Anyone have FTP upload service yet?

Awhile back Alamy mentioned that we all would eventually have ftp upload choice and that they had begun to phase it in. Still not available for me. I was wondering if anyone of you guys have that as a choice now when you click on your upload button in My Alamy.

Jill

I was wondering if anyone of you guys have that as a choice now when you click on your upload button in My Alamy.

Jill

I've had the news upload since the beginning and have never noticed any indication on the My Alamy page. Presuming the new ftp upload works the same way as the news upload, you'll need an ftp client to connect and upload images.

fD

Pearl:

I seem to be spokesperson for the fuss. FTP is a real improvement for the very many Alamy photographers who are uploading from connections that are substandard in one way or another. Some of us are lucky enough not to need it, others will find it very useful.

I hope this helps.

Pearl:

I seem to be spokesperson for the fuss. FTP is a real improvement for the very many Alamy photographers who are uploading from connections that are substandard in one way or another. Some of us are lucky enough not to need it, others will find it very useful.

I hope this helps.

Thanks Brian, perhaps I'm just lucky then.  I used FTP upload for submitting to another agency and much prefer the existing Alamy one.  I hope they don't replace it entirely so we still have a choice.

Pearl

My connection isn't all that speedy, so I'm looking forward to FTP-ing images to Alamy. I've found FTP to be faster and more reliable than Web uploading. Also, it will be great to have the option of FTP-ing directly from my PhotoShelter website.  A big improvement IMO.  I doubt very much that the existing uploader will disappear.

how do you know if you have it or not?

When you click the upload button you'll get a number of options one of which is FTP upload. If you click on that it will give you information on how to set up your FTP client and which folders to upload to etc.

I'm not sure it's going to be of great use to me at the moment. I have used FTP for another agency/library. The current Alamy upload is more straightforward as far as I'm concerned but then I don't upload huge numbers of images.

• 1 month later...

I now have the FTP upload facility but as my connection and small batch upload technique is fast enough I do not think I will use or need it.

But just to be clear Alamy are suggesting five FTP clients. FileZilla (free), FirefTP (requires Firefox to be downloaded as well), WinSCP (Windows only - I am on OSX), Cyberduck (£17 from App Store) and ClassicFTP (purchase but freeware available).

Out of those mentioned I would be looking at FileZilla or ClassicFTP free software.

Question which FTP client for Apple computers do others use and why?

Allan

I now have the FTP upload facility but as my connection and small batch upload technique is fast enough I do not think I will use or need it.

But just to be clear Alamy are suggesting five FTP clients. FileZilla (free), FirefTP (requires Firefox to be downloaded as well), WinSCP (Windows only - I am on OSX), Cyberduck (£17 from App Store) and ClassicFTP (purchase but freeware available).

Out of those mentioned I would be looking at FileZilla or ClassicFTP free software.

Question which FTP client for Apple computers do others use and why?

Allan

Not yet on FTP with Alamy…But am with others and have used Filezilla for about 5 years, on an iMAC.

Works easily, with regular updates, never had a problem so never looked elsewhere ;)

Phil

Archived