Anyone have FTP upload service yet?

Well I have just received an email saying the FTP service has been launched.  I have looked at my account and it's not available for me.  Why did they bother emailing me if I can't use it?

Pearl

I now have the FTP upload facility but as my connection and small batch upload technique is fast enough I do not think I will use or need it.

But just to be clear Alamy are suggesting five FTP clients. FileZilla (free), FirefTP (requires Firefox to be downloaded as well), WinSCP (Windows only - I am on OSX), Cyberduck (£17 from App Store) and ClassicFTP (purchase but freeware available).

Out of those mentioned I would be looking at FileZilla or ClassicFTP free software.

Question which FTP client for Apple computers do others use and why?

Allan

Not yet on FTP with Alamy…But am with others and have used Filezilla for about 5 years, on an iMAC.

Works easily, with regular updates, never had a problem so never looked elsewhere ;)

Phil

Thanks Phil. Appreciate your prompt reply.

allan

Well I have just received an email saying the FTP service has been launched.  I have looked at my account and it's not available for me.  Why did they bother emailing me if I can't use it?

Pearl

That is odd Pearl. I clicked on the up load button as soon as I saw the email and there it was at the bottom under stock upload and news upload.

Allan

Well we have Walker without FTP, Yarvin with, Bell with, Crean without, Dunn without.... which end of the alphabet are they starting from?

'D' for Davis with. Maybe they are starting from the middle and working out. 

Well we have Walker without FTP, Yarvin with, Bell with, Crean without, Dunn without.... which end of the alphabet are they starting from?

I'm smack in the middle of the herd, and I don't have it yet.

I'm smack in the middle of the herd, and I don't have it yet.

Something to do with date you joined Alamy. They could be working back from most recent joined. ;)

Or lucky dip. :P

Allan

I just got a notification this morning and I joined in 2002. I have had news upload FTP priveliges for a long time but I am not a frequent seller and I am  a less frequent uploader these days.

I joined in 2008 and had my notification this morning too.

Allan

I tried it when it was offered to me and had heaps of problems, getting constant "upload failed" and "Critical transfer error" messages. When I finally got a batch of 2 images to load, it showed that I'd loaded 8 images in my submissions area. I emailed MS to delete the batch, but, before they did, I got a fail (my first in 18 months) for camera shake. The images loaded are tack sharp and have been taken into other edited collections... I reckon there was a nasty glitch in the upload process which did something to the image/s. When I could open the batch to look, one image loaded twice, the other loaded 6 times. I use Filezilla, and never have a problem loading to other site, such as Age, which also has folders. I haven't been game enough to try using it again. And I hate seeing that bright red line on my submissions page........

Well I have the FTP upload service as of yesterday. Just LOVE (extreme sarcasm!) a new learning curve when I was perfectly happy to continue using the online uploader. Reloaded the exact same 12 images that never appeared after using the online uploader yesterday. And about 1/2 hour after sending them via FTP -- they showed up in the Track Submissions page.

Guess I have to wait and see what the result is, but heck, QC is really running s-l-o-w right now. And no one at Alamy seems to be answering any emails. I've gotten automated responses instead of note from actual living-breathing-humans for the last day.

Well I have the FTP upload service as of yesterday. Just LOVE (extreme sarcasm!) a new learning curve when I was perfectly happy to continue using the online uploader. Reloaded the exact same 12 images that never appeared after using the online uploader yesterday. And about 1/2 hour after sending them via FTP -- they showed up in the Track Submissions page.

Guess I have to wait and see what the result is, but heck, QC is really running s-l-o-w right now. And no one at Alamy seems to be answering any emails. I've gotten automated responses instead of note from actual living-breathing-humans for the last day.

With everything else that is going on judging by other threads they seem to be having major problems at the moment.

Allan

I just got a notification this morning and I joined in 2002. I have had news upload FTP priveliges for a long time but I am not a frequent seller and I am a less frequent uploader these days.

My mistake, it is for an account I created a couple of years and have never used. I have not even sent the test images for it.

My 2002 account still does not seem to have it.

I just got a notification this morning and I joined in 2002. I have had news upload FTP priveliges for a long time but I am not a frequent seller and I am a less frequent uploader these days.

My mistake, it is for an account I created a couple of years and have never used. I have not even sent the test images for it.

My 2002 account still does not seem to have it.

Ditto.  I have FTP for my second account which I hardly ever use but not for my main account which I upload to most days.  Not that I'm too fussed as the web upload is ultra fast for me but it does seem illogical.

Pearl

Tried to use FTP this morning for the first time and it only half-loaded one image before shutting down. Didn't seem that much quicker than my slowish connection here either. Went back to the old way and worked fine. Never had a problem with my web site FTP in 25 years but of course the files are much smaller. 

Tried to use FTP this morning for the first time and it only half-loaded one image before shutting down. Didn't seem that much quicker than my slowish connection here either. Went back to the old way and worked fine. Never had a problem with my web site FTP in 25 years but of course the files are much smaller. 

Possibly something to do with alamy working on their system at the moment?

Allan

Archived