Is Food Not Worthy of RM Anymore?

. Oh, another last thing: I'll bet real money that Allan's "Spag Bol" is just a can of tomato sauce with meat and NOT a proper Italian Bolognese.    :D  

I'll have you know Ed I spend quite a bit of time in the kitchen producing my Spaghetti Bolognese meals. I always cook up enough for six servings at a time too and freeze four servings for later when I don't have enough time to do it properly.

Virgin olive oil in pan then chopped onions with carrot cooked till onion is done. Keep stirring.

Then meat, either beef or lately lamb (yes it tastes good), cooked till meat is not red. Keep stirring.

Add chopped tomatoes with a large helping of tomato puree. Keep stirring.

Add some gravy browning and garlic followed by Oregano. Keep stirring.

Then I add my "piece de resistance" a tablespoon of clear honey. Keep stirring.

Cook a further 15 minutes to reduce the liquid stirring all the time.

Admittedly it may not be a kosher Italian Bolognese but it has been given the seal of approval by those who have tried it.

Oh! and I always use wholewheat spaghetti, tastes better than the white stuff.

If you are ever in blighty call me and I will treat you to a helping. ;)

Allan

Ettas_pan-seared_Alaskan_halibut_beluga_

This is a signature dish at Etta's in Seattle. A bit too much going on, I think. I prefer my fish grilled and simple, olive oil and lemon.

Allan -- forgive me! I was pulling your leg. That sounds tasty, actually. :)

I'm gonna make a risotto today. After all the preps are done, the onions and garlic, it takes 25 minutes of constant mixing of the arborio rice in the pan, adding white wine and chicken stock, and finally adding the mushrooms and spinach, some herbs. 

Ah, a cook-in. I wish I could have shared this risotto with all you people . . . delizioso!  But pointless to do for just me. I just wanted to be sure I could still make it -- a very easy dish to screw up. 

Sad news today: Jack Bruce of Cream died. Okay, he was a screwup, but a very talented one . . . and he was a friend of my son, another great bass player. I'm used to losing jazz people, my people, but when the rockers disappear that's not good. Tears for Jack, tears for us all. 

But pointless to do for just me. I just wanted to be sure I could still make it -- a very easy dish to screw up. 

I love having all my family round and cooking for them, but a great indulgence is to cook something simple really well just for me. Doing nice things for yourself sometimes as well as for other people is really important. And the risotto sounds great - hope you had a glass of something special with it.

waiting for when I get out of jail.

Betty

Not you as well Betty.

Now it is really getting crowded in here. NO I do NOT mean you are overweight. Just seems to be a few in here who could be doing better things - like making Alamy even more money. ;)

Allan

Have a fried pie, Alan. They turned out well. Not fat now, But might as well get fat while we're in here.

I will bring my Tarte Citron, but it might be a bit sharp for many American tastes - you might have have to eat it with sweetened whipped vanilla cream. I did one from an American recipe, I halved the sugar and it was still too sweet for me - it was part of my search for the perfect recipe. Well, that was my excuse.

I love doing risottos, something meditative about the attention they need and it so easy to be creative with them. My wife does a baked beetroot risotto which is dead easy but it is not Zen. It ends up bright Barbie pink though!

Allan -- forgive me! I was pulling your leg. That sounds tasty, actually. :)

Nothing to forgive Ed. Realised it was in fun, just wanted to impart my recipe. B)

Allan

I will bring my Tarte Citron, but it might be a bit sharp for many American tastes - you might have have to eat it with sweetened whipped vanilla cream. I did one from an American recipe, I halved the sugar and it was still too sweet for me - it was part of my search for the perfect recipe. Well, that was my excuse.

I love doing risottos, something meditative about the attention they need and it so easy to be creative with them. My wife does a baked beetroot risotto which is dead easy but it is not Zen. It ends up bright Barbie pink though!

Yum.  Tarte Citron.  Yum. Yum. Yum.

Have you got a picture of the beetroot risotto up for licence?  Barbie pink risotto sounds like the sort of thing to accompany healthy eating for children articles - you know, the 'how to fool your child into eating beetroot' / Jamie O. sort of things.

My 'Zen' cooking thing is soup - I have just made a huge 'cauldron' of lentil soup last night. Saturday nights aint what the used to be!

I'd bring my pavlova - it's far too sweet for me, but I would have a go at it anyway - just to be polite.

http://c1.alamy.com/thumbs/4/%7B05A138A3-D07C-47AE-BD2F-23CB1EF899A0%7D/E1WX47.jpg

I'm making roast today. I'll bring it.  Dead simple.  

Beef chuck roast, a package of Lipton's dry onion soup sprinkled over, a can of Campbell's cream of mushroom soup over that with one soup can or bit less of water. No other salt added, but can add pepper.  Bake until within an hour of being tender at 350, then add carrots, a large quartered onion, and quartered potatoes. Bake another hour to hour and a half.  I like my carrots firm, not mushy.

Alternate...don't add potatoes and instead boil and mash them. The onion soup and mushroom soup with water makes a gravy, perfect for mashed potatoes.

There are only 3 fried pies left...did one of you sneak into the kitchen last night???

Your roast sounds great, Betty. I have to admit that I have never had a fried apricot pie - if you get a minute would you mind posting your recipe please?  You may be single handedly responsible for introducing fried apricot pies to the UK  :)

Sorry, I seem to be dragging this thread OT.  I can't help myself, sorry.

"Sorry, I seem to be dragging this thread OT.  I can't help myself, sorry." L

If I can just drag it back again for a few seconds.  It's strange that this thread is mainly about cooking.  Stock shots of cooked food are pretty far into the microstock spectrum these days (been warned by a CD: 'don't go there').  But as a subject it is much bigger than this. 

I'm working on food related ideas at the moment (not telling).  A past example (am telling because can't be done anymore except with CGI which won't work properly):  a studio setup of tins of GM tomato puree seemingly stacked on a supermarket shelf done back in 2000 has grossed five figures and sold repeatedly for textbook use around the world. 

Think science, health, social sciences, politics, what the average American eats, the culture around food etc etc and you've got your RM subjects.

Ah, if the chef is planning to let you eat it for free, then it's HIS food. If you are paying for it, then it's YOUR food to do with as you please  :)

Of course precious chefs and waiters wouldn't see it like that - nor would they see the potential free publicity that your shot might get them.  Short sighted.

As with a credit/by-line in a magazine instead of a fee for one of your images - a photograph of a plate of food is pretty useless in terms of publicity unless accompanying an article about the restaurant or the chef....

You might have bought the food but what you are paying for is to eat it. Just like if you pay to go an see Michael Macintyre at one of his shows you pay to go and watch not ruin the show for everyone else by chatting at him while he is doing his routine...

(recent UK news story)

The restaurant is private land, and the staff have a responsibility to preserve the atmosphere for the other diners. They/he might be concerned you are photographing the arrangement of the food to copy it (much like some stores prevent window displays being photographed, or artists their paintings. That might not be as relevant for a bowl of soup as it is a signature dish - but then you have to set a policy and stick to it.

As to the OP - I'd set mine at RM. Less of a difference now than their used to be - but with RM I'm in control of the image (or at least know where it might have been used) and have less restrictions should I choose to sell it myself of via another agency than I would had it gone out RF.

Well, I was being a bit light-hearted, guess my smiley didn't work. I don't agree that I'm paying to eat it though, if I don't eat it, I still have to pay. I don't want to argue over it though.  

Will we be seeing restaurant menus printed with 'don't photograph the food' - or is that already done? I suppose the easiest thing is to ask first, then they have the option to say no.

Well, I was being a bit light-hearted, guess my smiley didn't work. I don't agree that I'm paying to eat it though, if I don't eat it, I still have to pay. I don't want to argue over it though.  

Will we be seeing restaurant menus printed with 'don't photograph the food' - or is that already done? I suppose the easiest thing is to ask first, then they have the option to say no.

No, I'd just take the photo. It is easier to seek forgiveness than permission.

Your roast sounds great, Betty. I have to admit that I have never had a fried apricot pie - if you get a minute would you mind posting your recipe please?  You may be single handedly responsible for introducing fried apricot pies to the UK  :)

Sorry, I seem to be dragging this thread OT.  I can't help myself, sorry.

Ah, I wish I could do that.  But I don't have a recipe, it would be more a matter of you standing at my elbow and watching how I fly by the seat of my pants!  Thanks for your interest, anyway!

After that great pie sale, Betty, did you in fact eat the pie? Hmm. Thinking about it, you must have eaten the pie long before that sale. (I won't delete this lame though, but just ignore it.)  :wacko:

Oh, yes, we ate the pie.  I baked it to eat, then after the fact decided to photograph it.

The fried pies...well...I had stock in mind, and that was the main motivation in making them.  They are a pain to make.  I spent two hours (at least) in the process and made 9 fried pies.  When you see the plctures of them, once I'm out of the sin bin, you will drool.  That is, if you enjoy seeing flaky crust.

After that great pie sale, Betty, did you in fact eat the pie? Hmm. Thinking about it, you must have eaten the pie long before that sale. (I won't delete this lame though, but just ignore it.)  :wacko:

Oh, yes, we ate the pie.  I baked it to eat, then after the fact decided to photograph it.

The fried pies...well...I had stock in mind, and that was the main motivation in making them.  They are a pain to make.  I spent two hours (at least) in the process and made 9 fried pies.  When you see the plctures of them, once I'm out of the sin bin, you will drool.  That is, if you enjoy seeing flaky crust.

Thank you for the fried pie you gave me a while back Betty it was yummy. Have you any left, PLEASE. :)

Allan

Thank you for the fried pie you gave me a while back Betty it was yummy. Have you any left, PLEASE. :)

Allan

Allan, the pies are history. I love eating my models.

I have been working with the Getty RM, the original house collection since 1994. Once, subjects like food, etc, even certain Travel was considered as good RM stock- I remember even some of our most famous food photographers used to sell RM.

Today however, RM, is all creative conceptual imagery.

If youre asking about here at Alamy in specific, I don't know, here the search seems to be a giant bag of mixture of creative, editorial, this, that, buyers seem to find everything and yet nothing. Anybodies guess I suppose.

Allan

Allan, the pies are history. I love eating my models.

I'm pleased you are not taking my portrait. :D

Allan

Archived