in the comprehensive section so it would be low on the totem pole for people searching just the specific place. But there in case my main subject was included with the name.

Jill

Is it good practice to leave common locations out of essential keywords to help with un relevant search's, for example a cyclist in Norwich Norfolk England UK, would appear in ever search for Norwich Norfolk UK, when the location is not specific or important to the subject of the image

The problem comes when customers search generic locations and you get numerous views and damage your CTR. 

Steve

Unless someone was searching for a cyclist in Norwich Norfolk England UK................

• 2 weeks later...

And what if someone was searching for " Norwich people" or similar? You'd want your cyclist image to appear in the results, right? My philosophy is that all of my travel images include the location in the keywords - usually in Main, but sometimes in Essential.

I also take the graduated approach. If it is incidental to the photograph, presumably as in your instance, I'd put it in comprehensive in case someone searches for cyclists in Norwich, but so it's not likely to come up in a more general location search. 

Does the search engine have a different agenda?

Yesterday it showed a search for 'Greek island' and only the first 4 of my many images with those keywords contained in more than one of the keyword fields were selected for viewing.  Why does it leave the others out?  Is it because there are so many and it only shows 4 from each contributor in the interest of fairness?

Can anyone help me understand this logic? Am I wasting my time submitting images from popular places?

Does the search engine have a different agenda?

Yesterday it showed a search for 'Greek island' and only the first 4 of my many images with those keywords contained in more than one of the keyword fields were selected for viewing.  Why does it leave the others out?  Is it because there are so many and it only shows 4 from each contributor in the interest of fairness?

Can anyone help me understand this logic? Am I wasting my time submitting images from popular places?

You only get a view credited if one of your pictures is actually viewed by a client.

Perhaps they only viewed a page (90) images and only 4 of your images were on that page, perhaps all your others were on page 2, 3 etc.

John.

• 2 months later...

It helps to approach this on an image by image basis. If the image clearly shows the location, then this should appear in Caption and Essential keywords. If the image is focusing on something else, other than the location, but the location is helping set the scene (maybe as a backdrop) then it's good to have location as a Main keyword but perhaps not necessarily in Caption. Another consideration is that if location is in some way pertinent to the activity or context of the image, such lions in the Savannah. In this case, perhaps the lion is the main focus and not much of the scene is depicted but for people looking for animals (or specifically lions) in the Savannah, then its good to be able to verify location. Often picture buyers need to know location as it may have been specified by their end client in the brief. In some cases, not adding location can mean that your image will simply be ignored. As a general rule, if the location is very insignificant and in no way adds value to the search results, then we'd not include it as a keyword. 

Archived