So how was 2014 for you?

Sales numbers up a bit, revenue up by about the same proportion, this despite coming out of distribution the previous year.  I added slightly to my collection last year but removed a roughly equivalent number of images.  Considering I don't shoot specifically for stock, I'm very pleased.  

Happy New Year

Chris 

Oh, and a $60 sale this morning, so off to a flying start!

27% increase of images on sale, sales volume up 53%, sales revenue up 128%!!

2013: 3528 average no of images on sale, 41 sales for $1672.

2014: 4591 average no of images on sale, 77 sales for $3821.

John.

496 sales for $25,423 gross and average of 15680 images on sale.

Number of images on sale increased by 17% in the year

Number of sales increased by 9%

Gross income increased by 6%

Interestingly, the second half of this year was much better than the first half. I have been selling through Alamy for 10 years now and my best 4 months ever have all been in the second half of this year, so hopefully signs are good for 2015!

About 275 images on sale via Stockimo but no sales yet

Kumar

Year 2014 - in with 2380 images, end year out with 3290 images.

Revenue - more than doubled from recent years (no biggies either)

Average of 5 licences a month.

Year 2015 - average: 1 licence every one and a half days, so far !

Happy new year.

Phil

185 for 10140

$ down 3%

wim

Your stats are always incredibly impressive Wim. I tend to shoot what's in front of me, a kind of scatter-gun approach, and hope for the best. I added about 800 images last year with a conscious effort to include more with people in them. I'm not sure that worked out as hoped. Still I managed my first year with at least one sale in every month which although pleasing is still some way short of what I was aiming for. To sum up, a mixture of satisfaction and disappointment but a definite base to work from and improve. I'll be watching your portfolio closely Wim ;) 

20 sales for just under $1K gross.

First full year selling here, so difficult to make comparisons, and my sales volume is still extremely low, but the average gross/image was only about 70% of what I received in 2013.  Owing to a few naff distributor sales, the net was even worse.

Will have to have a think about the images I take, what I choose to upload here, how that sells, and to whom.

News has been a total waste of time for me, so unless it's weather-related or a pretty sunrise/sunset, I don't think I'll bother - all they do is clog up my psuedo. A clear-out is in order, methinks.

To end on a positive note, December was (just) my BME for Gross and Net and also matched my BME for sales volume. The trend-line is rising at least. And sales do seem to be coming every month now.

I sold one image in 2014 when I only had 12 images on sale.  That was my one and only sale on Alamy but shortly after the sale I started to add images, about 50 or so.  So, my sales were up 100% over the previous year and so was my revenue.  :D

I darn sure better be able to declare the same percentage increases this time next year!!

185 for 10140

$ down 3%

wim

Your stats are always incredibly impressive Wim. I tend to shoot what's in front of me, a kind of scatter-gun approach, and hope for the best. I added about 800 images last year with a conscious effort to include more with people in them. I'm not sure that worked out as hoped. Still I managed my first year with at least one sale in every month which although pleasing is still some way short of what I was aiming for. To sum up, a mixture of satisfaction and disappointment but a definite base to work from and improve. I'll be watching your portfolio closely Wim ;)

Thank you! Usually I shoot what's in front of me too ;-)

Congratulations with your results! One sale a month for the first year is better than how I did: 1st yr - 6 sales; 2nd - 8 sales; 3rd - 26. So you'll be outselling me in no time!

And I don't think of my self as scatter-gunning, but occasionally I do have 1500 images on a card for 1 day. I just don't put them all up.

As for the ones that sell: I totally understand all of those; it's the ones that don't sell I don't get why not.

So will it help, looking at my portfolio? Not sure. I do have a growing collection that's called deleted though. Some other contributors have one too: now that may be interesting stuff to look at.

wim

Roughly the same as last year for me on alamy:

With under 4,000 images on sale here I made 116 sales my cut is about £3000. (£ sterling)

Which makes me about .75p per image.

Nothing great, but £250 per month for doing almost nothing is ok.

However, I have images elsewhere which made me £7.75 per image.

Thats why I have only uploaded a handful of images here over the last couple of years, and put my energy into where it makes money.

Bit sad really, I've been with alamy for 10 years it's not their fault, but it's got to the point where shooting for general stock is just no longer worth the meagre rewards.

Tony

185 for 10140

$ down 3%

wim

Congratulations with your results! One sale a month for the first year is better than how I did: 1st yr - 6 sales; 2nd - 8 sales; 3rd - 26. So you'll be outselling me in no time!

And I don't think of my self as scatter-gunning, but occasionally I do have 1500 images on a card for 1 day. I just don't put them all up.

As for the ones that sell: I totally understand all of those; it's the ones that don't sell I don't get why not.

So will it help, looking at my portfolio? Not sure. I do have a growing collection that's called deleted though. Some other contributors have one too: now that may be interesting stuff to look at.

wim

You misunderstood Wim. My first two years amassed 12 (year 1) and 26 (year 2). Last years 32 showed only a small increase but had at least one license each month. A month or two back I started another pseudo for images placed on death row, low and behold one licensed.  :huh: Not sure now whether to delete the nice ones or the mundane.  :lol:  I admit to looking at many a successful portfolio to see if I can suss out this strange game. I hope to get it right some day, but sooner or later I can't say. Keep up the good work though Wim, you're inspirational.  :wub:  :D

It's not Alamy's fault, but the market for traditional, non-news, non-commercial general stock is broken. And until, and unless photographers stop supplying, nobody is going to fix that.

Fact.

Well I, for one, will be supplying much less of it in 2015. I am going in completely different direction - a more. self assigned, journalistic projects. May not be profitable (but won't be worse than my general stock :( ) but will be much more interesting and personally satisfying. I have a new web site almost ready for when the work starts flowing and it all starts with a meeting on Monday to arrange access. I will share more when it is properly underway.

185 for 10140

$ down 3%

wim

wim

You misunderstood Wim. My first two years amassed 12 (year 1) and 26 (year 2). Last years 32 showed only a small increase but had at least one license each month. A month or two back I started another pseudo for images placed on death row, low and behold one licensed.  :huh: Not sure now whether to delete the nice ones or the mundane.  :lol:  I admit to looking at many a successful portfolio to see if I can suss out this strange game. I hope to get it right some day, but sooner or later I can't say. Keep up the good work though Wim, you're inspirational.  :wub:  :D

Oops! Too quick on the draw. Another one of many a photographer's bad habits ;-)

And the year has only just begun. How to get back on topic? (Another bad habit there.)

First part of the recipe:

2013 was a good year because the economy picked up. And for me because I had started editing my collection a half year before that. Often here we can read: my goal is to achieve 2000; 3000; 5000; 10000 at the end of the year. Well I try to bin at least 10% a year. Maybe even 20%.

Second part:

When I pick an image to work on and put it on line, I now go to All of Alamy and check all the possible searches. Both for the sort of images clients may want and what the search results look like on the page where the image will land. Actually having an image beyond page 1 of a search is mostly useless, so I look for the approach that will get me on page 1. It's not image quality. That can make an image stand out on a page, but won't get it to page 1. That will be subject matter in relation to your rank. Low rank: forget London. High rank: only supply London if the image is superb.

Low rank? There have been 5400 searches for London something with 1 page or less of results.

High rank is page 1. Everything else is low rank. I'm on page 14 for London : Low Rank.

I have high rank for London Skyline (99 searches), but the image is too quirky and sells only occasionally. That should teach me to have a generic skyline as well, or it will mainly hurt my rank 98 out of those 99 times.

Look at London Tate Modern; the quirky ones seldom sell. (Google Images: keyword Alamy)

The last part of the recipe:

Shoot that local landmark; courthouse; city hall and hospital, but use Photographer's Ephemeris plus a 2 weeks weather forecast and hour to hour forecast. That's for your perfect one; now shoot a generic bland one and a quirky one. Throw away the rest.

Rinse and repeat for every subject.

Nothing to it.

wim

Why was my 2014 3% less than 2013? Maybe I got lazy or my collection grew too big or some or all goal posts moved and I was not quick enough on the draw there.

Second part:

When I pick an image to work on and put it on line, I now go to All of Alamy and check all the possible searches. Both for the sort of images clients may want and what the search results look like on the page where the image will land. Actually having an image beyond page 1 of a search is mostly useless, so I look for the approach that will get me on page 1. It's not image quality. That can make an image stand out on a page, but won't get it to page 1. That will be subject matter in relation to your rank. Low rank: forget London. High rank: only supply London if the image is superb.

Low rank? There have been 5400 searches for London something with 1 page or less of results.

High rank is page 1. Everything else is low rank. I'm on page 14 for London : Low Rank.

I have high rank for London Skyline (99 searches), but the image is too quirky and sells only occasionally. That should teach me to have a generic skyline as well, or it will mainly hurt my rank 98 out of those 99 times.

Look at London Tate Modern; the quirky ones seldom sell. (Google Images: keyword Alamy)

Shoot that local landmark; courthouse; city hall and hospital, but use Photographer's Ephemeris plus a 2 weeks weather forecast and hour to hour forecast. That's for your perfect one; now shoot a generic bland one and a quirky one. Throw away the rest.

Nothing to it.

wim

Why was my 2014 3% less than 2013? Maybe I got lazy or my collection grew too big or some or all goal posts moved and I was not quick enough on the draw there.

Thank you wim for you very helpful insights.  Very helpful information.

Rick

185 for 10140

$ down 3%

wim

wim

Oops! Too quick on the draw. Another one of many a photographer's bad habits ;-)

And the year has only just begun. How to get back on topic? (Another bad habit there.)

First part of the recipe:

2013 was a good year because the economy picked up. And for me because I had started editing my collection a half year before that. Often here we can read: my goal is to achieve 2000; 3000; 5000; 10000 at the end of the year. Well I try to bin at least 10% a year. Maybe even 20%.

Second part:

Nothing to it.

wim

Interesting and informative Wim. You've shown that research is equally important as the image. Thanks for that. What criteria do you apply for to select an image that's not performing? Without stating the obvious, would you ever delete an image that had sold in the past for instance?

Interesting and informative Wim. You've shown that research is equally important as the image. Thanks for that. What criteria do you apply for to select an image that's not performing? Without stating the obvious, would you ever delete an image that had sold in the past for instance?

Thank you!

Yes if I have a better version.  Or I have never liked the image and the sale was long ago and low. If we want to discuss this in depth we may want to move this to another thread (maybe with pix).

wim

Although not nearly as disciplined and thoroughly as Wim, I too keep 'pruning' my main pseudo as I add images. I never delete images though, I just move them to lower ranked pseudos.

The numbers I posted earlier were for my total collection:

Number of images +33%

Number of sales +127%

Revenue +58%

Edit: Average license fee -31%

Looking at only my main pseudo the numbers are:

Number of images +7% (but major pruning of about -25% done in December)

Number of sales +100%

Revenue +76%

about 7%  revenue increase from 2013 (which was poorest year in 12 years with alamy.)

So my dire 2013 (and not much better 2014) was not untypical in 12 year Alamy history. I am not sure it makes me feel any better tho' :(

A misery shared and all that ...

Archived