Alamy requires all pictures (except news pictures" to be minimum 17 MB.

I have a challenge with this demand. I have a Canon 5D, mark II, which takes excellent pictures. However, and please correct me if I am wrong, Alamy requires all pictures (except news pictures" to be minimum 17 MB large in JPEG format.

A few month ago I was in Kiev, and took around 35 nice pictures of the caos around the Maimane square and the burned out presidents palace. Many of them was ok as shot but some of them needed some cropping.

However, the largest one were only 15 MB large, and hence Alamy will (if I understand it correct) reject it.

My camera is in the reccomended list, and I normally only shoot with f2,8 lenses. Have I misunderstood something here? If not, I feel Alamy and their customers will be missing out on a lot of very nice pictures.

Looking forward to any comments from more experieced Alamy users.

Regards

Bjørn

Bjorn means that the cropped images are too small a file size, hence, not acceptable. I have cropped images for impact and they would fail qc on size but I would consider them far more saleable than the full picture. I'm on my phone at the moment but I think my crops were about 2 megs compressed and nowhere near 17megs uncompressed.

Edited by mickfly

I'm not sure that he does mean that Mick.

Bjorn specifically talks about a minimum of 17MB in JPEG format, i.e. compressed.

Bjorn, this causes continual confusion with new contributors, but Mark is correct. You can crop your photos significantly before file size becomes a problem. The 17MB limit is uncompressed, not JPEG.

Bjorn means that the cropped images are too small a file size, hence, not acceptable. I have cropped images for impact and they would fail qc on size but I would consider them far more saleable than the full picture.

I'm not sure that he does mean that?  As he has yet to upload anything here, I believe that it's the old confusion about file sizes that has been replayed here a million times.

Bjorn, a straight, uncropped file converted from your 5D mk II will give an approximate file size of 60Mb.  Your crop would have to be less than one third of the original image size in order to fail QC on that basis alone.

If he does mean his cropped versions are too small it would tie in with my example.

My actual full frame pic from a 5D was a 7.84MB Jpeg and 60.1MB uncompressed Tiff.

When cropped it becomes a 1.89MB Jpeg and a 14.05MB Tiff, both sizes unacceptable for Alamy stock.

I have a challenge with this demand. I have a Canon 5D, mark II, which takes excellent pictures. However, and please correct me if I am wrong, Alamy requires all pictures (except news pictures" to be minimum 17 MB large in JPEG format.

The problem is that Bjorn confuses Jpeg with Tiff.

Cheers,

Philippe

Maybe he'll return and make things clearer, It may well be me reading a different meaning into his post (it wouldn't be the first time).

Cheers,

Philippe

Or RAW. I rarely use tiffs, just work with the RAW images.

Jill

Basically you convert and look at a 8 bit tiff. Make your crop. Look at the file size. If it is 17 MB or more in 8 bit, save to JPEG. It will pass on size. If you are looking at a 16 bit tiff, it needs to be 34MB or larger.

Betty

• Like 2

Cheers,

Philippe

Bjorn redemption?

Allan

PS: A Happy New Year to all. :)  B)

Allan

I use Elements 12 for software (as well as Lightroom.)

I have an image of a crane fly with a totally white background which, when saved on setting 12 (Maximum) in Elements 12 - shows a file size of 1.1M

However to see the real file size, go to "Image" - "Resize" - "Image size" and a dialogue box pops up. Now don't change the size whatsoever, but take a look at the top, inside the dialogue box, where it states "Pixel dimensions".

When I do this with my 1.1M close up image but with a large white BG the actual file size shows up as 34.7M

That is then size that Alamy is talking about.

Cheers,

Philippe

Jill

I think that you need to be careful with RAW files. They can be compressed, depending on the RAW format. Also, your processed images can't be RAW, so you can't work out if a cropped image is big enough.

(sorry if grandmother and eggs)

Best wishes,

Mike

Edited by TokyoM1ke

Cheers,

Philippe

Jill

I think that you need to be careful with RAW files. They can be compressed, depending on the RAW format. Also, your processed images can't be RAW, so you can't work out if a cropped image is big enough.

Best wishes,

Mike

I do my PP in ACR then put into PS as Smart Object. Save as a jpg from there. In PS you can see your uncompressed file size in the bottom left corner of the page, So I always know the size of my crops.

Jill

I think it depends on what Software Bjorn uses, I use PS, and it never gives problem of sizing. Open your file normally in Ps, then click Image on the Menu bar, an Image Size pop up will show, click Image size, change the cm by the image size area to inches and it will show you the exact dimension that will determine whether your image will be rejected on size or not.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Philippe

Jill

Best wishes,

Mike

I do my PP in ACR then put into PS as Smart Object. Save as a jpg from there. In PS you can see your uncompressed file size in the bottom left corner of the page, So I always know the size of my crops.

Jill

Yes, totally agree with you. Sorry if talking at cross purposes. My only point was, as Ayodele said, that it depends on the software you are editing with (i.e. you can see uncompressed size in Photoshop), rather than the file type you are working from.  On that front, I really do think that Alamy needs to do something to make this clearer for the less technical (IT not camera) people around.  Maybe find and recommend free PC and Apple applications that would do an instant check on files before upload?  At least that would be a simple mechanical process that would save this thread turning up every month or two.

Alamy are pretty clear on the requirements for minimum file sizes, namely that the image needs to have 6 megapixels. If you are in doubt about whether the image is large enough, forget about file sizes and what the software says (which only seems to add confusion). Multiply the width of the image in pixels by the height of the image in pixels. If the number you get is equal to or more than 6,000,000 then it's big enough! In Windows Looking at file properties will tell you the dimensions in pixels, I'm sure there's something similar on a Mac.

It's also not too difficult to work out the minimum pixel sizes for some common photo ratios, e.g. 3000 x 2000, 2450 x 2450

• Like 2

Cheers,

Philippe

Jill

Best wishes,

Mike

Jill

Yes, totally agree with you. Sorry if talking at cross purposes. My only point was, as Ayodele said, that it depends on the software you are editing with (i.e. you can see uncompressed size in Photoshop), rather than the file type you are working from.  On that front, I really do think that Alamy needs to do something to make this clearer for the less technical (IT not camera) people around.  Maybe find and recommend free PC and Apple applications that would do an instant check on files before upload?  At least that would be a simple mechanical process that would save this thread turning up every month or two.

There is already the Alamy Sizecheck standalone software available.  http://www.braeside.plus.com/photography/alamy/alamy.html

Edited by mickfly
  • Like 1

Cheers,

Philippe

Jill

Best wishes,

Mike

Jill

There is already the Alamy Sizecheck standalone software available.  http://www.braeside.plus.com/photography/alamy/alamy.html

Brilliant - I didn't know about that. Should really be the first response to all of these threads.  Maybe Alamy could put a sticky one up?

• 6 months later...

Hi Friends,

I am shooting CR2 in 5D mark II and processing it in canon digital professional the maximum file size I am getting is 12-13 MB (uncompressed).

Is there any other software (for processing)where I can get 17-18 MB JPEG for alamy.

• 6 months later...

Hi I have a Canon EOS REBEL SL1

And no matter how many RAW photos I take is always no more than 3MB. 

I saw that my photos have 72 dpi. But I don't know if is enough to upload to Alamy, or even how to find the "super secret real" uncompressed size. 

Please some help from great experienced photographers to a starters like me, please remember you were a starter once . 

Thanks, 

Hi I have a Canon EOS REBEL SL1

And no matter how many RAW photos I take is always no more than 3MB. 

I saw that my photos have 72 dpi. But I don't know if is enough to upload to Alamy, or even how to find the "super secret real" uncompressed size. 

Please some help from great experienced photographers to a starters like me, please remember you were a starter once . 

Thanks, 

The SL1 is an 18 MP camera, so RAW files should be around 51MB.  If you are shooting JPG, check you have the settings for the highest quality JPGs. They can vary between 3-20 MB depending on the detail in the image you are taking.

Jill

Jill

Where's that Alamy sticky forum posting on image and file size gone?

I don't think there are stickies here.

There's a theory that not explaining it helps weeding out and discouraging noobs.

wim

edit: typo

Edited by wiskerke
  • Like 2