Mass reverse image search

I would be very interested to hear if anyone has successfully won a court case against someone misusing one of their images and actually got paid out after being awarded costs/damages...

Some of us have them pending but now there is a small claims track infringers are tending to roll over and settle.

I would be very interested to hear if anyone has successfully won a court case against someone misusing one of their images and actually got paid out after being awarded costs/damages...

Some of us have them pending but now there is a small claims track infringers are tending to roll over and settle.

interesting to hear your having some success with this, i've been reading lots of cases where the court awards for costs and damages in particularly in the US where the defendant does not turn up (due to costs to get there) and the plantiff never gets paid anything, so was intersted to hear how people get on with their claims. Thanks

I was talking about England and Wales as I'd assumed that's where you are. The US is very different.

I haven't yet had to go to court except in one case and will be issuing shortly. That's because there are very few defences for infringement here- however much he complains even a so-called 'innocent' infringer is due to pay a licence fee.

If the defendant doesn't answer in court you get judgment by default.

The advantage of the new small claims track is that it's only heard in London and can be effected by post, so the defendant can't cause you expense by getting a transfer to his local court as he can with ordinary money claims.

One chap settled with me because he'd have had to come to London from Yorkshire just to quibble about the amount I was claiming, the infringement per se being admitted. The train fare would have been much more than the potential saving if he won.

There have been a few besides Sheldon v Daybrook.

Temple Island v New English Teas is an interesting one as it goes to the design elements of a photograph, not just straight copying.

Also Delves- Broughton v House of Harlot 2012 about whether a model could grant a publisher a licence for images taken for her portfolio (no, she couldn't), moral rights and objection to derogatory treatment -cropping and retouching in this case.

The smaller value cases probably won't come to court now because infringers can't get their costs back at small claims.

Thanks for the links and references, will be interesting to take a look at these, i also was not aware of this new small claims track in London (i am in the UK by the way), i must google this one! thanks

Spacecadet: 

Here you go

https://www.justice....nterprise-court

Do you have infringements then?

not yet, as far as i know :wacko: , i'm stil busy uploading and trying to get through my keywording of images, i'm relatively new to stock photography but have a long time interest in copyright law hence my question about how people get on with their cases as i'm very aware of the piracy issue, it's encouraging to hear the system is working. Thanks for that link.

Here's my workflow:

I keep a lightbox of all my zooms for a year and a lightbox for all my sales for a year.

From time to time I run this bookmarklet with those lightboxes: ?¿ src-img

If you're really quick, Google sometimes protests a bit.

wim

When I try this trick it doesn't seem to indicate which of my images it's found (even the ones that right click Google image search does find). I just get double question marks on all the images. If I click on these then it shows the Google image search results, but that seems to offer little benefit over simply right clicking the original and selecting Google image search.

Am I missing something? I'm running Google Chrome.

Here's my workflow:

I keep a lightbox of all my zooms for a year and a lightbox for all my sales for a year.

wim

When I try this trick it doesn't seem to indicate which of my images it's found (even the ones that right click Google image search does find). I just get double question marks on all the images. If I click on these then it shows the Google image search results, but that seems to offer little benefit over simply right clicking the original and selecting Google image search.

I found this github script quite useful apart from the obvious adverts that the script is bundled with but aside from this i thought it was good as saves you having to copy and paste each URL into googles image search. I presume from what you have said in your reply that CHROME browser has a right click google image search function? i was not aware of this, i thought these extra right click tools came as add-on's like ou get in firefox and not as standard.

Their are 2 kinds of google image search, a standard name search searching for the image name and then you have the reverse image search(which is what you want) which actually looks for copies of the same image regardless of image name and with this you have to manually enter in each URL or upload the images one by one but the script at github lets you navigate to the webpage eg. your alamy images page and puts question marks on them all and lets you click each one, saving time. If chrome has a reverse image search on the right click menu then i'll use chrome in future for this. interesting...

Here's my workflow:

wim

No it's just quicker.

For one image on a page I'll use either drag and drop or right click as well.

The *trick* is the lightbox.

wim

Yes, google alerts, you're right...and if your name is not an uncommon one, limiting results makes sense. Not too many "Michael Halberstadt"s or "SiliconValleyStock"s so I don't get many false positives. All good points though, thanks!

I presume your talking about Google Alerts, not sure if that is the same as google notifications?

<snip>

"my alamy username" -anyrubbish -morerubbishresults  -nonrelevant content  

-  -   -etc etc.. if this makes sense,<snip>

Here's my workflow:

wim

No it's just quicker.

For one image on a page I'll use either drag and drop or right click as well.

The *trick* is the lightbox.

wim

Ok good, thanks for confirming.

I just uploaded a batch of images to imagerights.com. They do an ongoing automatic usage search on all of them, although the results can a little while to complete.

Their free "basic account" lets you upload up to 1,000 images which they will then monitor for infringements.  So far as I can see payment starts when you want them to pursue the infringers.

See https://www.imagerights.com/discovery

This found a few infringements for me which I've now submitted into their claim review process, they will apparently let me know if a claim is worth pursuing. No fees paid so far.

Mark

• 3 years later...

Archived