How was your February 2015?

No sales for me since joining Oct 2014 so at least February was consistent! Getting views through but only 3 zooms since joining but still relatively small collection compared to many so perhaps too early (at least that's what I try to tell myself). Continue to build up stock this year and hopefully see something feed through. Fingers crossed (still).

First image of the year licensed at $250.  Good price for the license these days.  That means my first payout in 2015 will be (if the stars align as they should) in June or July....a daunting prospect from a business perspective.

Zero sales here too.

I decided to improve the keywording of many of the images in my collection this month though, and having done this last year also I noticed that the CTR, zooms and sales all hit zero. Maybe all these images all get sent to the bottom of the results? Who knows.

I really genuinely don't understand this?  just a handful of people reporting earnings over 1K and some will have it, that this is good??  either we have been so clobbered by the micros and just come to accept it or we don't care anymore.

I know Alamy is trying its best but after 26 years in the stock business and worked with dozens of searches, algorithms, etc its easy to see, Alamy must do something about the search-engine, in fact the whole thing. At the moment the search is producing everything and yet nothing. The constant mixture of creative/editorial don't help either.

Orson Wells famous sentence comes to mind. Start strong, ease off in the middle and finish strong. That way the interest is kept alive.

One sale for $36 gross.

A query: do others in this monthly thread report sales as soon as  they arrive or only when the payment actually clears? Having had a number of refunds or adjustments over the past three years, I am inclined to be conservative and only count a sale when the money is actually cleared. However, I suspect most people report each sale as soon as it arrives. 

I really genuinely don't understand this?  just a handful of people reporting earnings over 1K and some will have it, that this is good??  either we have been so clobbered by the micros and just come to accept it or we don't care anymore.

I know Alamy is trying its best but after 26 years in the stock business and worked with dozens of searches, algorithms, etc its easy to see, Alamy must do something about the search-engine, in fact the whole thing. At the moment the search is producing everything and yet nothing. The constant mixture of creative/editorial don't help either.

Orson Wells famous sentence comes to mind. Start strong, ease off in the middle and finish strong. That way the interest is kept alive.

Christian

I wouldn't take the figures posted here as indicative of what higher earning contributors are making. There are photographers who are grossing 6 figures from Alamy, but most of them rarely, if ever, participate in the forum. 

As far as the search engine and Alamy ranking goes, I believe it actually works very well - as it pushes to the top those photographers who are providing images that buyers are both looking at and purchasing. If you're not making sales here then perhaps it's time to look more closely at the market Alamy caters to - which, unfortunatley, isn't the commercial buyers.

Archived