vpics

UK photographer hits back at Taylor Swift over imposing photography restrictions

A must read for everyone. Taylor Swift has just won a victory over Apple, but at the same time she (or her management) restricts photographers at her concerts. A must read. 

http://metro.co.uk/2015/06/22/photographer-accuses-taylor-swift-of-being-a-hypocrite-over-copyright-in-new-open-letter-following-her-apple-victory-5257575/?fb_ref=Default

• Upvote 3

i heard a similar thing of "mehgan trainor", but shes relatiely new compared to taylor.

perhaps the same management or something somewhere along the lines, or a worrying new "trend".

I really like his response to Swift.

I must be getting old. I had to Google Taylor Swift. I thought it was a Vietnamese gents outfitters.

• Upvote 1

The media should just boycott Taylor Swift and other acts with similar contracts. Let them hire their own photographers.

That contract with her photographers seems ridiculous.  And don't the stars need their photographers as much as vice versa?

I suppose the fact that she can do this suggests where the balance of power lies.

There will be any number of photographers available to work at her gigs, but there's only one T Swift.

wouldnt the adage of, you should never delete any images even when asked, override this?

your property, your finger on the shutter.

as is usually said as advice, when police etc, try to get you to remove film or del.

And I just spotted this on Petapixel. If true, they can destroy your equipment if you fail to comply.

I can see interesting court cases ensuing if it ever comes to pass

http://petapixel.com/2015/06/23/taylor-swift-photo-contract-break-our-rules-and-we-can-break-your-gear/

wouldnt the adage of, you should never delete any images even when asked, override this?

your property, your finger on the shutter.

as is usually said as advice, when police etc, try to get you to remove film or del.

And I just spotted this on Petapixel. If true, they can destroy your equipment if you fail to comply.

I can see interesting court cases ensuing if it ever comes to passhttp://petapixel.com/2015/06/23/taylor-swift-photo-contract-break-our-rules-and-we-can-break-your-gear/

I know little about the law, but I guess a contract trumps an adage. It does depend on you handing over the items required, though.

yes true, but as a good rule of thumb, u shouldnt delete anything if asked,

and im sure if your required to, only a court order or similar would do.,

but sad to say, there WILL be photographer who will sign the contract, 1000's wouldnt, 1 would.. either way, mrs swift wins.

ya takes ya chances.. always plenty ready to step in your shoes i guess,

Many artists use quite similar contracts when performing live.

Many others do not allow photographers to shoot at all…

I do not understand how this is supposed to work.

I used to think that these artists and authorized photographers have a mutual benefit.

Think about bands like The Rolling Stones or The Beatles and how photography has been part of their success.

But it does not seem to me that the artists think this way anymore.

Some may think that these artists are trying to control their image but how can you control anything when everyone has an iPhone?

Is it better to have the web covered with unflattering smartphone images of you, or fewer and more flattering ones made by authorized photographers having their work paid?

Edited by Olivier Parent
  • Upvote 1

A contract that purports to permit criminal damage wouldn't be upheld in England as a matter of public policy, never mind anything else.

Edited by spacecadet

A lot of "Pop" bands have done this for a while, The Stone Roses did it for their comeback tour a couple of years ago, it's a bit like footballers with their image rights, you now have acts who think they are so important, they want to stop anyone else from earning off the back of them.

Some of the older bands At Arenas have you far away, so Its difficult to take photos, or use a lot of red LED's in the first three songs, then all of a sudden, the lighting is good.

Funny though because as has been mentioned tons of photos & videos are taken using smart phones, but the only band I've heard of who did ban them at their concerts, either last year or 2013, I think was The Eagles, who instructed the security in their Arena tours to tell people to put their phones away when they got them out to take photos.