Is Food Not Worthy of RM Anymore?

I have been working with the Getty RM, the original house collection since 1994. Once, subjects like food, etc, even certain Travel was considered as good RM stock- I remember even some of our most famous food photographers used to sell RM.

Today however, RM, is all creative conceptual imagery.

If youre asking about here at Alamy in specific, I don't know, here the search seems to be a giant bag of mixture of creative, editorial, this, that, buyers seem to find everything and yet nothing. Anybodies guess I suppose.

Good post Christian.  But I'm afraid the topic is now pies. 

I have been working with the Getty RM, the original house collection since 1994. Once, subjects like food, etc, even certain Travel was considered as good RM stock- I remember even some of our most famous food photographers used to sell RM.

If youre asking about here at Alamy in specific, I don't know, here the search seems to be a giant bag of mixture of creative, editorial, this, that, buyers seem to find everything and yet nothing. Anybodies guess I suppose.

Or eating models.

I hope this isn't stating the obvious but the first thing I do when thinking of shooting food is visit Alamy Measures. This time of year, %pumpkin is a good search choice.  If people are searching for it, someone wants to buy it.  You just have to have the one they're looking for. 

Ah Ok then!  I have a Cornish Pastry please! talking about pastries, there is a guy with one of the leading micros. 6000 pics i his portfolio and some 90% are pies and pastries and they DO sell big-time.

Christian, there are a few folks that do that - and they are also here.  With relation to my original question, I wonder if they are licensing these images as RF so they can also license them via the micros (there are a couple of people who I will not name that disregard the contract that states we must sell RF as RF and RM as RM, but that is a different topic) or if they are licensing them as RF because that's what the customer wants?

I think one financial disadvantage to licensing food as RF (or anything for that matter) is the inability to track the image usage which is a disadvantage for DACS claims and textbook sales....but then again, would an image of food make a textbook on a regular basis?

Christian, there are a few folks that do that - and they are also here.  With relation to my original question, I wonder if they are licensing these images as RF so they can also license them via the micros (there are a couple of people who I will not name that disregard the contract that states we must sell RF as RF and RM as RM, but that is a different topic) or if they are licensing them as RF because that's what the customer wants?

I think one financial disadvantage to licensing food as RF (or anything for that matter) is the inability to track the image usage which is a disadvantage for DACS claims and textbook sales....but then again, would an image of food make a textbook on a regular basis?

There isn't a great deal of difference between RM and RF on Alamy.  RF will often be sold as RM (for a specific usage - in fact that appears to be the default option) and some RM sales look suspiciously like RF.  The top price of £220 is very low and very poor for commercial work (£579 at Getty for the collection I am in).  In fact RF pricing appplied to agency work on Alamy is significantly higher.

It seems to me that that the only reason anyone would have to opt for RF would be so that it could be sold on the micros - probably a sensible option for stock shots of pies, food on a plate etc.  In fact a no brainer.

Archived