Chicago tourist robbed of camera and IPhone.

I'm not going to get sucked into a gun control discussion but currently the only people with guns in Chicago are the criminals and cops…. and the cops are rarely around when you need them. This is all about to change as Illinois has finally passed a concealed carry law (restricted but better than nothing). If the criminal punks think that a potential victim MIGHT be armed, they're probably less likely to want to carry out their criminal act. Here in America our constitution gives us the right to own and carry firearms for protection…and what better a time to exercise that right than now.

You've already started a gun control discussion.

Our police are not armed. We need a good reason to own a firearm of any kind and a civilian may not own a handgun at all. Gun crime here is vanishingly rare. There is a causal relationship between these facts..

Perhaps we should leave it there.

Police Scanners use to be readily for sale in places like Radio Shack in the 80s. Back in the earlier days policemen had their radio device on their shoulder. When the police force retired those they were readily available on the resale market and would work by taking a rubber band and attaching them to the back of an AM/FM portable transistor radio.

L

Our police are not armed. We need a good reason to own a firearm of any kind and a civilian may not own a handgun at all. Gun crime here is vanishingly rare. There is a causal relationship between these facts..

No Mark…you started it and BTW what the heck is this suppose to mean "This is a british forum."? I thought Alamy was an international corporation with a longterm business scheme. As an Alamy contributor, have I not the right to express my opinion on an open forum? It's no wonder most contributors avoid this forum like the plaque.

Guest dlmphotog
This is a british forum.

I thought this was a forum for Alamy photographers worldwide?

David L. Moore

I'm not going to get sucked into a gun control discussion but currently the only people with guns in Chicago are the criminals and cops…. and the cops are rarely around when you need them. This is all about to change as Illinois has finally passed a concealed carry law (restricted but better than nothing). If the criminal punks think that a potential victim MIGHT be armed, they're probably less likely to want to carry out their criminal act. Here in America our constitution gives us the right to own and carry firearms for protection…and what better a time to exercise that right than now.

I have no room in my purse to carry a gun and it scares me to carry one.Yet at the same time,it scares me not to have one as I know what it's like to have a gun at your head when a thief wants your stuff.

In Chicago,it seems that many of these recent burglaries are thugs that travel in pairs and 3s. What would one do if surrounded and you had a gun and they took it from you?

L

No Mark…you started it and BTW what the heck is this suppose to mean "This is a british forum."? I thought Alamy was an international corporation with a longterm business scheme. As an Alamy contributor, have I not the right to express my opinion on an open forum? It's no wonder most contributors avoid this forum like the plaque.

Agreed.This is an international photo agency and international forum.

L

I don't think they do avoid it. Quite a few posts on this one.

I would have left it there but as you wish. Suggesting that you might attach yourself to a person carrying a concealed weapon sounds like the start of a gun control discussion to me.

Of course you have the right to contribute, so have I and no-one has suggested the contrary.

The reference was a reminder that Alamy is in law a British company and that opinions may be very different here, and maybe to counter the idea that the answer to gun crime is more guns. There are very few violent robberies here.

I think it's time to report this thread.

"The reference was a reminder that Alamy is in law a British company"

"This is a British forum" 

THERE YA GO!!!!!…This is a perfect example of the possible bias that I was discussing on Jeff Greenberg's thread regarding BHZ and the ranking of British photogs vs others. Another example that I thought of was that you never see any Alamy credits in the Chicago Tribune or the Chicago Sun Times. Mostly British newspapers aligned with the newspaper scheme…all local community based.

I'm outta here…I have better things to do with my time…like maybe taking more images and improving my ranking.

THERE YA GO!!!!!…This is a perfect example of the possible bias that I was discussing on Jeff Greenberg's thread regarding BHZ and the ranking of British photogs vs others.

Oh dear . . .

Perhaps Royston Vasey is the place to be . . . this is a local shop for local people, nothing for you here . . .

dd

Archived