Viewing RAWS on WD My Cloud

I have a 3TB WD Network Drive. It is great for storing all my images and of course is accessible from anywhere. The only trouble is I can't get a image icon for the RAW files like I can with the jpgs when accessing the drive from anywhere outside my own network.

Any of you know a way to install any kind of sofware or codec viewer on the drive so the RAWS become visible when accessing the drive via the cloud and not the network? It's the only down side to the network drive.

Jill

Linda, I love the drive. It has come in so handy for me, especially in my embroidery business when at a trade show and need to access a certain embroidery file that isn't on my computer. I have 50,000 embroidery designs, so its much better to be able to keep them on the network drive. And it means I can access them with my tablet and my phone as well. 

Quite often when away I will also want to access the images, but of course the RAWs don't tell me what the image is. I never change the file name on a RAW, but beginning to think I should. 

When at home I can access through the network instead of the cloud, and then I see icons for the RAW images. 

It's a great drive. My son has a 4TB to store his edited videos for customers so they can download them directly from the drive. Password protected files.

Jill

I always name my  RAW files of what it is and then the actual file number.The jpegs have the same name,just a jpeg extension. This is a no-brainer in Lightroom.

Good to know about the drive!

L

Jill, although I use Synology NAS drives myself, I'm pretty sure the problem is with your mobile device and not the WD drive. It'll be the app installed on these that's preventing you seeing the RAW thumbnails (which is what I think you mean - rather than icons, which simply indicate file type). I know it might seem obvious, but have you got the app set to display thumbnails rather than list view? If RAW isn't supported, it might be worth contacting the developer to ask for it to be implemented in the next release.

Ian D

Jill, although I use Synology NAS drives myself, I'm pretty sure the problem is with your mobile device and not the WD drive. It'll be the app installed on these that's preventing you seeing the RAW thumbnails (which is what I think you mean - rather than icons, which simply indicate file type). I know it might seem obvious, but have you got the app set to display thumbnails rather than list view? If RAW isn't supported, it might be worth contacting the developer to ask for it to be implemented in the next release.

Ian D

Yes, I display thumbs. And of course when looking at the drive on my own network, I see the RAW thumbs. But when I am away from home and I'm using the cloud access as opposed to the network access then only the jpgs show as thumbs.

Jill

Jill, I presume you're using the WD My Cloud app to view remotely? If so, the problem is definitely with that and I'm pretty certain there's nothing you can install on the drive itself to resolve the problem. However, I'm very surprised that the app doesn't support RAW files.

Ian D

Archived