Sign in to follow this  
Number Six

'No Restriction' cropping?

Probably a stupid question but, as far as QC is concerned, are there any problems associated with using the 'No Restriction' option for cropping?

I've only ever used the 'Use Photo Ratio' option but have just come across an image where cropping using a standard ratio doesn't really work.

Appreciate any views and, if it is a dumb question, I'll blame it on Parkin's Special Bitter...

Cheers

John

I often use unconstrained cropping, usually to a squarer format. There is nothing magic or sacrosanct about the "standard" image formats. Crop it as the picture needs - I try not to crop too tightly so as to leave designers room to manouever

Edited by Martin P Wilson

Martin - many thanks for your reassuring comment about not necessarily adhering to 'standard' image formats. It was just something I had not really thought about before. I also take your excellent point about not cropping too tightly. Indeed, I try not to crop normally for that very reason.

Cheers

John

4:3 and 1:1 cropped images show up as larger thumbnails on Alamy, This makes them stand out on a page full of thumbnails.