Paul,

I currently use both a Canon 5DIII and a Nikon D800 - with older Canon 1DSII and Nikon D3 bodies as backup. Having started in digital with a D1 back in 1999, I only bought back into the Nikon system when the 14-24mm lens came out, and I was willing to spend almost £4000 on a body just to be able to use that (the D700 was still a year away from release). Admittedly, I was shooting a lot of interiors on commission at the time, but it's such a superb lens that I upgraded to the D800 even though I was no longer doing that work. Despite this expenditure, I estimate that I probably now use the 5DIII for 90% of my work. I shoot all types of material from landscapes and architecture to night shots and dimly lit interiors and I almost never use a tripod. In low light, I'll use an ISO of up to 6400 on both bodies and I've never had a problem getting rid of noise on either. Although I bracket everything,  I'm often able to use just one frame for both shadows and highlights when shooting high contrast street scenes on the Canon.

I'll still keep the Nikon because of the 14-24 lens but otherwise would honestly say that I prefer the Canon. I also still use the old 24-70L on the 5DIII, having returned the MKII lens when testing showed it just wasn't a big enough improvement to justify the cost.

If I were you, I'd stick with the tools you've got and just try and improve on technique and post processing - it'll save you a lot of money and heartache!

Ian D

I must be doing something wrong. I struggle with noise on my Canon 5dII on most about ISO 1200 and up (have in fact never tried ISO 6400). Would also like more dynamics. I have followed the discussion here, but, like Paul, I am not prepared to take the loss of changing  as I have a collection of L-lenses - and don't want to leave my comfort zone. So, I will also take your advice in the last line - especially if I could reach the level of satisfying noise at  ISO 6400.

Edited by Niels Quist

Niels,

I'm talking about the 5DIII (3), you seem to have the 5DII (2), which I believe was very bad for noise.

Ian D

Niels,

I'm talking about the 5DIII (3), you seem to have the 5DII (2), which I believe was very bad for noise.

Ian D

Okay. Yes, I initially saw that, but I may have transferred your good results to your backup camera... Wishful thinking... Thanks...

Doesn't help that you can't get a D800E for toffee today lol. A few on Fixation right enough but there's quite a number of 5D3's on the sites. Speaks volumes really. 

One thing I've noticed about Canon is that their Digital Photo Professional does much better conversions of their raw files than anyone else, especially when it comes to shadow noise. DPP isn't as easy to use though, which is why I've settled on a jpeg profile adjusted to my liking, which deals with the shadow noise just as well. I only shoot raw if there is a good reason too, since most of the time what I end up with from a jpeg isn't much different from what I end up with from a raw.

With the 5DIII, which I used to have until I realized it was overkill for almost everything, it's not so much the shadow noise as the fact that it's pattern noise, really ugly banding. Interestingly, Canon appears to have dealt with this in the 70D I'm currently using (easier to lug around), which has no shadow banding. I've heard the same is true for the 7DII as well.

Unless your current Canon or Nikon is regularly producing sub-standard images why throw away hard earned cash on another piece of equipment that will soon become yesterdays technology, then off one goes again for the next bit of kit that that may be in some way 2% better.

I am sure that some people read the technical discussions on camera gear and ask themselves why photographers always seem to want the next best piece of gear at the risk of losing money ( me included ) i have shelved out plenty over the years and to be honest by doing so has not put me in a position where i get more for my images.

My best selling image in recent times for €900 came from a Canon G9  from 5 years ago, all my wonderful expensive pro gear of many thousands of euros has not come close.

Paul.

Edited by Paul Mayall
  • Upvote 1

I rather subscribe to this view of the world - http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/lens-sharpness.htm

I have never, in 40+ years of photography, had a photograph be a failure because of a serious camera or lens not being good enough. I have had plenty fail because the photographer's technique was not up to scratch :(

Doesn't stop me wanting new kit but I am now taking  a much more hard nosed approach - will it earn its keep by producing more income than it costs? If not, I don't buy it - mind you, on that basis I should probably sell all my kit :(

Edited by Martin P Wilson

Thanks for the Link Martin!

Quote (  will it earn its keep by producing more income than it costs? If not, I don't buy it - mind you, on that basis I should probably sell all my kit )  if we phototogs sold of our gear on that basis the industry would collapse,  now there is a thought.

Paul.