Image processing before submission help

When you bring an image from LR to photoshop, as the poster above said, it comes into PS as a 16 bit file. You have to go under the "File" heading to change it to 8 bits. Once you do that, you can save as a JPEG.

When I took up photography, I did an awful lot of online learning. I joined a camera specific organization and began posting my puny attempts at picture taking and got critique and helpful suggestions. Only after I understood what the f-stop meant, what depth of field came from settings I chose, and that when shooting birds I needed faster shutter speeds than when shooting flowers, and, as important in its own way, how to process them to get the colors true among other things, did I feel ready to try Alamy.

You will eventually know instinctively whether you should be shooting in aperture or shutter. I have an idea you are probably shooting your camera on auto. That can get you good photos, but also can miss the mark more than you'd think, since the camera is making decisions you should be making. And the camera doesn't know when it should stop down or when you really need that faster shutter speed. Only your brain can make those critical decisions.

The Alamy forum really isn't the place to learn Photography 101. We do help each other with related questions and answers, but those questions aren't as basic as what your needs are.

It would be good if you could find an online or real people organization that is interested in helping out the new photographer without flaming wars. Or you could simply take a photography course at a community college.

Good luck.

Betty

Going back to the original question about sharpening. I work in jpeg, and do sharpen images, but everyone who does that will know that over-sharpening looks awful. So, sharpening with discretion seems to be OK, as my sharpened images do pass quality control.

Passing QC is not really the issue though. If the sharpening you've applied causes artefacts at the reproduction stage, then not only might you get a sale refunded, but also Alamy will have to deal with a dissatisfied customer - and one who will be wary of licensing anything shot by you in the future.

Alan

Just want to let everyone know that I received feedback from QC and I'm happy to report that all 4 samples were approved. I guess I got lucky, lol, BUT will look to improve thanks to the suggestions mentioned here. Baby steps...

Congrats! I started with Stock but found it way more fun to go to events and submit photos to the Live News Feed. It's gotten me out and about to events that I never would have imagined. I've covered music festivals, red carpets, crazy-themed conventions, dog shows, TED Talks, book signings, Holiday parades, lunar events in the night sky, and of course the best selling topic of 'weather'. You might want to try sunrises and sunsets, or dogs playing with a frisbee, etc. for the Live News Feed. Just go here for inspiration: http://www.alamy.com/news/

Archived