New Professional Stock Photography Facebook

If anyone has applied and not been accepted please apply again. I had a couple of names pop up and disappear before I could do anything with them. FB seems to be a bit slow at the moment so there may be issues there.

We are now over 60 members.

Hi Martin, I do not "do" Facebook or Twitter but I am sure you would not have me as a member anyway.

Best of luck and hope it goes well for you.

Allan

Of course we would have you Allan. In fact I can't think of any forum regular who I would not accept, indeed such a group needs the widest possible spread of views, experience and ideas.The discussions are more about the wider opportunites than Alamy matters, which is exactly what I hoped.

But if you don't do Facebook that does make it rather difficult :)

Not everyone is going to agree about everything but as long as disagreements remain civil, as if talking to someone face-to-face in the pub, then it will be a good source of information about agencies, infringers, etc.

I've already learned more about my fellow photographers over there in a week than I knew about them here over the last couple of years.

I'd really like to join, but really don't want to join FB.  Kinda stuck really! :(

I was in a similar position a couple of years ago. I was taking part in an art festival and the festival organisers posted all the info and updates on FB, rather than doing emails etc., Despite my lack of enthusiasm for FB, I joined so that I could get the festival details. I don't do the 'friends' bit, but I am using it more now for another web presence. I still resent having had to join it in the first place, as the festival organisers were not prepared to communicate individually to participants.

If it helps, you can pretty much set it up so that no one sees anything at all about you, they can't contact you directly, can't get your email address and almost no one can search for you.... So, you can be almost invisible on FB, but it would let you join in on the group discussions. 

I'd really like to join, but really don't want to join FB.  Kinda stuck really! :(

I was in a similar position a couple of years ago. I was taking part in an art festival and the festival organisers posted all the info and updates on FB, rather than doing emails etc., Despite my lack of enthusiasm for FB, I joined so that I could get the festival details. I don't do the 'friends' bit, but I am using it more now for another web presence. I still resent having had to join it in the first place, as the festival organisers were not prepared to communicate individually to participants.

If it helps, you can pretty much set it up so that no one sees anything at all about you, they can't contact you directly, can't get your email address and almost no one can search for you.... So, you can be almost invisible on FB, but it would let you join in on the group discussions. 

That's the way I've done it.

Although I might have to talk to my wife if she ever finds out  :)

That's the way I've done it.

Although I might have to talk to my wife if she ever finds out  :)

Quite a few others seem to have done that.

BTW - the next person to join will be member 100.

Joined FB. Cannot understand how to work it though???????

Way beyond me. Very confusing interface.

Allan

Apologies if this is over-simplified or if you have already managed this.

If you type in professional stock photographers into the search box on the top left of the screen, you will get a drop down list. Choose the group and then when the group appears on screen, there is a button on the banner heading that says 'join now'.  Click that - you won't see anything at that stage as you are now in the behind the scenes approval process.

Click on 'home' on the top of the screen and you should get a load of items appearing down the left hand side. Once you've been approved, the group will be listed here. Click on the group when it shows up and that will take you to the group discussion. 

It's a bit hard to follow on facebook, but if you should get a little red notification on the top right of your screen when people add to discussions and I use that to navigate to new posts.

Allan

I'm afraid I have to agree with Allan.

Facebook looks like a mess (when you're not used to it) compared to discussion platforms - like the forum here - where you find a "structure". I appreciate the effort though  ;) 

Cheers,

Philippe

Be not afraid Phillipe. :)

Allan

Allan

Apologies if this is over-simplified or if you have already managed this.

If you type in professional stock photographers into the search box on the top left of the screen, you will get a drop down list. Choose the group and then when the group appears on screen, there is a button on the banner heading that says 'join now'.  Click that - you won't see anything at that stage as you are now in the behind the scenes approval process.

Click on 'home' on the top of the screen and you should get a load of items appearing down the left hand side. Once you've been approved, the group will be listed here. Click on the group when it shows up and that will take you to the group discussion. 

It's a bit hard to follow on facebook, but if you should get a little red notification on the top right of your screen when people add to discussions and I use that to navigate to new posts.

Many thanks for the easy to understand tutorial. :)

Allan

Archived