Essential keywords show up together

Slightly OT, but here's something very interesting.

A simple search on my name returns only news images, as expected, because my name is in the caption.

However, one other image appears, and it's because there is a place card in the image with my name on it, in handwriting.

a-bottle-of-highland-park-single-malt-sc

The only explanation is that Alamy has machine-read the card.

You can find your images by searching your name only if you do an Advanced Search or if you add it to your keywords. I put quotation marks around mine and put it in the Comprehensive field.

Paulette

Slightly OT, but here's something very interesting.

A simple search on my name returns only news images, as expected, because my name is in the caption.

However, one other image appears, and it's because there is a place card in the image with my name on it, in handwriting.

a-bottle-of-highland-park-single-malt-sc

The only explanation is that Alamy has machine-read the card.

Are you sure you didn't add the keywords yourself at the time? I mean, probably you wouldn't be able to remember everything after that  :)

Mark,

It's in the keywords: place / setting / "mark / dunn" / calling / card.

Marmot,

The result for a search for Krys Bailey is 8735

of which 8709 belong to you or your pseudo Krys Bailey.

You have your name in the keywords of most of your images.

Your blue number here is 8009, but when I click on it it shows 8,732 images.

They all show up for an advanced search for Krys Bailey as well.

You have Krys in the keywords of 8718 images.

But Bailey in the keywords of 8711 images

Now the black number underneath your images for the search for Krys Bailey is 8709. (So some have Krys missing, or miss-spelled and some Bailey and some even both.)

That means 8735-8709=26 image have Krys Bailey keywords, but are not yours.

All the false Krys Baileys appear on page 1, so it's pretty easy.

There are only 26 not yours:

8 Japanese Anemones
3 Pelicans
2 Sweet Peas
2 Vultures
1 White pigeon
1 Modern offices London
1 Multimeter
1 Iguana
1 Red Panda

All subjects you have too. A lot of keywords are similar. Then again, if I knew nothing about an Anemone and I did a quick scan and found exactly the same Anemone somewhere with the name Krys Bailey, I could be fooled to think it was the cultivars name. Well OK maybe not ;-)

And then there are:

6 ZumaPress News from a 2008 play at Le Chat Noir where a Krys Bailey (not you?) plays Henri

That's all.

For now. (Because scraping seems no longer to be forbidden, ssshh..)

wim

Wim

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to get to the root of the mystery!

I've always wanted my name linked to some exotic flower or animal!!! :D

Have a great weekend!

Marmot ;)

Wim

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to get to the root of the mystery!

I've always wanted my name linked to some exotic flower or animal!!! :D

Have a great weekend!

Marmot ;)

You're welcome!

Le Chat Noir? Dangerous place for a Marmot ;-)

wim

• 1 month later...

I encountered this strange unintended clumping together of keywords a while back.  It seems that if you put quotation marks around a phrase then some more keywords, then another phrase with keywords, it would clump the words together which appeared between the two groups with quotation marks.  

My way around this was to put one or two spaces before and after the phrase within the quotations marks.  I am finding now it that this seems to work and most of the time words are no longer clumped together in this way.

Kathy

You can find your images by searching your name only if you do an Advanced Search or if you add it to your keywords. I put quotation marks around mine and put it in the Comprehensive field.

Paulette

Same here. At the very end of comprehensive.

• 4 weeks later...
It is still going on in August 2015. I had this happen yesterday.

canada, country, farmland, field, north america, oak ridges moraine, ontario, pickup, road truck farm, rural, summer, uxbridge

Note the words, road truck farm, have been joined together although they are not supposed to be. Upsetting because they are the most essential keywords for the image.

The program got "north america", and "oak ridges moraine", correct. 

I think it is a bug in the Alamy program when it tries to decide which quotation mark goes with which other quotation mark. When it changes keyword order if it sees the string ["north america" road truck farm "oak ridges moraine"] it gets a little lost and thinks road truck farm is between quotation marks as well.

This may be why the [word word] feature promised years ago has not yet been implemented.

Here is a wickipedia entry that should make everything perfectly clear

Bill,

I think you're absolutely right.  By altering the order of keywords and "keyword phrases" the programme (or program!) gets itself into a muddle.  What's interesting is that I use several other agencies, all of whom use the "quotation mark" system to keep keyword phrases together, and therefore prevent spurious searches, and this problem has never arisen, as far as I know.  

As an aside, I think there are other factors involved when it comes to not implementing the keyword marks, such as quotes and brackets.  But don't get me started on this.

Chris

Archived