Focus Rail Sliders

I would like to experiment a bit with macro photography, which is new territory for me. I bought a set of cheap extension tubes that I'm using with a vintage manual focus lens on one of my Sony NEX cameras. However, I'm finding that it is virtually impossible to accurately focus when using a tripod because I have to move the camera back and forth (focusing the lens is useless) at close quarters. I'm thinking of ordering an inexpensive focus rail slider like this one. Does anyone have experience with these gizmos? Do they actually work? Thanks.

P.S. I doubt that macro photography will become a passion, so I don't want to invest a lot of cash on equipment that I probably will hardly ever use.

When I was doing a fair amount of macro I used a geared Manfrotto focus rack. I dug it out recently in preparation to doing more again this winter. So yes they do work for fine tuning focus at least.

Thanks, fine-tuning is what I need. Guess I haven't got much to lose given the price.

When I was doing a fair amount of macro I used a geared Manfrotto focus rack. I dug it out recently in preparation to doing more again this winter. So yes they do work for fine tuning focus at least.

Thanks, fine-tuning is what I need. Guess I haven't got much to lose given the price.

On the price absolutely - I paid several times that 10 years or so ago!

The quality of your equipment is no doubt much better. Mind you, I've been surprised by the quality of some of the Chinese stuff that I've ordered online. The extension tubes that I bought cost less than $10 and are surprisingly well made. The online sellers have been very efficient as well.

The quality of your equipment is no doubt much better. Mind you, I've been surprised by the quality of some of the Chinese stuff that I've ordered online. The extension tubes that I bought cost less than $10 and are surprisingly well made. The online sellers have been very efficient as well.

I wouldn't bet on it. With computer controlled machining there is no reason why the cheap one should not be similar quality these days. I have been surprised by the quality of similar items from China..

I use one of these ALL the time - permanently fixed to my tripod.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/201168598419?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108

though I don't remember paying that much for it. The fine focus is great but also the much bigger slide helps you avoid having to move the tripod or subject every time you want to zoom in or out.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/201168598419?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108

though I don't remember paying that much for it. The fine focus is great but also the much bigger slide helps you avoid having to move the tripod or subject every time you want to zoom in or out.

Thanks. That looks like a fancier version of what I had in mind. Think I'll order the Chinese cheapie for starters and see how it goes.

The purists will no doubt wince, but for the hard up and pragmatic, an old macro zoom with or without extension tubes provides a solution fit for (Alamy) purpose.

For example a  Pentax A 35-70 mm f4 zoom, which I suspect are now cheap enough to be given away with packets of cornflakes.

Close-up-of-mature-sweet-pea-Lathyrus-od

I had a decent MF macro zoom and of course sold it. :mellow:

That's what I have and the price is much as I would have expected. Mind you they should pretty well last for ever.

If you have an Arca Swiss compatible head, then an extral long quick release plate could be used to simillar effect, still it's a pain sliding back and forth, refoucsing and then moving the tripod back and forth becuase you want to change distance, thats why nikon produced the Micro Nikkor 70-180 a unique zoom which allows you to change macro image size without having to move your tripod or slider back and forth, and no need to refocus either as the image remains in focus.

in my sack of odd gadgets from past projects is a nice cheap little geared rail which gave an effective adjustment of about three inches. It has a fairly big knob which lets you rack the camera back and forth and a small one for locking. Some of the simple rails seem to look quite solid and a bit longer, but pushing & pulling with fingers seems a bit crude.

I just dug mine out. It has a  base plate which screws to the tripod, a pair of round rails moved by the screw and a seven inch solid top section to which you attach the camera.

Says:  B.P.M. PRODUCT MADE IN ENGLAND on one of the rails.  nice hefty unit, but definitely not current! Somewhere there is a smaller one which I was thinking of first.

how did I ever accumulate ALL THIS STUFF?! 

I have a slider rail but I never use it because it gets in the way, slows me down, and is just another thing to carry.

I took this image by hand holding a 100mm macro at F11 ISO 400 on a Canon 5D. Multiple exposures from foreground to far edge of the head. Only focus on the foreground for the first exposure. Do not refocus the lens, just rock forward and make exposures as different parts come into focus in the viewfinder. I kept the exposures mostly lined up by using the engraved focus spot in the viewfinder on a subject body point as I moved in.

Make a focus stack from maybe 10 shots in photoshop.

A-grasshopper-on-a-milkweed-leaf-in-Roug

I would like to experiment a bit with macro photography, which is new territory for me. I bought a set of cheap extension tubes that I'm using with a vintage manual focus lens on one of my Sony NEX cameras. However, I'm finding that it is virtually impossible to accurately focus when using a tripod because I have to move the camera back and forth (focusing the lens is useless) at close quarters. I'm thinking of ordering an inexpensive focus rail slider like this one. Does anyone have experience with these gizmos? Do they actually work? Thanks.

P.S. I doubt that macro photography will become a passion, so I don't want to invest a lot of cash on equipment that I probably will hardly ever use.

i have confidence in Novoflex stuff John - in particular I use their lens adapters for Fuji and M43 bodies to Nikon F

They are very well made but are not cheap. Peruse their web site. See if you can trial one from a friend or local dealer & report!

These are what I would to buy [if I honestly believed I could be patient enough...]   http://www.novoflex.com/en/products/macro-accessories/focusing-racks/

I believe focus stacking is really quite the thing now btw - looks like it might open up quite a new world

Best wishes

John

I have a slider rail but I never use it because it gets in the way, slows me down, and is just another thing to carry.

I took this image by hand holding a 100mm macro at F11 ISO 400 on a Canon 5D. Multiple exposures from foreground to far edge of the head. Only focus on the foreground for the first exposure. Do not refocus the lens, just rock forward and make exposures as different parts come into focus in the viewfinder. I kept the exposures mostly lined up by using the engraved focus spot in the viewfinder on a subject body point as I moved in.

Make a focus stack from maybe 10 shots in photoshop.

A-grasshopper-on-a-milkweed-leaf-in-Roug

Impressive sharpness. Thanks for the tip Not sure I have the patience (or the know-how) to do all that processing, though.

Archived