Copyright Theft - legal Status of removing watermarks?

I am pleased to say that this has been settled and I have received around 5 times what it would have cost them if they had licenced the pictures as batch from Alamy. It looked as though it was going to get complicated when the third party with whom I had a written agreement was dragged into it; however they  were supportive of my position. I was prepared to take it to small claims stream of Intellectual Property and Enterprise Court in London; in that case I would have been seeking three times the compensation but pitched at level the directors could dip into their pocket themselves for a quick settlement. Took 10 days from the issue of the claim for compensation, just under 3 weeks from notifying the infringer of my intention to seek compensation.

But it was getting very stressful for a while - I will get myself organised and register with ImageRights for the future - I want to be a photographer not a lawyer.

I am pleased to say that this has been settled and I have received around 5 times what it would have cost them if they had licenced the pictures as batch from Alamy. It looked as though it was going to get complicated when the third party with whom I had a written agreement was dragged into it; however they  were supportive of my position. I was prepared to take it to small claims stream of Intellectual Property and Enterprise Court in London; in that case I would have been seeking three times the compensation but pitched at level the directors could dip into their pocket themselves for a quick settlement. Took 10 days from the issue of the claim for compensation, just under 3 weeks from notifying the infringer of my intention to seek compensation.

But it was getting very stressful for a while - I will get myself organised and register with ImageRights for the future - I want to be a photographer not a lawyer.

Great to hear of your positive outcome Martin.  Thankfully I am not in that position as no one seems to want my images, even for free. :angry:

Allan

Great to hear of your positive outcome Martin.  Thankfully I am not in that position as no one seems to want my images, even for free. :angry:

Allan

I know the feeling!

Not. yet. Linda gave me her affiliate code and I registered but got caught up dealing with my little local difficulty. I haven't uploaded any images yet, probably start week after next when I am back from a trip. I will give the free service a try and see where we get to by Easter when I will be six months into my photography relaunch. If you want to give it a try you might as well use Linda's link below and give her a little credit.

Linda said:

>>>

I collect some cases on my own but give the majority to imagerights PRIOR to me having any contact with the infringer. Imagerights only takes a fee if they win. I have images uploaded to their database as it's much quicker to push cases thru.

I've been with them for three years now,they've won many cases.Not all,but many.

I'm signed up for the $295 deal.If they take someone to court,they pick up the cost. They don't go after blogs or social media use. You don't have to do that though.You can pay the $50 per case.But I submit many cases so the $295 a year is a no brainer.It also nets me 55% of the amount they collect.

They just won $3000 for me last week.

If you'd like to  sign up with them,PLEASE use my affiliate link  at:

https://www.imagerig...signup?aid=4898

<<<

I like the idea of letting someone else deal with infringements while I get on with being a photographer. I have one other that I will take on myself with a UK national newspaper that has failed to report a usage on their self billing scheme, not an Alamy sale but another agency (I no longer use them) who are poor at policing their clients. I plan to use it as an intro to the picture desk and hopefully create awareness of what I can offer.

Signed up using Linda's link ;)

Will start uploading images tomorrow. Do they want full size images or will 1024px longest side be enough?

I asked IR, got a prompt response,  and they said 800-1200 - I believe Linda uses 1200. I am planning to use 1000 for both ImageRights and US Copyright Office.

Will start uploading images tomorrow. Do they want full size images or will 1024px longest side be enough?

I asked IR, got a prompt response,  and they said 800-1200 - I believe Linda uses 1200. I am planning to use 1000 for both ImageRights and US Copyright Office.

Oh dear!  More work reducing image files for ImageRights.

Allan

Allan

Not really - I can do it when I create images to upload - two parallel process recipes. Or do it as part of the upload if ImageRights use FTP uploads. Even if I do it separately it is a simple select and process, 2 or 3 mouse clicks.

Allan

Not really - I can do it when I create images to upload - two parallel process recipes. Or do it as part of the upload if ImageRights use FTP uploads. Even if I do it separately it is a simple select and process, 2 or 3 mouse clicks.

Possibly batch process catalogued files in LR or CS?

Allan

Allan

Possibly batch process catalogued files in LR or CS?

Allan

Similar but I use Capture 1. Or I will do a save as using PhotoMechanic from my upload folders to create folder with the smaller size images - a couple of clicks and time for a quick coffee!

Archived