Man, men, house, houses, plurals?

So I'm confused. When I joined, I believe stemming was in place. Unless my brain tumor is growing, (kidding), at a later date stemming was removed and we were told to use plurals. Also, think, thinking and such.

Then somewhere recently on the forum, it was mentioned Alamy doesn't want us to use plurals if only one subject is in the picture.

So what is it? If I have one man in the picture, standing in front of one house, do I keyword man, men, person, people? House, houses? Or man, house?

Just when I think I know the answers, somebody changes the questions.

Betty

I would just think that you should put that what is on the photo. I dont think that if somebody searches for woman that he wants to get a group of people.

I would just put man and house. If there are two houses then "houses". But this is how i think........... Better 7 relevant keywords then 25 and 15 from it are not directly matching.

Mirco

I would just think that you should put that what is on the photo. I dont think that if somebody searches for woman that he wants to get a group of people.

I would just put man and house. If there are two houses then "houses". But this is how i think........... Better 7 relevant keywords then 25 and 15 from it are not directly matching.

Mirco

The trouble is though Mirco that a potential buyer may well search for "women in the gym" and would be happy with, or even prefer, an image showing a woman in the gym. 

Buyers are often not that literal.

Mirco

The trouble is though Mirco that a potential buyer may well search for "women in the gym" and would be happy with, or even prefer, an image showing a woman in the gym. 

Buyers are often not that literal.

Have to agree, they are looking for multiple images of a particular subject, and the brain easily slips into plural mode in that scenario.

When people stop searching for "Norfolk churches" or "English villages" then I will stop putting in plurals.

I do it on a picture by picture basis. If I think the image contains something generic that is likely to be searched for in the plural, I include plurals. If not, I don't.

Alan

Say you have a woman holding a baby. Do you only use woman, baby? And, of course, the other singular words, infant female, etc.

"Women with babies".

So I would include plurals.

Alan

Betty, I now add the plurals to my images (when I remember) even if there's only a singular subject.  And also include the singular version when there's more than one in the image.  I learned my lesson after seeing my images had been missed in customer searches (for things like "Vancouver mountains" when I had a photo of one of them).

If I have the space I always use all variants i.e. woman women lady ladies female females girl girls, insofar as it is appropriate. I also use misspellings when I see them and foreign names as well as English and American equivalents - Cuba Kuba - grey gray - etc

dov

If the photo includes a woman only then to add "girl, girls" to your keywords will have a detrimental affect the ctr surely.

Allan

If the photo includes a woman only then to add "girl, girls" to your keywords will have a detrimental affect the ctr surely.

Allan

Not unless her name is Shirley.

Sorry i'll get my coat!

John.

Archived